Sound Devices 688 Real World Reviews at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 19th, 2015, 05:39 PM   #1
Trustee

Sound Devices 688 Real World Reviews

Hi everyone,

I am contemplating making a major update to my production audio kit and trading my SD552 + Tascam DR-680 and going somewhat crazy and getting a SD 688. I love my 552 + DR-680 combo. I take post fade direct feeds from 4 channels out of my 552 into the DR-680 and have gotten great results. But, the weight of and bulk of having to strap two units on my back is starting to get to be too much for my aging body. I also am likely to start doing more recording of local choirs and bands in which case I may need more than the 5 channels I've got now.

So, I'm wondering if there are any 688 users out there that could tell me the good, bad, and ugly of the unit. Any feedback would be helpful. From what I've seen read so far and heard it seems to be another stellar unit by SD but the more first hand reviews I can get the better when looking to drop that kind of cash.

Thanks,
Old November 21st, 2015, 10:18 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Sound Devices 688 Real World Reviews

The 688 is commonly used by PSMs over at the JW sound group, many of which use the 688. Maybe queery over there.. don't know what kind of answers you'll get though.. it's a tough room.
Unless you need TC, WCs, ect, it's a lot of money to spend for 'more tracks' and I don't think the sound quality difference would be significant from your current 552/680 set-up...except for more the more tracks and reliability.
If you (and your clients) have that kind of budget, it's certainly a highly regarded machine
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2015, 11:26 PM   #3
Trustee

Re: Sound Devices 688 Real World Reviews

Thanks Rick, I've read the reviews over on JW Sound Group. Mostly favorable which is what I'd expect for an SD product. There are some nice features on the 688 that I don't currently have. I've also done some AB test between my setup and the 644 and there is a very small sound improvement with the 644. I'd imagine the 688 would be at least as good but also has the capability of higher bit rates so the quality could be even higher.

I don't know that the 688 would necessarily get me any more work but it may save my back. I also have to admit that I'm very intrigued at making the jump to newer equipment. So, I have to admit that some temptation is purely emotional.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio