Microphone hanger at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 15th, 2017, 10:19 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Microphone hanger

Anybody ever use one of these? Any reason to go with something more expensive?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...r_Adapter.html
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2017, 11:50 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Microphone hanger

For what application?

When hanging very small (clip-on lav size) mics in a permanent installation (i.e. for low-profile choir mics), there is really no practical alternative. They are rather fiddly and require perhaps days to get the cable to uncurl completely and get the mics aimed properly. But once set, they are the perfect solution.

OTOH, they are not really suitable for any other kind of application. None come to mind. What were you thinking?
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2017, 05:40 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Oh I didn't realize they were so small. I need to hang a pair of hypercardiods (akg and schoeps) straight down from the ceiling over a table.
Old January 16th, 2017, 05:54 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Looking for a cheaper version of this - Schoeps H20G Cable Hanger For CMC MK | Full Compass
Old January 16th, 2017, 06:21 AM   #5
Trustee

Since you mention "need to hang a pair of hypercardiods ... straight down from the ceiling over a table":

Don't know how heavy your mics are, but I have done this by running cables in a suspended ceiling, dropping them through at edges or corners of tiles and hanging the mics directly by their (high quality) xlrs cables. Takes a wee while to set up but is a no-cost solution IF you don't cause any damage to the ceiling.

I have seen mics hung by their xlrs (sounds a bit painful doesn't it :-) fitted in theatres, probably for cctv audio in dressing rooms rather than sound reinforcement. Not sure this is best practice nowadays though.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2017, 06:37 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I would like them to be angled somewhat. The mics are an AKG se300b ck93 and schoeps cmc6 mk41.
Old January 16th, 2017, 06:47 AM   #7
Trustee

Then you will indeed need some kind of hanger, though as mentioned by Richard don't be surprised if the mics take a while to stablise their rotation.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2017, 06:48 AM   #8
Trustee

Does it have to look "professional"? I have used simple woven nylon cord to suspend the 4-inch mic post and swivel clamp removed from a table-top mic stand. It worked fine but obviously looked home-made. Essentially a DIY version of the Schoeps you linked.

If you are careful with the woven (not twisted) cord, using a new roll and un-roll it rather than un-coil it, it shouldn't take long to stabilize.

To work on a suspended ceiling without having to get above the tiles, I have used ceiling scissor clamps, female to female threaded adapters and either threaded hooks or eye-bolts that were spread open or a small section cut out to form a hook. I have seen now there are ready made loops to go on ceiling scissor clamps, but mine cost pennies versus dollars back in the day when I made 5 of them.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2017, 08:27 AM   #9
Inner Circle

I guess that would work. If the clamp is in the middle I guess it would balance on its own. DIY look is fine for this. Still, if there was a decently priced dedicated product for this I would pick it up.
Old January 16th, 2017, 08:53 AM   #10
Inner Circle

The more I think about it, I'm really looking for a stereo mounting bar of some kind and then hang it upside down.
Old January 16th, 2017, 08:59 AM   #11
Trustee

One other note, in my use the cord supported the mic and mic holder, and the XLR cable was anchored to a slightly offset location on the ceiling and not tied directly to the supporting cord.

So it was very easy to aim in rotation by adjusting location of the XLR cable anchor point and the rig never moved (unless someone bumped into it).

This method also reduced noise from vibration, because the XLR cable was only supporting its own weight and was slack enough to have a slight curve.

You could sometimes see slight vibration in the cord, but that was lost in the mount before it got to the mic, and couldn't get into the mic cable because they hung separately from each other by a few inches.

A stereo bar would be an easy addition to my system, you would just mount the stereo bar to the 4-inch micstand stud just as you would normally, except hanging upside down.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2017, 09:50 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Yeah that makes sense.
Old January 16th, 2017, 10:54 AM   #13
Inner Circle

The AT wire hanger adapter is made for the small diameter 'choir type' mics so a standard 19-22mm SDC probably wouldn't fit (w/o a serious mod). A standard stereo bar could be attached to the Schoeps mount with decent quality XLR handling the (static) weight of the bar and two SDCs.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2017, 12:48 PM   #14
Regular Crew

I made some of these with some heavy gauge copper wire. You need to use something that you can bend easy enough but still maintains it's shape in use. I think I used 10 gauge wire with a black coating. To get the shapes find something that's the right size and shape and bend the wire around it. I made them for small choir type mics, but you could make them with a larger diameter for bigger mics. They really do help position the mic where you want it if you get the twists out of the cable.
Bernie Beaudry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2017, 01:24 PM   #15
Trustee

I reassembled what I used to use and added the stereo bar (and an additional new and helpful adapter).

The only eye bolt I had handy had been sliced open to make a hook. If you want full security use a fully closed eye bolt.

I also added a 1/4-20 stud in the middle of the stereo bar so you can mount your action camera as well!

Use the micstand trim ring and/or the lock nut on the eye bolt to adjust the rotational position as needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Microphone hanger-mic-hanger-low-res-1000h-img_0006.jpg  

Last edited by Jay Massengill; January 16th, 2017 at 07:13 PM.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio