Acoustic Theory at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 8th, 2015, 05:23 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Acoustic Theory

I'm interested in recommendations on books/papers/websites on acoustically treating rooms.

I'm remodeling a daylight basement as a multipurpose AV, music, whatever room. It's roughly 25 x 15 x 8, which isn't far from dimensions of 3x2x1, which would be terrible. At least it's not a perfect cube...

I've just added a wood floor. The room has some small windows and a sliding glass door. With the bookshelves removed it's a real echo box.

I've purchased some Corning 703 panels and will use burlap covering as a design element in the room. I will also be building in some new bookshelves, which work great as diffusers and bass traps - simply pull the books out from the back a bit to leave space and stagger them to diffuse the sound.

The thing about the 703 panels is that I'm not sure how many would be optimal. Use none and the room is too live. Surround yourself in them and it's too dead. So what's the correct balance?

Anyway, this is for a residential room and it's a budget, DIY project. I don't need perfection here, but I'd rather be a bit more informed so that I'm not just randomly adding treatment and saying, "hey, that sounds better. Well, maybe..."

Thanks in advance!
Old July 8th, 2015, 07:30 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Acoustic Theory

Lots of info here https://www.gearslutz.com/board/stud...look-here.html
Jim Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2015, 06:07 AM   #3
Equal Opportunity Offender

This is also worth a watch: Studio Rescue | Do you need your studio rescued?

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2015, 06:12 AM   #4
Equal Opportunity Offender

.. and here, too.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2015, 07:45 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Jon, I had the same thought years ago and found, Auralex Acoustics | Total Sound Control

They helped me design a room 8' x 15' that is so dry you feel your voice ends 6" from the mouth. My reason for the sound proof dry room was so I can play my drums and not bug the neighbors. It took years before my closest neighbor knew I was playing.

I built it myself over a week. It is so heavy I needed to reinforce the structure under it. Soundproof floor, moving soundproof walls and ceiling with their 1/8" material and standard building materials, base traps in the corners, mid-range foam on the walls and ceiling and diffusers on the ceiling. Not cheap, but you can go many levels and I am sure not have to go to the extreme I went. For me when I am in they’re with a bass guitar and rhythm guitar we need all the extremes I went through on the build. A must is hearing protection if you exceed 80db.

And since then I have used it to record not just music but narrative, interviews, and it is a dream to use. You have full control over the sound and if you ever want to know which is the better mic, this room will show it quickly.

I suggest you go to their site and read a lot of the free info and then contact them directly. They are dialed.

Auralex Acoustics | Total Sound Control

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Paul Cronin; July 10th, 2015 at 11:33 AM.
Paul Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2015, 11:21 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Jon, I'm interested to know where you sourced 703 in the area? I've recently heard that Pure Distribution has it, though I tried a few years ago to find it locally and wasn't able to find it except in cut panels via UPS/Freight... which seemed much to costly. A local-ish source would be much appreciated if you have it!

I've seen Live End / Dead End (LEDE) applied in studios as an end of the room that is pretty dead, the other end live and diffuse. Peformers/instruments are then placed to one end or the other to balance by ear. I've seen the same techniques applied in control rooms / mixing rooms, dead at the front, live and diffuse behind.

Frequency diffusion is accomplished via QRD Diffusors (see here and here).
Old July 10th, 2015, 02:45 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Thanks all!

Seth, I purchased my materials online. Yeah, shipping costs nearly as much as the material. Oh well.

BTW, I posted the same question over at V I Control (the go-to forum for film composers), and got some additional detailed answers. One poster offered a large list of books. Rather than copy his post here, I'll copy one, key sentence:

> "Where to start? That is a bit tougher, but I guess Sound System Engineering (Don Davis), Project Studios (Philip Newell), Studio Acoustics (Michael Rettinger), Building a Recording Studion (Jeff Cooper) and Audio System Design and Installation (Philip Giddings) would be my first pass."

Great stuff!
Old July 17th, 2015, 03:11 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Bloombaum View Post
Jon, I'm interested to know where you sourced 703 in the area? ...
Commercial/Mechanical/HVAC insulation suppliers have it, they are kinda under the radar but around.

I found a thread from a few years ago on Gearslutz:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-m...-portland.html

Fran
Fran Guidry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2015, 11:58 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Thanks Fran! I expect to need more panels and it will really help the bottom line to get a local supply.

FWIW, here are some photos of the room in progress...

Jon Fairhurst - Remodeling Photos
Old July 21st, 2015, 01:30 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
...I expect to need more panels and it will really help the bottom line to get a local supply...
I tried to go through all the HVAC suppliers in the Portland area a couple years ago, and ended up having to switch to loose rockwool rather than panels. I was making traps, so the product was fine. Couldn't find 703 over the counter. There was a new supplier just being set up in Seattle at that time.

But then I visited a college studio here, and got to talking with the systems engineer. He'd sourced it from Pure Distribution in NW industrial Portland. Haven't had to check that out yet, but I'm hopeful that will turn out to be a good lead.

Maybe you'll get there first, Jon. If so, do let me know!

Regarding HVAC suppliers; large jobs order on lengthy timelines, small jobs typically use soft materials for wrapping ductwork which is more readily available.

What I'd love to try is rockwool panels. They're competitive with 703/704, but no outgassing of formaldehyde, which is a component of the glue used to make the fiberglass rigid in 703. The smell dissipates after a while...

And yes. It's ridiculous to have to UPS half-panels or quarter-panels for a medium or large treatment. I'm not willing to pay the freight! It's like shipping 2x4s, but let's cut them down to fit in a UPS truck...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio