Low cost lav solution at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 5th, 2016, 09:27 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Low cost lav solution

I have my Sennheiser AVX for ceremony and speech placement.

I can currently only mic up one person, which makes speeches a lottery who to pick. I can't afford to buy another set, so I'd like to get a low cost solution.

I'm thinking a Zoom H1 and lav mic to place on the person. Does that sound OK?

Also, can you recommend a semi-decent Lav mic to buy that's not overly expensive?

Thanks!
Nathan Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2016, 12:09 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Low cost lav solution

Oscar SoundTech lavaliere mics are better than decent (IMO), and highly regarded by other film sound pros. Search here and elsewhere for confirmation..
The 801/802 is identical in size/shape of the Tram TR50. The 801 has a HF boost (for hiding under clothes), the 802, less so. The round 'end fire' TL40 has a flatter response and is about the size (4 mm) of a Countryman B3.
Cost is about $120 with a wireless mic type plug and shipping. .. For about $100 more, a Phantom Power XLR adapter is available for hard wired use. Made in NJ, USA.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2016, 01:29 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I use a Zoom H1 with a Squid mic. Sound quality is fine. I have a back-up that hasn't been used I might be willing to sell.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2016, 02:52 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks. Are there any alternatives to the Zoom H1 of a similar price range with any particular pros/cons? Such as Tascam, for instance? I'm not very aware of their product range.
Old May 6th, 2016, 07:04 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I think the Tascam DR-5 is close in size, price and features. Personally, I would prefer a Tascam, even if it was a few $s more. I have no direct experience with the H1 or DR-5, but I did a quick audio-only interview with a client's DR-7 (ext. mic w/ my OST 802) and it sounded decent. Peruse the downloadable manuals and see what features appeal to you.
Old May 6th, 2016, 07:21 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Reineke View Post
I think the Tascam DR-5 is close in size, price and features. Personally, I would prefer a Tascam, even if it was a few $s more. I have no direct experience with the H1 or DR-5, but I did a quick audio-only interview with a client's DR-7 (ext. mic w/ my OST 802) and it sounded decent. Peruse the downloadable manuals and see what features appeal to you.
Thanks Rick, I've had a look at the DR-5, it does look good, but I think ever-so-slightly too big to put in a person's breast pocket, so I've just ordered the Zoom H1!
Old May 6th, 2016, 08:02 AM   #7
Inner Circle

The H1 is slightly smaller & significantly lighter. (w/o batt.s)
For comparison sake and those interested..
Zoom H1: 44 x 136 x 31mm 60 g
Tascam dr5: 61 x 141 x 26 mm 116 g

The JuicedlLnk DAR124RX01 Little DARling looks interesting but it's relatively more expensive.
Old May 6th, 2016, 08:19 AM   #8
Trustee

If you're talking about pocket recorders, the Olympus DM-620 is slender, or the Tascam DR-05 (a little thicker) are had for under $100 each. I have 3 pocket recorders and a Tascam DR-40.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2016, 09:27 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Interestingly, I've just realised the Rode Lav mics have a different connector:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003Z8OUUA

You need to get one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003ZDVKC6

Why have they done that? How annoying... I presume it's so you can attach a locking mechanism or plug it into XLR connectors. Still. Kind of odd.
Old May 6th, 2016, 01:41 PM   #10
Trustee

For a smaller pocket recorder, look at the Tascam DR-03. Recording quality is more than adequate. WAV up to 24-bit/96kHz. Also MP3 (which you would not likely use) up to 320kbps.

It's slightly smaller than the H1, much smaller than the DR-07 or DR-05.
DR-03 :: 44mm x 126mm x 15mm, 51g w/out batteries

There is also a very similar model, DR-08. Both models are now discontinued, but are often found on eBay.

You might also look at the Sony ICD SX-7xx series, although they're hard to find.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2016, 04:32 AM   #11
Inner Circle

The problem with all these recorders is remembering to turn them on, start recording, lock them, then retrieve them all while you're busy doing other things. Not being able to monitor or adjust your levels is pretty scary too.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2016, 04:47 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Thanks all. I wish I'd seen the DR-03 sooner, but I've already obtained the Zoom H1 now. I'm very happy with it. Yes there are cons, such as not being able to adjust the levels, but it will do the job just fine I'm sure.
Old May 8th, 2016, 04:48 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Agreed Pete

I had a friend who had to go back into the Church and do "dummy vows" because the recorder was in standby ..then again you could also forget to turn on a transmitter!! I like to watch my audio carefully and at weddings where the mic is on the groom I will lift the level when the bride speaks as she is a few feet away and often has a softer voice. It is comforting to actually see the audio levels live and also be able to hear them!
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2016, 04:53 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Agreed Pete

I had a friend who had to go back into the Church and do "dummy vows" because the recorder was in standby ..then again you could also forget to turn on a transmitter!! I like to watch my audio carefully and at weddings where the mic is on the groom I will lift the level when the bride speaks as she is a few feet away and often has a softer voice. It is comforting to actually see the audio levels live and also be able to hear them!
The Sennheiser AVX is great - you don't have to worry about the transmitter at all, just make sure it's charged (it lasts 11 hours though!). Everything is controlled at the receiver end. Great bit of kit, and I'll be using that on the groom. Just far too expensive when I can get a Zoom H1 and lav mic for a third of the price :p I'll be placing that on the father of the bride during speeches.
Old May 8th, 2016, 05:14 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Can't forget the time the best man inadvertently stop the recording by pressing the record button. I forgot to lock it. Recently I had recorder stop because it ran out of space. The card was empty but I forgot if you delete files from the computer the recorder still thinks it's full. It has to be formatted or erased from the recorder.

No method is without its drawbacks.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio