DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Camera Mounted Wireless Lav Mics for HD100? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/531686-camera-mounted-wireless-lav-mics-hd100.html)

Lisa Bennett April 22nd, 2016 08:46 AM

Camera Mounted Wireless Lav Mics for HD100?

What do you suggest for a good camera mounted wireless lavs? I need to setup for a 2 person interview shoot. Plus, need it for location shoots when there is no power. Using the JVC GYHD100U(A)

Thank you.

Don Bloom April 22nd, 2016 11:41 AM

Re: Camera Mounted Wireless Lav Mics for HD100?

Lisa, I've been using the AT1821 dual receiver with 2 mic paks since the AT18xx series came out. I've used that setup on all kinds of different camera kits including HD100, HD200 and HM700 which is where the system has lived for 4 years.
I ran the rec & xmittrs off of double A battery's but on the 700 I run the rec off the D tap on the camera. I like vet my system and setup but pretty much any sets of wireless will work just fine. Sennheiser, Lectro whatever, depends on budget and if you have any preferences.

Seth Bloombaum April 22nd, 2016 12:35 PM

Hey Don, how do you mount the receiver to the camera? I think I only have a belt-clip pouch. Fine in a sound bag, but how *do* you stick the double 1800 receiver on a camera?

PS. Love the 1800-series. I've been using eneloop rechargeables in it.

Rick Reineke April 22nd, 2016 01:14 PM

I've worked with a camera person's dual 1800 once or twice and stuck it to the back of his cam's battery pack w/ Velcro. As I recall he had a mid-sized JVC camcorder w/ a dual NP1 battery box and the AT 1800 system worked fine and was comparable to a Sennheiser G2/3. Depending on one's camera size, two G3 EK100s receivers may be a better option. The EK100 receivers also come with the accessory for a hot-shoe.

Don Bloom April 22nd, 2016 01:44 PM

I've always pretty much used the BEC cups with a mounting bracket on my cams. With the HD/HM series l have the old JVC bracket with the BEC cup. Like I've said I've used this setup for a bunch of years and prefer the dual receiver over 2 separate receivers but that's a personal thing. The bracket setup has worked for me really well.
BTW this whole rig is up for sale so pm me if you have any questions.

Donald McPherson April 23rd, 2016 03:23 AM

Or for cheapskates like me. There is always this.

ROWA FC-2410S Wireless Stereo Interview Microphone For DSLR Camera DV Camcorder | eBay

Chris Harding April 23rd, 2016 10:56 PM

Hi Donald

They work don't they ? My mate Roger uses the Boya WM-5 units which are also cheap as chips and reports they work well. Hmmm I need to try the Rowa out I think during our Winter off season and see how they perform ... the only downside I can see on the cheaper units is that the cases are a bit plastic looking. I do like the fact that the Rowa uses Li-Ion 3.7v batteries ... Having to change silly AA or AAA cells the whole time is a pain and all you have to do is accidentally leave a unit on with it's tiny AAA and it's dead after a few hours.

Donald McPherson April 24th, 2016 04:16 AM

Yes they work.I posted this. but you make up your own mind.

Greg Miller April 25th, 2016 05:03 AM

Thanks for posting that clip. A few questions come to mind.

1.) Are you sure the receiver's audio output combines both mics into one mono channel? It's rather disconcerting that they would clearly call it "stereo" if it is not. If the receiver has enough output to drive headphones, that would be a simple test ... it would eliminate any camera connectivity issues.

2.) Do the mic inputs provide low-voltage "plug in power" to the mics, so it can be used with a variety of other electret elements? (Of course if the provided mics are electrets, the answer would be "yes" ... but are we sure they are electrets? I can't find any detailed specs.)

Thanks again!

Rick Reineke April 25th, 2016 06:49 AM

More than likely a China built device, and 'stereo' may have a different meaning and/or tech info written by non-audio folks.

Greg Miller April 25th, 2016 09:32 AM

Also known as "deceptive advertising."

Or it may be the case of an unbalanced stereo output (TRS) being fed to a balanced XLR input, so the two channels are inadvertently combined (out of phase, at that).

Hopefully Mr. McPherson can clear this up for us.

Chris Harding April 25th, 2016 09:06 PM

That's what worried me too. The pic of the whole kit shows a stereo to stereo output cable but the XLR cable has a stereo 3.5mm plug on one end and only one male XLR connector which would mean the signals are combined. I will often chop and change my channels in my NLE at weddings, depending who is talking so a combined signal (even running to both camera inputs) is useless to me. If your audio signal from transmitter 2 had a bad signal or external noise there is no way you could split it from the other transmitter and could easily end up with the "bad" signal ruining the good one. I had a dual receiver at one stage (Azden) and it was very poor compared to having individual receivers so I always use my wireless kits in pairs ... costs a little more but it's worth it I think!

Donald McPherson April 26th, 2016 02:27 AM

Yes this is what I have stereo jack going to XLR male. Looking at the monitor bars it does not matter which lav I talk into both bars bounce at the same time. Same when I put it in video editor so you can't adjust one without the other. There is another set almost identical but each transmitter looks to have individual controls, i think it was £40 dearer. Mine is either off or on.

Chris Harding April 26th, 2016 04:44 AM

Thanks Donald

That's what I figured out with the XLR ... what it should have is a stereo jack going to 2 x XLR plugs so the signal from transmitter A goes to channel 1 and the signal from transmitter B goes to channel 2 ...that way you can switch tracks in the NLE to control levels. Have you perhaps tried the stereo plug to stereo plug connector ?? I wonder if that might split the signal into left and right ... making up a genuine twin channel cable to XLR is easy enough to do!

Donald McPherson April 26th, 2016 04:58 AM

Haven't tried that. But I will look into it.

For £5 delivered I'll try this.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...584197&alt=web

Greg Miller April 26th, 2016 07:43 AM

Before you even buy the cable, just plug a set of headphones into the receiver's audio output jack. If you hear each transmitter on a separate channel at that point, then the receiver is truly stereo.

Matt Sharp April 26th, 2016 01:54 PM

At NAB Sony quietly announced new dual receivers for their UWP-D line. List price is $999 for the receiver only. Not yet available, I'm hoping to the street price is less so I can add one to my kit.

Sony URX-P03D Two-Channel Portable Receiver URX-P03D B&H Photo

Sony Product Detail Page URXP03D/14

Donald McPherson April 26th, 2016 02:24 PM

OK tried with headphones plugged into receiver. ( I normally plug into camera so I know its going there.) It's MONO. I suppose that's no surprise given the price of these things.

Chris Harding April 26th, 2016 06:38 PM

Thanks Donald

That is indeed very strange to combine the signals in the receiver .. I send my audio from my two receivers to an XLR adapter under the camera and it has a mono/stereo switch on it and can combine the two outputs or keep them split which is way more useful .. In an interview situation if one person has a much louder voice than the other how on earth are you supposed to adjust them? Probably the slight inconvenience of having to mount twin receivers on the camera is worth doing? I wonder if Rowa make a single transmitter receiver kit?

Greg Miller April 26th, 2016 09:34 PM

Donald,

Thank you for performing that test. Although I'm disappointed at the result.

I can't help wondering whether they are combining the audio in the digital domain, then running it through a single D-to-A converter ... or whether each receiver section has its own D-to-A, and then they are combining the signals in the analog domain.

I don't think I'll tear one apart to find out.

Maybe someone should send them an EMail and tell them that their product is not stereo.

Chris Harding April 27th, 2016 01:04 AM

Hi Greg

Unless you are capable of writing in Mandarin I certainly wouldn't bother .. I doubt whether they would do anything anyway! For interest the Boya WM-5 single units would do the same job if you bought two sets and that would also end up now that much more! EBay has the Rowa for $262 and the Boya for $94.00 but you might need to but XLR cables for the Boya as they don't seem to be supplied ... The Boya also has a talkback function so one could even prompt the talent if necessary!

Lisa Bennett April 27th, 2016 07:26 AM

Sorry for the delay to chime in on all of the posts. Thanks for all for adding comments and input on equipment.

I have a shoot for a two person interview and last time I used handheld cabled mics. I need a good set of wireless lavs anyway for some upcoming work and will be good to use for the interview.

What about interference with wireless signals? One shoot is at a hotel and curious to hear about interference issues some of you may have had.

Keep the suggestions coming for which lavs to buy. The gyhd100 has XLR connetion for mic 1 and mic 2.

Thanks much.

Don Bloom April 27th, 2016 07:58 AM

Lisa,
Using my AT system I can honestly say that the only time I had interference was when someone had a Blackberry type device near my kit and then only on 2 or 3 occasions. By and large when I was shooting in a hotel, I had no real issues. The bigger issue is the ringing of phones during an interview. I had many times I wanted to ring necks. During the interviews make sure you're in as quiet a spot as possible as far removed from all the hustle and bustle of turning the room and stragglers and ask the interviewer and interviewees to kindly turn their phones OFF or at last put them in airplane mode. Remember that it's when they hunt for the network that the noise, DITDITDITDITDIT, that you hear in your headphones can cause you to become a serial killer. ;-)

Again I love the AT system because it's only one receiver and by setting it up properly, you can run both mics on one channel so that can leave you and open input on the camera to run a shotgun or a 3rd mic. I've done that and while it may not leave you anytime to just stand around and not think, there are moments that it might be necessary.

With the HD100, like the HM700, set the camera audio block to Ch1/Ch2, plug the XLRs into the camera and off you go. Just run some checks and tests before you go out on the paying job.
HTHs

Chris Harding April 27th, 2016 07:42 PM

Hey Don

Nice to see you still contributing!!

Most of the new systems nowdays are digital running in the 2.4GHz band as opposed to UHF system which are sadly being given less and less frequency allocations. Technically, despite the huge amount of devices running in the 2.4GHz spectrum are supposed to be totally interference free so getting something like the Rode or AT System 10 wireless kits should be fine. However I must admit I have yet to see a "dual" receiver system with these so one does need to be careful if you opt for a UHF dual system that the frequencies are actually legal otherwise you just might have EMT calls coming thru on your precious audio especially in built up or city locations. I wonder if there is a technical aspect on the 2.4Ghz band that forces you to have to use single receivers ?? Also if you go for the newer 2.4Ghz systems bear in mind that reliable range is usually 100' or less which is fine for interviews or weddings but could be a problem if your talent is a long way from the camera.

Lisa Bennett April 27th, 2016 09:07 PM

Him,

Thanks again Don and all for the help.

This year the interviews are being done a little differently. Guests at the event liked watching the interviews being taped. So, we are part of the event schedule..in a room that holds 60 guests to see the celeb guests be interviewed.

Having them turn off the ringers is a big part of the plan. I agree.

The space is a bit tricky to light. Not a lot of space in this room at the front where we setup. So audio and lighting takes some good planning. Need to get another light or two for hair lights possibly and most definitely need some lavs. I have begun my search to get 2 for this shoot and do some run throughs to test.

Lisa Bennett May 5th, 2016 07:23 AM

Still looking for lav mics. Lav will be best versus a boom since we have an audience and don't want to pick up all of the sounds in the room. Seems like everything is close to $1,000 and that is more than we want to spend for this. Any others you know about, feel free to suggest.

Rick Reineke May 5th, 2016 07:52 AM

" Seems like everything5 is close to $1,000 and that is more than we want to spend for this. Any others you know about, feel free to suggest."
- I still think anything decent is gonna cost about $500 per channel. Another $100 (per system) should be factored in for a decent mic element, since most come bungled with a POS.(In the G2/3 case, the ME2)
This may still be pertinent:
The $500 Wireless Question, or, "What cheap system should I get?"

Chris Harding May 5th, 2016 08:15 AM

Hi Lisa

Just a thought but the word "used" comes to mind. I bought my Azden set a long while back at a bargain price as it was used and not new out the box. It's still working well today so no complaints. Maybe take a look on eBay for used items ...The original L100 was pretty close to $800 new here but I found one on eBay USA and even with shipping it only cost me under $200!! Worth thinking about as the moment it's out the box it's used anyway!! A lot of people tend to buy to keep up with the latest and greatest and sell their "older" but still current system at a loss which could be your gain!!

Lisa Bennett May 17th, 2016 09:15 PM

Yes, lots of good used equipment around. Will widen my search for used and see what I might find on ebay and amazon.. ;)

Donald McPherson May 18th, 2016 02:22 AM

Last but best cheap option. Get a couple of audio recorders with lavs.

Seth Bloombaum May 18th, 2016 04:24 PM

Now that the setup has moved to a stage (?), do you really need wireless?

You can get into a pair of wired premium lavs or earset mics for way less than wireless!

If there will be 60 people in the room and therefore a PA system, I'd highly recommend earset, like the Countryman E6i over lavs. So much more gain before feedback in a *very* nice sounding mic!

Lisa Bennett May 23rd, 2016 06:37 AM

Will check into the Countryman E6i. Thanks for the info.

We are adding an MC in-between the interviews and I'm sure he will be using a wireless handheld so that could pose a problem.

Lisa Bennett May 23rd, 2016 06:43 AM

Just thought I would post a recent find in case anyone has used this with 2 lavs..

Azden WR32-Pro Dual-Channel VHF Wireless Receiver for DSLR Camera WR32-PRO

And also this one but it has a 3.5 mini output and would need to go to XLR onboard the camera and would require adapter.

http://www.adorama.com/AZWDLPRO.html?RRref=productPage

Steven Digges May 24th, 2016 11:37 AM

Hi Lisa,

I would not recommend using that Azden VHF mic at all. One it is VHF, that can be problematic. Two, it is only $200.00 because it is made cheaply. There is no new tech there to lower the cost. In fact, it is old tech.

Steve

Lisa Bennett May 24th, 2016 09:51 PM

Okay, thanks Steve. I agree.

Lisa Bennett June 11th, 2016 11:07 AM

Thinking of also checking into using wireless handhelds which might be less than the lavs. Getting down to the line and running out of time since event is in a month. So I better find something soon :)

Lisa Bennett June 11th, 2016 12:34 PM

Donald,

Thanks for the reminder. Did some research on the Zoom H1 recorder. Thinking on recorders TOO because I can use them for podcasting easily.

Chris Harding June 11th, 2016 07:31 PM

I have still got a VHF Azden mic in my case Steve but I don't use it any more. I did try it out a few months ago and it worked remarkably well. I ended up using it to do one way comms between myself and a 2nd shooter and it worked very well too in that role.

Using a recorder for interviews is not my cup of tea! Lip sync is critical as the cameras are on the faces most of the time so if your recorder is running a fraction fast or slow on a long piece of talking it will look horrible when the mouth doesn't match the audio. I still would opt for a cheap 2.4ghz wireless system ..at that range you are unlikely to have any issues at all.

Lisa Bennett June 12th, 2016 01:01 PM

Located a few wireless handheld systems.

Worse case scenario I don't purchase camera mounted. I can also have it for in the small studio area I have and later buy a camera mounted system for mobile work. The un-mounted are certainly less in price.

Camera mounted is preferred though but at least there are options. I even thought about buying a boom mic/pole and have a boom op to assist.

Don Bloom June 12th, 2016 04:14 PM

Lisa, I have a setup that would fit to a T what you need. I know it would because I used it for more 2 person interviews than I could count.
Since I'm retired I'm looking to off all of my gear in a group or piecemeal. What's your budget for a wireless that can handle 2 people with really good lags and great sound control.