Sennheiser wireless g3 using press box at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 16th, 2017, 09:49 AM   #1
Tourist

Sennheiser wireless g3 using press box

Hi!

I'm having troubles figuring out my issue, so here's the details.

I'm using a Sennheiser G3 wireless lav kit directly into a camera.

At a specific location using their mult (press box) I'm having an impossible time using this setup.

When I plug an XLR from the press box into the camera, everything is fine.

When I plug the wireless system with a lav mic into the camera everything is fine.

When I plug a H5ZOOM into the press box. Everything is fine.

But when I have the wireless transmitter plugged into the press box and then receiver into the camera, I can hear what's going on but there is MASSIVE static/noise/etc.

It's not a interference problem since it works as a lav in the very same spot with no issues.

The press box is outputting mic level.

My only thought is HOW i'm plugging into the press box and maybe I don't understand cables. I bought a second Sennheiser CL-100 cable and used an XLR turnaround into the press box. This is the same cable that goes from the receiver into the camera.

Is that cable the problem? What kind of cable do I need?

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Michael
Michael Jasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2017, 10:41 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Sennheiser wireless g3 using press box

The CL-100 cable is for the receiver, aside from the XLR gender, the 1/8: plug is wired differently.
You need a custom cable wired as such.: XLR pin 2 to the1/8" TRS plug's Tip; XLR pin 1 and 3 are connected to the 1/8" plug's ring and sleeve terminals. If there is still some noise, you may have to a add a blocking capacitor to mitigate the bias voltage.
Otherwise you could purchase a new or used SKP-100 plug on transmitter (same frequency block as your current system. (no, you cannot use both transmitters at the same time).
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2017, 08:08 PM   #3
Trustee

Sennheiser makes the CM1 cable that is wired like Rick said and also contains a capacitor. $37 street price in the US.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2017, 07:36 AM   #4
Tourist

Thank you both so very much!
Michael Jasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2017, 08:53 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Thanks Jay,
I wasn't aware of that off-the-shelf cable option. Out of curiosity, would you happen to know if it has those POS molded on connectors?
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2017, 10:05 AM   #6
Trustee

I don't know the quality of the parts for the Sennheiser cable.

I have similar mic input cables from AT and Shure, and in the past from Lectrosonics but none of those used mini-plug connectors and all appeared to be factory soldered components.

I recently rigged up an unbalanced line-level input cable as a test for Sony beltpack transmitters using off-the-shelf cables with molded mini-plug connectors. That worked satisfactorily and I imagine it would be an easy way to get started in making a custom mic-level cable by soldering the appropriate connections with a female XLR. I know molded mini-plug cables are usually prone to problems, but it would be quick and easy to use one as a test to see if the noise is eliminated.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2017, 02:56 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Yeah Jay, the CL100 cable that is bungled with the G2/3 has molded-on connectors, I tossed those aside long ago and built new ones with Canare Neutrik and a TecNec locking plug which cost about $10 for parts and about 15 minutes labor.. I prefer the TecNec 3.5mm locking plug because it's reasonably priced. all metal, and the locking ring retracts enough to use with conventional (non-locking jacks). Many others including the molded-on ones cannot be fully inserted into a non-locking jack. I am looking for right-angle locking plugs, otherwise I'll have to mod them,
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio