DSLR Audio Workflow at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 28th, 2017, 07:13 PM   #1
Inner Circle

DSLR Audio Workflow

So I'm looking to purchase a Tascam DR-40 or above and was wondering what the following. I understand it records two ambient as well as two XLR inputs at the same time.

Do most of you still run out to the Camera for a full mix to the camera or is it best case practice to keep the Tascam out to headphones.
Old March 29th, 2017, 10:15 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: DSLR Audio Workflow

Sescom (markertek,com) makes DSLR cables to go from a headphone jack output to the DSLR 1/8" input AND to a pair of HPs. The DR40 also has a internal software mixer which is a nice feature, for instance if you did not want to send the int, mics to the cam.(aka, mix minus).And yes, the DR40 can record four audio audio tracks (two stereo pairs) ext left & right mic/line and the L&R internal mics. As I recall, a slate tone option was added in the latest firmware edition, which can be downloaded/installed if your machine has earlier software.. The DR40s line level input (XLR or 1/4") is true +4dB as well, so it's compatible with pro console balanced outputs. Unfortunately the DR40 has a rather anemic HP amp, (20mW since you ask) so it may be difficult to hear in a loud environment,
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2017, 03:51 PM   #3
New Boot

Re: DSLR Audio Workflow

I use a DR-40 with my camera for my product and instructional videos. I run a Rode Videomic right into the camera as a reference track/backup track. I like to keep that not reliant on the recorder in case something happens and the recorder goes down. Ultimately, this audio doesn't make the final cut 99% of the time, but it's how I line up picture with the sound I record on the DR-40.

I run a shotgun mic and a wireless mic into the DR-40 and just record two channels. The built in mics aren't all that useful the for stuff I do. Usually I'll just pick either the shotgun mic or the wireless, whichever sounds best, which is usually the shotgun mic.

If I had a DR-70D I'd be using that instead. It's lower profile and a little bit nicer, in my opinion, but the DR-40 does the job that I need, so that's what I use. I could go with an F4, which is a nice machine, but it's too big to be mounted in my setup and access the inputs.

I mount my DR-40 underneath the camera. That those two things are mounted in a K-Tek Norbert Sport. The Norbert Sport has hot shoes and female threaded holes, so I can mount a wireless receiver up there, the rode videomic, and a little light if I need. I can also add a Noga arm and mount a monitor or extra small camera if I really want, which I have done in the past. Sometimes I'll put the shotgun mic up there as well, but I prefer to put that on a stand. If I go handheld and move around then the shotgun goes on the top of the Norbert Sport.
Dave Fisk is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio