comparing AA batteries, at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 16th, 2015, 06:39 AM   #1
Regular Crew

comparing AA batteries,

I have always used 1,5 aa PROCELL batteries, but I am thinking to adopt rechargeable envelop pro, my doubt is about the voltage, pro cell are declared to be 1,5 v but envelop pro are 1,2. any opinion?
David Aliperti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2015, 07:01 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: comparing AA batteries,

It depends what your using them in...Most decent gear has internal voltage regulation so the 1.2 volts is not a problem. My G3s run 12 hours w/o issue on 1.2V Eneloops. Of course rechargeable batteries require additional organization, keeping charged/discharged sets/pairs separate and proper charging.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2015, 07:21 AM   #3
Major Player

I use Uniross hybrids, HiHM that hold a charge and have no memory effect. I use them in everything I possibly can and, because they hold a charge for a long time, it's easy to have a set already charged and waiting. It's just like using disposable batteries and I can recharge the flat ones at leisure.

A decent charger that will charge odd numbers makes life much easier. Many only charge pairs, a fat lot of good if you have a unit that takes 1 or 3 cells!

I have yet to have any device refuse to work due to rechargeable cells.

Dave
Dave Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2015, 12:08 PM   #4
Trustee

An alkaline (disposable) battery will be over 1.5 V when you take it out of the package, and have a nice slow even discharge to 1.1V when it won't power your device anymore. So the little battery icon on your wireless works properly.

NiMH AA's are 1.2V when you take then out of the charger and stay at 1.2V as long as you use them, until they suddenly cut off with basically no warning. So be prepared.

NiMHs work longer than alkalines, as noted above, I can go all day in a G3 with a set of NiMH batteries.

I initially bought the Eneloops when they were outrageously expensive (and I'm sure they still are).

Amazon brands two batteries as house brands - black ones and white ones. The white ones are Eneloop knockoffs, but the black ones are way less expensive. Last time around I bought the black ones and have no complaints. I use the rechargeables for a year or two .. until one of them does something odd (dies unexpectedly), then I rotate the whole group into my "family batteries" pile and purchase a new stock for the business.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2015, 02:54 PM   #5
Trustee

To the OP, On several occasions I have had a problem with Duracell PROCELLS leaking in things that they are expected to be in for awhile. Like wireless remotes and mice or flashlights that get put in a drawer. Nothing extream storage wise, I am talking leakage after months, not years. I have not had any other AAs of any brand leak in many years. IMHO there is something wrong with Procells. I will never put one in real gear again. One set even leaked in an on camera LCD light after just a couple of months. I think this is weird because I have never had a copper top leak.

Steve
Old August 17th, 2015, 06:54 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Baker View Post
I use Uniross hybrids, HiHM
I've never heard of the HiHM designation, and I can't find anything when I google that term. Can you please share some information about this?
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2015, 07:08 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Probably a typo, I think he means Uniross NiMH

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2015, 08:28 AM   #8
Trustee

I wondered about that, but it seems quite a long stretch (and I've never heard of Uniross ... I thought maybe it was something really esoteric).
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2015, 10:59 AM   #9
Inner Circle

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Uniross-2700.../dp/B000IZJ39Q

Roger :-)
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2015, 12:00 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aliperti View Post
I have always used 1,5 aa PROCELL batteries, but I am thinking to adopt rechargeable envelop pro, my doubt is about the voltage, pro cell are declared to be 1,5 v but envelop pro are 1,2. any opinion?
Sorry but batteries I purchased are Eneloop and not envelop. Ill use them in a one rx/tx system ew100 or in 2 transmitters. Hoping that charger is ok for other brands ill keep in mind other suggestions about other brands of recheargebles.
David Aliperti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2015, 12:38 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Gunkel View Post
Probably a typo, I think he means Uniross NiMH
You are quite correct Roger, obviously a senior moment there, sorry!

These are the ones I mean Uniross Hybrio Pre-charged 4 X AA 2400 Series Rechargeable Batteries: Amazon.co.uk: Health & Personal Care. Other manufacturers also make hybrids, I just happen to prefer these and it helps that they make a 9V one too.

Dave
Dave Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2015, 05:00 AM   #12
Wrangler

Every now and then Consumer Reports does a review of AA batteries. Some brands are clearly superior to others. (But I forget which - if I recall correctly Duracell was among the best, Energizer was not as good.)

Alkaline AA are relatively cheap, and easy to provide a fresh set for each day's shoot, no work about mix and match if you start with a fresh set.

Miss matched batteries charge states can lead to reversal of charge on the weaker battery. Not a good thing.

I've never been especially happy with NiMH rechargeables (even less so with NiCad) and prefer Li ion.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio