M-Audio BX8 placed horizontally? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 26th, 2005, 12:23 PM   #1
Regular Crew

M-Audio BX8 placed horizontally?

Hi!

In the manual it says that placing the BX8 monitors horizontally is not recommended. However, I could definitely save a lot of space on my desk by doing so, since I want to place two Apple dispays above them (on a raiser, not directly on them - and I won't put anything IN FRONT of them, of course...) Additionally, they will be placed on MoPads.

What is the exact disadvantage of placing them horizontally rather than vertically? Is the actual monitoring affected by this? Should i refrain myself from attempting this?

Thanks for any advice.
Mike Medavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2005, 12:50 PM   #2
Regular Crew

It probably has to do with air flow for cooling the amps.The speakers pattern will change if it is laid down but I do not think they would be specific about it for that reason.

Sam
Sam Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2005, 07:57 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I see. Thanks.

Is it only for the m-audio speakers in particular or, generally, it's a bad idea for any audio monitors to be placed horizontally?
Mike Medavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2005, 09:53 PM   #4
Major Player

I don't know about horizontal, but the setup you describe sounds wrong. For best sound, you need the high freq cones to be exactly at ear level. But you also want the center of your monitor to be at eye level for best ergonomics. Otherwise you will get neck/back/ eye problems. These two goals are incompatiple with placing the monitors on top of the speakers.
Old November 1st, 2005, 04:15 PM   #5
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Costa
I don't know about horizontal, but the setup you describe sounds wrong. For best sound, you need the high freq cones to be exactly at ear level. But you also want the center of your monitor to be at eye level for best ergonomics. Otherwise you will get neck/back/ eye problems. These two goals are incompatiple with placing the monitors on top of the speakers.
It would sound wrong as well. Typically Audio monitors(speakers) are designed to be used in a equilateral triangle of a distance no closer than 36". The Tweeter's on most monitors should be pretty close to ear level unless they are Yamaha NS10. If you put your monitors on the sides there will also be a slight phase variation between the tweeters and the midrange when the sound gets to your ears because the outside speaker is a different physical difference. Very few Monitors are designed to lay in the horizontal position.

I have my computer screen on a shelf above the meter bridge and its just a tad too far and a tad too high so my neck gets a little stiff. I plan on fixing it with a flat screen/lcd type on a moving arm to I can move it depending on what I'm doing.

Peace,
Dennis
Dennis Whitney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio