Hi guys, Feeling like getting a tascam instead my h4n at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 2nd, 2017, 01:25 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Hi guys, Feeling like getting a tascam instead my h4n

I'm shooting weddings sometimes. So i need to plug straight to the Dj's mixer. The H4N doesn't work well because of over cranking with peaking hence i get distorted sound. I want to get The Equivalent device to H4N that wouldn't Distort when plugged to massive Mixers. Tascam?

Please,

Thank you
Arthur Abramov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2017, 03:12 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Hi guys, Feeling like getting a tascam instead my h4n

Do you have the first version of the H4n or the newer version that came out in 2016?

I don't have any experience with the newer version but a lot with the first H4n and the earlier H4 before that.

It's true the inputs on the Zooms are too sensitive for full +4db line level signals, but it's also important to use the correct cables in order to not make the problem even worse. For -10db unbalanced line level signals into the Zooms it's important to use unbalanced 1/4-inch TS cables and have the phantom power OFF. The phantom power will affect the line level connectors and result in poor quality sound and also affect the mixer they are connected to.
The XLR connectors are for mic level signals only, you can't easily attenuate them down internally for line level signals that arrive on XLR cables without adapters.

You can also use unbalanced Aux Sends from the mixer and keep them set at a low enough output level to prevent overload.

Lastly, you can use an adjustable passive direct box like a Rolls DB25b connected to an Aux Send from the mixer and connected at hot mic level to the Zoom with an XLR cable. This is also useful if you need to send the audio some distance since the XLR connection from the direct box to the Zoom is now balanced.

The equivalent Tascam models are the DR-40 and the DR-44WL. They are supposed to accept full line level signals and also allow recording a full volume track and safety track at a lower level to protect against overload.

I'm sure with some DJ's it would be possible to get overload no matter what.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2017, 08:57 AM   #3
Inner Circle

The Tascam DR40 has a maximum line level input of +20dBu, so it should be able to handle nominal +4 outputs from pro consoles.. unless the operator/DJ has the gain staging screwed up,, which you have little control over (distortion from the source). The Rolls DB25b DI is a very good option, and has a variable pad and supports a wider range of input levels.. The DB25b's XLR output is mic level and would work fine with a H4n if you have one already.. Otherwise I prefer Tascam gear.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2017, 12:54 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Abramov View Post
I'm shooting weddings sometimes. So i need to plug straight to the Dj's mixer. The H4N doesn't work well because of over cranking with peaking hence i get distorted sound. I want to get The Equivalent device to H4N that wouldn't Distort when plugged to massive Mixers. Tascam?

Please,

Thank you
What in the world does overcranking have to do with recording audio? Lol

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slow_motion

If you are trying to say the line feed is too hot, you could simply use an in line attenuator. But since I have intimate knowledge with the H4N I can guess what the problem is.

When you plug xlr into the H4N it assumes mic level. To get around this you use a 1/4 adapter instead and obviously set the input to line in the menu.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2017, 07:18 PM   #5
Major Player

The Zoom is fine, but you should spend a few dollars on a variable in-line XLR attenuator (-20,-30,-40dB). This allows you to plug into nearly any XLR output, including the very hot speaker-level outputs directly on the PA.
Hosa ATT-448 Input Attenuator, XLR Female to XLR Male, New
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2017, 07:30 AM   #6
Inner Circle

The H4n's XLR is mic level only,.The 1/4 inch input on the 'combo connector is line level, however it's -10dB (and unbalanced as I recall) so a +4 signal could distort. The DR-40 has a physical mic/line switch to use either the XLR or 1/4 inch.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio