Great workshop: Unleash Your Inner Storyteller at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 12th, 2015, 08:53 AM   #1
Lectrosonics

Great workshop: Unleash Your Inner Storyteller

For those interested, this workshop is top notch, and will be in most major US and Canadian cities throughout the fall. The "Basic and Advanced Audio Acquisition" Master Class section is quite good, and for full disclosure, Lectrosonics is a sponsor.

Storytelling Unleashed
Karl Winkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2015, 12:16 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Great workshop: Unleash Your Inner Storyteller

Has anybody ever been to this seminar? The guy obviously does a lot of them, and it's only $250, but is it any good?
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2015, 12:40 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I assume it will be a lot of basic instruction coupled with expensive gear recommendations.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2015, 03:06 PM   #4
Slash Rules!

HA!

I have never done one of these types of things. I had a friend/colleague go to one and from what I understood it was exactly what you said.

They taught stuff about how different lenses/angle affect the "psychology" of a shot, etc. And then there were monopods and other things offered for sale.

I weep for the things people spend money on. Some things really need a class environment to be effective, many other things can be learned from books and youtube videos.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2015, 04:20 PM   #5
Lectrosonics

There's very little pushing gear with this one, guys. We wouldn't have gotten involved if it were like that.

Here's the outline, just FYI

Finding the Story
Discovering Composition
Sales Techniques
Finding New Business
Editing your Story
Mastering the Interview
Audio Acquisition
Filming with Different Styles
Finding Music and Manipulating Emotion
Advanced Business Philosophy

Of course they talk about gear in some contexts where appropriate.

There are not a lot of reviews out there yet, but check the FB page for a few comments. https://www.facebook.com/StorytellingUnleashed
Karl Winkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2015, 09:26 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bass View Post
HA!

I have never done one of these types of things. I had a friend/colleague go to one and from what I understood it was exactly what you said.

They taught stuff about how different lenses/angle affect the "psychology" of a shot, etc. And then there were monopods and other things offered for sale.

I weep for the things people spend money on. Some things really need a class environment to be effective, many other things can be learned from books and youtube videos.
I left Network life 6 years ago, and while I occasionally run into somebody in the field, and I go to NAB every year, I just feel like my professional development has gone to shit. I used to have a real competitive streak where I'd see somebody use a technique on a story and I'd work to use something similar, or find something better to outdo them. Now my work is almost 100% corporate and I'm one of the guys I used to make fun of. ;-)

At the same time, I don't want to pay $250 to sit in a room full of wedding videographers and learn how to use a slider.

I dunno.
Old October 20th, 2015, 06:02 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Interesting comments.

I will be attending the sessions in Raleigh NC Wednesday and Thursday this week. As someone still in film school, the $212 I paid (discount received) is worth it if I learn a few very practical things I can use.

Last month I also attended Alex Buono's Visual Storytelling 2. I walked away with many ideas that I didn't learn in school.

John
John Kofonow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2015, 09:07 AM   #8
Trustee

John, would love to hear your $0.02 when you get through the sessions. Thanks!
Old October 25th, 2015, 11:53 AM   #9
Regular Crew

First, I write this as one just starting out in my video career. However, I have already retired from one other career so I’m not a young newbie.

I attended the night and day session of “Unleashing your Inner Storyteller” by Adam Forgione in North Carolina this past week. I found it very informative and practical. The night session was mainly devoted to the business side of running a video production company. Topics included how to find clients and, more importantly, how to determine what they really want so that the end product matches their needs and budget.

The day session continued with much discussion of client – videographer relations. Several of the Adam’s videos were shown (done for non-profits) along with talk about how and why the videos were constructed as they were. There was a hands on session in which an interview with an attendee was setup and filmed along with the why behind it all.

No products were peddled. Adam currently uses one camera system but spoke of switching to another brand for technical reasons. He spoke of the drones and stabilizers he uses and gave the pros and cons of each system. It was fair and balanced. There were DVDs or other online courses even mentioned during the day and a half session.

There was a small group in attendance with a mix of a few newbies like me but most were established professionals. I specifically asked one attendee with over 35 years of photography/video corporate experience and he stated he learn a few new things taking the course. Others with less experience said the same.

Overall, It was a great learning experience for me and, I believe, many others in attended.

Disclaimer: I received nothing from Adam or his crew for writing this and I’m doing so WITHOUT their knowledge or consent.
John Kofonow is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio