Reliability zoom recorders - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 17th, 2016, 05:18 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: Reliability zoom recorders

~~~~~~~~~~
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2016, 02:33 PM   #17
Trustee

In general I like the Sony ICD-PXxxx line very much. I recently tried a Philips Voice Tracer DVT3100 and I must say that in some ways I like it better. Specifically, the Philips has adjustable recording gain and a pair of bargraph recording level displays. That's much better than just guessing about appropriate gain with the Sony IMHO. And the DVT3100 can record straight PCM, as well as MP3 compressed files.

I'm not sure all the DVT line has these features, although I'm pretty sure the 3xxx, 5xxx, and 7xxx all do have. Similarly, the Sony ICD-SXxxx series seems to have level meters and adjustable gain. There are certainly lots of flavors out there these days. Just amazing when I think back to the $500+ "prosumer" R-R machines when I started recording ... of course that was in the 20th century. :-|
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2016, 02:51 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Gunkel View Post
I have a Zoom Hi which I have never had a problem with, but my voice recorder of choice is this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I tested it now and the build in mics are not up to the task, when you plug in a lav then it all sounds quite good but the build in mics are not the same standards as the zoom h1 mics and I need those build in mics to sound good. I have been looking at the Sony ICD-SX 2000 but it's a quite expensive recorder, I do like the fact you can monitor and control sound with your smartphone up to 10 meters via Bluetooth and it's also small in size.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2016, 06:24 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
In general I like the Sony ICD-PXxxx line very much. I recently tried a Philips Voice Tracer DVT3100 and I must say that in some ways I like it better.....
I have to say that I have been very pleasantly surprised at how good the Sony ICD-PXxxx recorders are - especially considering the price!
I found them ideal for a little project I made for a young family friend, who wanted a cheap 'wireless' 'vox-pop' microphone... ( My project notes are here: Recording Mic )

I hadn't seen the Philips Voice Tracers -- they look to be very good - especially with the linear PCM option. Not sure they would fit into the housing of my Sony project though...
Roger Shore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2016, 07:30 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Bought my Zoom H4N when they first came out, which was quite a few years ago. It's still going strong. Bought a Tascam DR-40. Mysteriously died at about two years. Bought another, mysteriously died about two months ago. It's funny, the Zoom looks really cheap, I thought it would be disposable, it's turned out to be a workhorse. I was on a shoot in Copenhagen about five years ago, it was on a table, standing up and someone knocked it over, the screen cracked but it has kept going.

I bought the Tascams largely because I thought they were a little better built and would last longer. Appearances can be deceiving. Zooms are good to go in my opinion, I am kind of over Tascam as both DR40s died out of warranty and when I called Tascam, they said a repair, any repair out of warranty, would be more expensive than just buying a new one. They essentially said, "We give you a year. After that, our recorders are disposable". That's not like the old Tascam back in the day when I had their products and they would break. They would actually repair DAT recorders, etc. back in the day. Now they are just a "after a year, throw it away" kind of company.
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2016, 08:10 AM   #21
Inner Circle

its just bad luck I guess as I have the opposite experience with 3 zoom recorders dying on me and with my tascams being the workhorses. It only proves that personal experiences with these recorders don't say anything about their reliability in general.
Its actually funny you mention that your H4 got knocked over without a issue, I didn't mention it in my first post when I said I got home to find out that a one hour recording ended up as a 0kb file on the card, that was after someone had knocked my h4 over when it was standing on a minitripod maybe just 5cm above ground. :)
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio