Rode VideoMic Pro+ vs Rode Stereo VideoMic Pro for weddings at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 7th, 2017, 09:06 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Rode VideoMic Pro+ vs Rode Stereo VideoMic Pro for weddings

Hi Guys,

So, the title says it all, what mic is recommended for wedding video purposes.
I want a safety mic to use during getting ready and also a mic that gives me better audio quality backup to LAV's attached to groom during ceremony and also just better audio quality during reception if I can't plug directly to DJ audio board.
Now most people would say Videmic Pro isntead of Stereo but hear me out.

I have a C100 markii that comes with Stereo Mic built in on top handle and I also have a Rode NTG shogun mic I can put on it as well when needed for recording pristine dialog.
I also have LAV mic's that I put on groom during ceremony.

The issue is 5D mk iv and sound recording to it. I want an external mic for it as it's sound quality is pretty bad due to bad amps on it and hiss. Basically I want a marginally better audio quality for 5D MK iv.

My logic is yes, videomic pro is better at recording directional dialog, but theoretically to me it seems that Stereo Mic would be more suitable for almost all other instances.
Yes, I could record a few sentences during getting ready with Videomic pro, but wouldn't the stereo mic do a better job at recording pretty much everything else? After all, there is not much dialog I record directly to camera during the wedding if any at all. (I have LAV mics for ceremony).

I mean during reception ambient sound recording is more important. As for speeches during ceremony/reception most of the time their speech comes out of the speakers anyways, so the sound is evenly distributed throughout the room, meaning I could just use the Stereo Mic instead of shotgun no?

I remember during last wedding I couldn't record reception speeches directly off DJ sound board so I just put LAV mic close to speech area and the LAV was recording to Tascam recorder. Although the LAV has a circular pickup pattern of sound the sound coming of it was way better than 5D on board mic, which made me consider getting a Rode Stereo Mic for better audio capture directly to 5D.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks!
Hakob Hakobyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2017, 06:24 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Rode VideoMic Pro+ vs Rode Stereo VideoMic Pro for weddings

If it's camera mounted for nat sound, I'd go with the stereo mic, since it ain't gonna be much good for dialog anyway. Stereo can be summed in post or the best of L-R selected for mono/center.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2017, 09:57 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Reineke View Post
If it's camera mounted for nat sound, I'd go with the stereo mic, since it ain't gonna be much good for dialog anyway. Stereo can be summed in post or the best of L-R selected for mono/center.
That's kind of my logic...
Hakob Hakobyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2017, 07:31 AM   #4
New Boot

It really depends. If you are doing the thing where you go around the reception and get people to talk about the bride and groom, I'd use the Videomic Pro+. If you are just getting shots of things happening, then the stereo videomic is the better option.

I just recently did a test of the Videomic Pro+ and changed the various settings so you can hear what they do. I was impressed.

Dave Fisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2017, 09:25 PM   #5
Major Player

Any word from Rode on the expected launch date/pricing of the Videomic Soundfield that was announced along with the Videomic Pro+ back in January ?

RØDE Announces New VideoMic Pro+, VideoMic Soundfield for 3D On-Camera Audio

Really like the concept of a single on-camera mic with optional pick-up patterns, quote:

"Users can choose between 3 different polar patterns

* Mono-signal similar to VMP, picking up only the sound in front of the camera
* Narrow stereo array, separating background noise from stereo ambience in front
* Wide stereo array to capture ambience like music or nature sounds"

Nothing new of course:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ble_video.html

And the reason why I still hang on to my old Canon DM-100:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...SAAEgJKG_D_BwE

The audio quality of the DM-100 is not quite up to that of the Rode Stereo Videomic Pro. Uses electret mid/side capsules with a limited frequency response (100 Hz - 10 kHz) and you're tied to the Canon Mini Advanced 'hot shoe', but the ability to switch between Shotgun and the two Stereo (90 and 120 degree) modes makes it very convenient for general run-and-gun. There's also a newer battery-powered 'cold shoe' version (DM-E1) that according to the specs has a wider frequency response (50 Hz - 16 kHz) - I don't know how it compares quality wise:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...icrophone.html

Anyhow, I'm glad to see that Rode have recognized the appeal of an "all-in-one" mic and when the Videomic Soundfield mic does eventually materialize it will be interesting to see how it compares with the existing Videomic and Stereo Videomic Pro models. I'm sure it will garner a lot of interest from events and run-and-gun videographers.

Last edited by Bryan Worsley; September 19th, 2017 at 02:26 PM.
Bryan Worsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2017, 07:30 PM   #6
Major Player

I contacted Rode inquiring about the Videomic Soundfield launch date. The reply - "No solid dates yet, still some production work to do on the mic to make it as great as we expect it to be!"
Bryan Worsley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio