DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Solution for 2x G2 Sennheiser RX on top of camera? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/534970-solution-2x-g2-sennheiser-rx-top-camera.html)

Marcello Mazzilli November 17th, 2017 12:39 PM

Solution for 2x G2 Sennheiser RX on top of camera?

Hi, what would be the best way to put TWO Sennheiser G2 receivers on top of a small DSLR camera?
I already have a cold-shoe to cheese plate but Sennheiser receivers come with no hole, screws or anything (just bel clips). Any idea?

Gary Nattrass November 17th, 2017 01:38 PM

Re: Solution for 2x G2 Sennheiser RX on top of camera?

Will these help?

My G2 receivers came with them.

Sennheiser CA 2 Hot or Cold Shoe Adapter (092176) - 009986 - purchase online Sennheiser Pro Spares

Marcello Mazzilli November 17th, 2017 02:22 PM

Lucky you! I got them used. But how do they work.. do you just "hook" the belt adapter to them? No screws etc?
M

Gary Nattrass November 18th, 2017 12:06 AM

From what I remember the belt clip fits around them and you can also move the cold shoe by unscrewing it and re-positioning on the plate.

Found this video via google:

Rick Reineke November 18th, 2017 08:50 AM

Yes, the backing plate is included (on a new set} which fits into the belt clip, The round hot shoe clip can be positioned to different places on the plate (via the holes) with a small Phillis head screwdriver and the flat threaded retainer.
If all else fails.. Velcro.

Steven Digges November 18th, 2017 11:27 AM

That video sounds like Guy Cochran from the DVeStore? In the video he says a Sennheiser Rep told him belt pack transmiters work best mounted upside down because the antenna is pointed at the Earth.

I have known a lot of good audio engineers that each had their own way of doing a lot of things but I have never seen one of them place a body pack on upside down (at least not for that reason). Does anyone know if this can actually help once you get out to sketchy distance?

Marcello, Make sure you buy the super strength velcro to stack the mics. It is bomb proof and the mic will not come off.

Steve

Rick Reineke November 18th, 2017 11:56 AM

As long as the antenna is straight, not against bare skin or other RF inhibiting objects, I don't think it makes that much difference aside from both the Tx and Rx on or about the same orientation. Good question for Larry (ret. Lectro pres) for a definitive & humorous answer.

Steven Digges November 18th, 2017 12:33 PM

Thanks Rick. So, while I'm thinking about it....If we used a mic pick up pattern analogy what direction is the signal leaving the TX antenna? I was taught its omni directional, its a RF signal. Like you said, I try to keep them oriented, usually on a vertical plane. Pointing it down to earth implies its directional?

Steve

Rick Reineke November 18th, 2017 02:32 PM

"If we used a mic pick up pattern analogy what direction is the signal leaving the TX antenna? I was taught its omni directional, its a RF signal"
- Yes, omni with the typical helical whip antenna. Similar to the pattern when a pebble is dropped in a pond of water.

David Peterson November 19th, 2017 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcello Mazzilli (Post 1938705)
Hi, what would be the best way to put TWO Sennheiser G2 receivers on top of a small DSLR camera?
I already have a cold-shoe to cheese plate but Sennheiser receivers come with no hole, screws or anything (just bel clips). Any idea?

If you haven't bought your wireless already, then ditch the Sennhieser idea and go instead for Sony which is not just a bit better but also have a dual receiver you could use instead:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...2855/KBID/3801

Guy Cochran November 24th, 2017 01:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hope the video above helps, I created it after getting a ton of calls on how to mount the Sennheiser receiver upon opening the box for the first time.

Not sure how "True" the statement from the Sennheiser rep was. For sure it helps keep the antenna from touching bare skin. I've been mounting belt pack receivers like this for years now.

To the original poster, Rycote makes a nice shoe extension Rycote https://www.dvestore.com/rycote-0377...tshoe-adaptor/

Gary Nattrass November 25th, 2017 12:42 AM

Thanks Guy and that rail is what I also use to mount my twin G2 as well.

I am lucky to get to use the latest sennheiser 6000 and 9000 digital radio mics at work but still have my trusty G2's for home and hobby use.

The sennheiser RF manual is a very good read and gives a lot of insight into how to get the best out of any radio mic and the two courses I have attended rub by sennheiser have been excellent.

Paul R Johnson November 25th, 2017 03:13 PM

For what it's worth on the orientation up or down. the length of the antenna is related to the frequency, and acts as a ¼ wavelength radiator. The case of the receiver acts as a ground plane, and frankly a pretty poor one, because it's electrical size is too small to function as a decent ground plane, and too big to function as the other half of the ¼ wave dipole - so it's technically a bit compromised. If we assume this is not the case and the ground plane effect is better, then most of the performance is at right angles to the antenna, and it gradually decreases to minimum performance directly above the antenna. Below the horizontal, the performance drops off quicker because of the masking effect of the ground plane. In practice the best reception angle for an incoming signal starts just below the horizontal and is pretty good up to about 45 degrees. The practical upshot means that for a camera height below the transmitter height, it's best right way around, but if your camera is elevated, and will be looking down most of the time - then upside down can work better. I do lots of work in theatres, and if you are in the gods, then upside down gives you an edge - not a huge amount, but one worth having. Mover to the stalls, and I use right way around. Circle? Not really much of a difference. It gets worse when the receiver is camera mounted, because the mass of the camera increases the ground plane area (good), but physically limits the downwards spread because the camera is in the way!