Sennheiser ME66 Mic: How to Identify? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 27th, 2017, 03:38 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sennheiser ME66 Mic: How to Identify?

I'm looking at a 2nd hand Sennheiser shotgun microphone on a "for sale" Facebook page.

The seller is having trouble identifying the model of his mic. He believes it's an ME66.

Could anyone tell me if their ME66 is, or should be, labelled with a model number or some sort of identifying feature?

Cheers.
Miggy Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2017, 03:58 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Sennheiser ME66 Mic: How to Identify?

I have attached 2 images from the sale post.
Attached Thumbnails
Sennheiser ME66 Mic: How to Identify?-screen-shot-2017-07-27-7.55.22-pm.png   Sennheiser ME66 Mic: How to Identify?-20248387_1908264649427026_4348814012608091296_o.jpg  

Old July 27th, 2017, 04:59 AM   #3
Major Player

Yep looks like a ME66
Brian P. Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2017, 05:21 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for that. +1 for ME66.

I'm struggling to understand how there is not some sort of labelling present.
Old July 27th, 2017, 05:53 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Mine has a label on the inside of the microphone barrel (where the battery capsule screws into) that says ME-66.
Adam Bauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2017, 07:32 AM   #6
Trustee

Mine is labeled inside the tube too.

Steve
Old July 27th, 2017, 03:52 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Steve, Adam and Brian, thank you.

Very helpful.
Old July 27th, 2017, 08:43 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Mine looks just like your photos. The photo with the battery symbol is the K6 power module.
W. Bill Magac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2017, 10:26 PM   #9
Trustee

The amount of fake and counterfeit mics, headphones, and the like floating around out there is kinda like the North Pacific gyre and it’s trash vortex, in more ways than one, because a lot of it is from Asia.

There is a LOT of stuff out there about counterfeit gear but very little good stuff about how to really tell the fake from the genuine.

Several years ago I bought a ME64 and ME66/K6 from a guy on craig’s list. I did a whole lot of research about how to tell the counterfeits from the real thing but in preparation for writing this post I searched my files but couldn’t locate them. There have been several generations of improvements in the counterfeits as it seems as word has got out about what to look for, so the counterfeiters would improve on it.

I felt comfortable with the purchase at the time as everything was there, including the boxes and the instructions. Also, from the same seller, got a number of other items including a bunch of nice cables, other odds and ends, and a M-Audio mixer that I, hate to say it, have never used. Talking face-to-face with the seller and feeling him out about his purchase was very helpful.

What has made me more leery about buying some used items, though, are the Wasabi FV70 “premium cells” with 2500 mAh batteries I bought last year in lieu of the Sony FV70 1960 mAh ones. Couldn’t resist the price. Well, I can now! They’re a rip off, don’t last nearly as long as the Sony’s. Seller said they may have been a bad batch and sent me another pair. Exactly the same thing. That’s how they do business.

A lot of the gear I have has been bought used via craig’s list and eBay, stuff that basically doesn’t get counterfeited, but lately I’m running out of confidence with the items I’d still like to get, and both are mics. AKG C414 and 100 ENG G3. Will probably buy both new though an authorized dealer, all thanks to the Pacific trash vortex and the counterfeiters. I’ll also save the boxes, paperwork, and receipts for when it comes time to sell them.

Editorial comment: Asian counterfeiters (99%) and their fake imports are harming not only the consumer but also western businesses. Governments needs to do more to stop these fake and grey market imports. Can't trust mic "reviews" either, because one can't be sure the "bad" mic wasn't a fake.

P.S. The pictures of the outside look like mine, too.

Last edited by John Nantz; July 27th, 2017 at 10:36 PM. Reason: P.S. ....
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2017, 07:34 AM   #10
New Boot

re: counterfeit gear

I really only recommend buying used equipment from someone you know personally or from an authorized re-seller (most dealers have a used equipment section on their site). Craigs list and Ebay are full of counterfeiters and scams.
Dave Fisk is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio