Tascam 701D Recorder setup at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 20th, 2016, 02:02 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Tascam 701D Recorder setup

Recent production, shooting doc style, no audio person, and 2x Canon C300 cameras.

I set up each C300 to capture one channel of camera audio and one channel of wireless. We used SR receivers to have two channels to choose from, typically assigning one subject to one camera and the other subject to the other camera, each camera receiving their assigned subjects' audio. However, we had the ability to switch assignments or even send two wireless channels to record to camera.

Additionally, when we did have the need to run a boom or extra wireless mics, we ran them to the new Tascam 701D recorder. I set the Tascam up to do auto levels (not a favorite but it is a recorder and we didn't have the luxury to monitor levels). At times, the recorder had 4 channels of wireless feeding it, three lavs and one boom mic.

The glue for all of this was the very awesome Tentacle Sync timecode device. I ran one to the Tascam (which takes timecode now), one to each C300... all timed together to sync in post seamlessly. It worked like a charm and we got the most out of a situation where no audio professional was working on set. I would very much prefer an audio tech, but we lost that battle with the powers that be in the office. This setup worked very well for what it was.

At any rate, the Tascam worked very well. It is cheap, at around $600, but it gets the job done. I almost went for the more expensive Zoom F8 recorder (which is really awesome), but I held off. The Tascam records a BWAV file, which logs the metadata for timecode. Regular WAV file didn't register timecode in Premiere, at least the way the AE was logging footage. The Tascam is a good option for budget minded productions and it was surprisingly simple to use.
Scott Stoneback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2016, 09:46 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Tascam 701D Recorder setup

If TC is desired, one has to factor in to cost of a TC device. The 701 can not generate TC on it's own.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio