Name this noise...no wireless involved. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 19th, 2015, 09:22 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: Name this noise...no wireless involved.

Remember that there is medical equipment that has effectively a cell phone built in, typically for telemetry (like heart monitors, etc.).
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2015, 04:40 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Cables, to me, are just cables. If I open the cable trunk, I use whatever is near the top. All decent cable, but not crazy stuff, just good screening and tough. Connectors are mainly Neutrik. Length is immaterial unless I specifically need a particular length - but the majority are 6-15m. If I get the occasional one that is faulty through abuse or accidental damage, I tie a knot in the end, and chuck it in the dud bin, and maybe one day fix it, but a fair few I just scrap, time costs more than a new one sometimes!

I'm intrigued about not coiling? Coiling cables is every newbies first skill to learn. All the usual methods - half twist each turn, reversed twists each coil and the techniques go on and on.

However - ALL my cables are in coils and taped. NONE are folded or wrapped around an arm - and that is the surest way to get yelled at in every venue I visit. Coil cables with no twists and they last for years!
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2015, 07:30 AM   #18
Trustee

Making neat coils in ACTIVE mic cables may slightly increase their susceptibility to electromagnetic interference. Although proper, professional mic cables are balanced and mostly immune because of their differential nature.

Proper rolling cables for storage and transport is a completely different issue. I store and transport longer cables (in general, >3m) plugged end-to-end on those orange reels from Home Depot.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2015, 11:59 AM   #19
Inner Circle

I concur with the above.. Atypical cable induced Bluetooth interference. Star-quad cables may help attenuating this and other RF problems.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2015, 12:47 PM   #20
Trustee

That phone was very likely to be in the room with you. I say that because you asked six people to turn them off. People are very protective of their phones these days. Some are very resistive to turning them off. I have been outright lied to many times. Some try to fake it. Many go to vibrate mode and say it is off. I have even had them turn it off, and then turn it back on before they get to the stage. I do not even bring up airplane mode unless they do. I ask for them to be fully powered down.

Where it gets fun is when we are doing live sound reinforcement. The old Blackberrys are the worst. So you do all you can to inform the guy and ask for cooperation. They say they will but don't. It is interesting when a Blackberry in a breast pocket of the suit, on vibrate, goes off inches away from the lav you put on him. Not only do you take the RF hits you can hear it vibrating over the PA. The guy is usually looking at you from the stage like WTF? Shocked that it is really causing the problem you told him it would cause. You both know what happened, he did not believe you and thought he was to important to turn it off. And you the audio guy look like an idiot as the PA cracks with every ring of the phone! You can not just call stop and do another take in every situation. After he gets off the stage he comes back and lies to you again and says it was a mistake...he thought it was off but somehow it mysteriously did not go off, ...yea right ;-)

Steve

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio