Studio monitor speakers - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 23rd, 2015, 07:37 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: Studio monitor speakers

Going from the stereo 3.5mm out of the computer to the unbalanced RCA connectors of the Senal ASM-3 monitors would be the simplest method. And the specs say the pair comes with a cable to do this included.

As has been discussed here lately in the forum, the built-in audio outputs of most computers often have a lot of noise.

I didn't know if you had a USB audio interface or other equipment like a mixer planned for use between the computer, the monitors and any other audio sources you might be using.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2015, 03:53 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Massengill View Post
Going from the stereo 3.5mm out of the computer to the unbalanced RCA connectors of the Senal ASM-3 monitors would be the simplest method. And the specs say the pair comes with a cable to do this included.

As has been discussed here lately in the forum, the built-in audio outputs of most computers often have a lot of noise.

I didn't know if you had a USB audio interface or other equipment like a mixer planned for use between the computer, the monitors and any other audio sources you might be using.
I don't have anything else planned to use. No mixer or anything like that. So can I plug in the speakers directly to my computer?
Kathy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2015, 06:10 AM   #18
Trustee

Yes, you should be able to connect these powered speakers directly into the audio out of your computer using a standard 3.5mm stereo to 2x RCA cable.

The specs don't say how long the included cable is, but you can easily find a longer or shorter one if needed.

What kind of computer are you using?
Old June 24th, 2015, 07:47 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Massengill View Post
Yes, you should be able to connect these powered speakers directly into the audio out of your computer using a standard 3.5mm stereo to 2x RCA cable.

The specs don't say how long the included cable is, but you can easily find a longer or shorter one if needed.

What kind of computer are you using?
But if I connect them directly to the computer will I have issues with noise? I thought you suggested using an external interface.
I'm using Mac Pro.
Old June 24th, 2015, 07:56 AM   #20
Trustee

Please note that virtually all sound interfaces INSIDE computers (no matter what brand or model) are noisy. Some much worse than others, but many are usable depending on your tolerance of low-level "digital hash" The standard method of getting around this endemic problem is to use an external (USB) sound interface. Even something as cheap and simple as a Behringer UCA-222 can be a vast improvement over this noise problem in many computers.

Please note that you should actually TRY the speakers with the sound output of your computer FIRST before you can know if your particular combination will be a problem or not.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2015, 08:11 AM   #21
Inner Circle

It 's nice to a one of your monitor sets w/ a sub for checking infrasonic content that normal speakers won't reproduce, like LF rumble, plosives, ect.. Like microphones, one (set) of speakers is rarely adequate for broadcast work.. I mix with four sets; large, small nearfields and reference cubes, and a (in my case Auratones) and 'typical' home stereo speakers. Compromises are often necessary to sound good on all.

I too would recommend going to B&H to audition monitors. Monitors are like headphones, everyone's got their favorites. A subjective cthoice at best.

FWIW, I have a set of Equator D5's that sound good (IMO). Good deal as well, around $300 for two. They are sold directly to the buyer, so there's no added distributor/dealer costs). Designed by Ted Keffalo. Prior to Equator, Ted co-founded Event..
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2015, 10:56 AM   #22
Trustee

I agree with the "Try It and Listen" advice. You have nothing to lose.

If you need to do anything else beyond the simplest monitoring, or if you do have noise problems, then I do recommend an external interface.

It's an inexpensive way to gain a lot of flexibility in connecting to and from your computer, as well as getting lower noise and more durable connectors than 3.5mm stereo mini.
Old June 24th, 2015, 11:53 AM   #23
Major Player

Thank you. The speakers are coming tomorrow. I will report back after I listen how they sound.
Old June 24th, 2015, 02:10 PM   #24
Major Player

Great info.

If the line out or internal audio out is kind of crappy, would this work?

I have an M-Audio Fastrack Pro USB audio interface that I was using to record guitar stuff. I believe that I can choose the M-Audio as an output source from all of my audio in the preferences on the Mac. The M-Audio has 4 RCA outputs on the back, as well as two TRS 1/4" outputs.

Would one of these be a better option? I'm guessing that one of the TRS would go into the left speaker and the other to the right, although they are not labeled on the outputs left and right.

Jonathan
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2015, 04:22 PM   #25
Trustee

That is correct Johnathan. That Fast Track Pro is exactly the kind of USB interface device they have been talking about here. It will not only allow you to feed your speakers USB instead of 1/8 mini it will also work as an analog input device.

You are Mac so you should be OK. My Fast Track worked fine on XP but it is buggy on Windows 7. But that should be a new thread.

On near field monitors here is my 2 cents. I have nine speakers hooked up to my editing rig so I can tast my mix several ways. Recently I wanted a new pair of small light monitors I could hook up to an editing lap top I use on sets for client review. It is bad form to hand a client sweaty cans ;-)

For $200.00 I found these and was pleasantly surprised by how good they sound for such a low price:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/999888-REG/presonus_e4_5_hi_def_2_way_4_5_nr_fd.html
While I was researching in that range I found a lot of bad reviews about the M-Audio near fields. Apparently they put out one or two models that had power amps failing regularly right after warranty expiration...ouch.

Steve
Old June 24th, 2015, 04:55 PM   #26
Major Player

Hi Steve.

I've always had issues with the M Audio, mostly with input levels. I'm also pretty sure Avid took over the brand. Finding the latest drivers for it is always a challenge and I have pretty much resigned myself that it won't work ever again with some not to distant OS update.

I am quite excited and wiggley at Richards review of the JBLs, and for once aomething thats only a few hundred dollars instead of thousands which I thought you had to spend for decent monitors!

And yes, my Sony 7506 headphones is what I now use for audio grading.

Currently, my "monitor" are Logitech something or other that consist of a sub, and 5 little desktop speakers.

Cheers.

Jonathan
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2015, 05:42 PM   #27
Major Player

I got my Senal speakers and they sound great! I'm really happy with them. I do not have any problem with noise plugging them in directly to my computer. So I think I'm good!
Old June 27th, 2015, 06:20 AM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy Smith View Post
Can you guys recommend a set of small studio monitor speakers that perform well in small places? I was looking at Genelec 8020c but they are a bit out of my budget. I would prefer to spend around $500 for two and the Genelec ones are over $500 for both. Is there anything out there that's within my budget?
On that budget I would go for the Equator D5 - only $399.99 in the USA - excellent quality for the price and better than many more expensive models.

Also - they are co-axial monitors which have an excellent stereo image with depth.
Old June 27th, 2015, 06:23 AM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Reineke View Post
FWIW, I have a set of Equator D5's that sound good (IMO). Good deal as well, around $300 for two. They are sold directly to the buyer, so there's no added distributor/dealer costs). Designed by Ted Keffalo. Prior to Equator, Ted co-founded Event..
Yes - I posted before I read this.

The D5 is the only sub-$1,000 monitor worth getting, IMHO, other than the more expensive D8 (which is also under $1k).
Old June 27th, 2015, 07:06 AM   #30
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Levin View Post
This is very interesting to me as well. Would the 1/8" line out from a mac pro to the balanced 1/4" in on the speakers be best?

Maybe I need to start a new thread.

J
Likely to be a level mismatch there. Computer 1/8 line outs are -10dBv consumer line while I would expect a balanced 1/4 TRS to be +4dBu studio line level.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio