Anyone adopt Sennheiser AVX yet? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 3rd, 2015, 02:18 PM   #1
Wrangler

Anyone adopt Sennheiser AVX yet?

Just wondering if anyone here has moved to Sennheiser AVX kit yet, and if so, how do you like it?
Old July 3rd, 2015, 11:51 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Anyone adopt Sennheiser AVX yet?

I placed it in the basket on B&H, but then went to read the manual to make sure there was nothing weird about it. Found a concern.

"Displaying or adjusting the receiver‘s audio output
level

To display and correctly adjust the receiver‘s output level:
Make sure that the radio link is established.

If your video or DSLR camera has an automatic level control, the automatic
level control must be deactivated.

The receiver also has an automatic level control which cannot be deactivated.
If both the automatic level control of the video camera and the automatic
level control of the receiver are active, they will interfere with one
another."

ALC ONLY? At least the transmitters have a 4 selection gain switch in the menu. But seriously, ALC?

Also, the combo kit comes with an MD42 omni capsule, the handheld purchased alone comes with an e835 cardoid capsule. You can buy and change capsules anytime you wish, but the packages are fixed.

MANUAL: http://en-us.sennheiser.com/global-d...06_2015_EN.pdf

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2015, 03:56 AM   #3
Inner Circle

You are thinking with your analogue head on! The Line 6 systems I use are very similar, reading the blurb.

The key is that the dynamic range is really huge - so in my case, a singer can stick the lips onto the mic grill and belt, without the transmitter distorting, yet I can put one on a stand and hear people at a distance without much noise at all. The receiver has a variable output level, as the Sennheiser does, to match the receiver to the type of input. If you use the auto level control on the camera or recorder, you will just squash the available dynamic range, and possibly push it into distortion, if you have the output too high. On my systems, all I do is treat it like a good microphone, and set the output to the maximum anticipated input level of the recorder or mixer, then back off a tiny bit. I suspect the Sennheiser is exactly the same. Very wide potential dynamic range, with a stepped output level. I can see the point of an auto gain control for a few applications, but not this one. I see no automatic level adjustment in the Sennheiser. Just adjustable output and a sensible warning about auto gain 'interfering', which may be just a poor choice of word. On my systems, it is possible to run out of fader travel - yesterday a dance show with both a belter, yelling into one, and some little kids in a choir who hardly made any sound. The fader was nearly off for one and needed a little extra gain for the other. Any form of auto gain would have to have a VERY wide range of adjustment to have coped.

The spec on these Sennheisers seems very similar to the Line 6s I'm using. If I needed a camera version, Line 6 don't make one, so I would be happy to try a Sennheiser, as my Line 6 experience has been very good.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2015, 02:10 AM   #4
Trustee

Saw an interview with a Sennheiser guy, and his explanation was more akin to a very good LIMITER, with no "pumping" up of lesser sounds when the input decreases. I figured I would take a chance, so I order a full 3 piece kit up, should arrive Thursday. :)

Paul
Old July 12th, 2015, 04:07 AM   #5
Trustee

Well, turns out the ALC isn't a problem. What is the problem is that the audio signal is horrible, and unsuitable for EFP, or even memorable "vows" IMO. You know that shrill metallic ringing you get in high frequencies on a very low bitrate MP3? Well, that is what the AVX sounds like. Listen to the first use I had with it below. The effect is more obvious with a good pair of headphones, but the metallic tone is evident in the very first word out of my mouth. The YouTube conversion sounds exactly like the RAW camera clip, it's bad folks. This is using the stick ME2 lav.

Old July 12th, 2015, 06:10 AM   #6
Trustee

Yuk that is very peaky at all the wrong frequencies, maybe the ME2 is more suited to analogue radio systems as mine don't sound like that on my G2's
Old July 12th, 2015, 09:42 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I certainly not a fan of the ME2, but it does not sound like a mic issue. I also heard one or two 'hits' (of some kind). Maybe the system is faulty.
I assume Sennheiser would check out the system and repair or replace it, especially since Paul has credibility.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2015, 08:17 PM   #8
Trustee

I also have a reputation for not being happy with products, and complaining about them. :-)

So, can a lav mic actually be bad to a point where it can sound like that? I have another mic off a G something Sennheiser system that would plug into the lav transmitter, I will test that out tonight.

Paul
Old July 12th, 2015, 10:55 PM   #9
Equal Opportunity Offender

I'm noticing your definite American accent more than any other issue. :-P

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2015, 12:40 AM   #10
Trustee

Americans have no accent, we are like wine devoid of flavor, water if you will, no taste. :-P

Paul
Old July 13th, 2015, 02:56 AM   #11
Trustee

Here is another test, done with a replacement lav plugged in, and also on a different camera. The MP3 sound is still present, but more noticeable in this clip is the UNCONTROLLABLE over-modulation, evident in the voice rattling and buzzing at it's peaks. Since this system offers absolutely NO LEVEL or GAIN adjustments for the microphone transmitter, you are basically stuck with these issues.

For reference, I turned down the audio INPUT on my camera until the VU was PeAKING around -20db, or halfway up my VU meter. Turning it up or down has no effect on the microphone problems, it just increases or increases the level of the received GARBAGE. This is the exact same reason I sold off my $170 Sony Bluetooth MIS wireless system. It also offered NO mic gain control, so I got the same uncontrollable over-modulation. It was more convenient, just pop it n the MIS shoe, but it cost almost 10x less.

I am rereading the manual to see if I possibly missed something, but I was pretty afraid of the damn ALC, but went ahead with my purchase based on another Paul's post above.

Old July 15th, 2015, 04:19 AM   #12
Sennheiser Broadcast Portfolio Manager

Hello Paul
The audio output of the AVX may be too loud causing an overload of the camera audio input. Try to set the level to the lowest possible by pressing the "AF Out" button on the AVX receiver repeatedly until only one red LED is on. This should solve it. If not you may contact me at sven.boetcher@sennheiser.com. I hope this helped.
Sven Boetcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2015, 11:05 PM   #13
Major Player

Both those clips sound OK to me. What am I missing. There are a few parts where the high frequencies clip just a bit. But if you are doing news capture stuff, maybe it doesn't matter so much. It's run and gun stuff. I think the sound is pretty good.
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2015, 06:46 AM   #14
Trustee

Thank you for interacting with customers Sven. :-)

The last clip was using a lav mic from a G3 system, hoping to improve the audio, and I wrap the lav cord around the receiver when I put it in my pocket, so I didn't want to hurt the brand new ME2! Is it possible the old G3 mic is too hot for the transmitter?

Paul
Old July 16th, 2015, 06:50 AM   #15
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Levin View Post
Both those clips sound OK to me. What am I missing. There are a few parts where the high frequencies clip just a bit. But if you are doing news capture stuff, maybe it doesn't matter so much. It's run and gun stuff. I think the sound is pretty good.
For ENG, this is totally acceptable. If you got hired by 20/20 or the BBC for an EFP gig, you might not be so lucky. For a small handheld camera (even like the Sony X70), I can see NO BETTER system to use, simply because it is so small and convenient, and it is impractical for handheld shooting extended periods to have a huge receiver bolted on in some way. I use a wireless very rarely, so the fact that I don't even realize there is a receiver attached to the camera is a HUGE deal!

The cheap G3 systems I have used a lot sound better, no "digital" sound to them, and are much cheaper if you don't need such a tiny device. Relax, it's a G3. :-P

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio