Portable Interview Insulation at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 25th, 2015, 10:33 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Portable Interview Insulation

Sooo, I have a 600 square foot studio with a cement floor. And when I do interviews in it, you can imagine the bounce on the sound. So, looking around for a movable/portable isolation solution, I came across these, they look interesting and, may be something I could even take on location. Maybe four of them for an interview?

What do you guys think?

Dmass Acoustic Foam Gobo's 2 2' x 4' Gobo Panels Feet Extenders Sound Proof | eBay

This is what the inside of my studio looks like. Although I have more stuff in it now...

https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-MKVn4/i-cjh4nKb
Old October 25th, 2015, 11:12 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Portable Interview Insulation

Go here https://www.gearslutz.com/board/bass...nels-foam-etc/

The common recommendation is to use fiberglas or rock wool panels. There is a guy posting on that forum that sells materials and complete units that are very reasonable. His company is based in Atlanta.
Jim Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2015, 11:57 AM   #3
Major Player

I'd actually recommend the forum above that one, the studio building / acoustics forum. Just about any question you've got has already been answered there. Search away.
Bruce Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2015, 01:05 PM   #4
Inner Circle

It took some digging to find out that nextacoustics.com doesn't publish NRC data on the dMass panels you're looking at. Without that info you can't compare them to other solutions - I'd stay away. They may be a good product, or maybe not.

In addition to the study and DIY resources above, have a look at atsacoustics.com. I'm not recommending them above anyone else, but they are respected and they publish NRC data on all their products!

NRC = Noise Reduction Coefficient. Learn about it!

Rockwool doesn't outgas like fiberglass products... but DIY projects are frequently based on what you can locally source in your area.
Old October 26th, 2015, 11:10 AM   #5
Trustee

Presumably you will have some throw-rugs in your studio so you don't have to deal with a hard concrete floor.

I don't know what to think of those "dMASS" gobo things. It seems possible that they are a great product. But the promotional prose on the Ebay page makes it look like the guy doesn't really know what he is talking about. Or at least he doesn't know what is important.

It is not clear how much (IF ANY?) actual MASS is inside those things. And if there IS proper mass inside them, they are NOT the kind of thing you throw in the back of the wagon and take on location.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2015, 09:28 AM   #6
Major Player

600 sq. feet is not that large of a space to control sound. How tall are the ceilings? This sounds like something a bunch of sound blankets or Home Depot moving blankets and rugs might be able to help as Richard mentioned.

Those panels look like they take up some space. Are you just doing audio or is there video involved too.
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2015, 09:39 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Hey Thanks for the feedback.

My ceilings are 15 feet tall. And we do photo and video both. The video narrations I've done in the past, you can hear the ring in my studio, so that's mainly what I'm trying to control. I'm not able upload a picture for some odd reason (upload failed) but my studio has a pointed 15 feet cathedral ceiling. I wanted something that I could easily move around, so if I had an actor reading, I could just put the walls up around them, and move them, even stack them out of the way easily. I may want something that really doesn't exist, Still researching.
Old October 28th, 2015, 11:44 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Regarding the cement floor, note that most studios use wooden floors rather than carpet as carpet absorbs frequencies unevenly. It's preferred to use wood on the floor and absorption on the ceiling. In my case (for a home theater with wood flooring), I purchased Corning 703 panels. What a difference they make! The bare and empty room all but drove me mad. Adding furniture and panels might not make it perfect, but it now sounds pleasurable.

FWIW, I was at a Dolby event a few months ago where they set up various listening rooms within a larger hotel ballroom. (It wasn't unlike how one might setup a haunted house tour within a school gym.) They happened to use thick, rubber flooring with a hardwood print. I'm not sure what they used for the temporary walls and ceiling, though they did have some 2" panels mounted on the walls at the reflection points. As you can imagine, their setup sounded great. I don't know if the rubber floor was there just for portability, comfort and looks, or if it also served as a bass trap.

Maybe it was something like this: https://www.postupstand.com/trade-sh...aXIaAtaT8P8HAQ

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio