Video of Playing on an Upright Piano - Audio Support Requested - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 27th, 2018, 09:13 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Video of Playing on an Upright Piano - Audio Support Requested

"what heights seem to work good?"
- Usually even with the top or up a foot or more. That's one of the placement variables. BTW, I always remove or open the lid for stand mounted mics.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2018, 11:06 AM   #17
Inner Circle

With uprights, finding the right place for the mics is often quite random - you start with the obvious, have a listen and then try something else and compare - often distances and positions can appear very strange - even did one with two spaced mics, either side of the pianist - with the lid open. I assume the position of the piano close to the wall worked as a reflector.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2018, 11:18 PM   #18
Trustee

Bruce -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
I'd be looking to pull the piano a couple of meters off the wall and mic the soundboard from the back (with all panels in place, especially the one removed in the picture). I'd probably start with an ORTF pair of cardioids to knock down reflections coming from the wall you just pulled the piano off of. Spaced omnis will work too, but I'd start with spacing around 40cm or so.[/url].
Couple meters off the wall could be done, but we could also spin it around at right angles to the wall and then it’d have a lot more fore-and-aft space, if that’d work.

Quote:
This record the back technique is done a lot, it does not originate with me. It was used on a lot of the Jerry Lee Lewis rock 'n roll records in the 1950s and 60s. Last I heard he was still alive and kicking BTW. ;-). I'm just sayin' that recording the soundboard from the back is a professionally used technique.[/url].
Mentioning Jerry Lee Lewis made me do some research - didn’t find out if he’s “still kickin’” but did find out at age around 78 or so he was starting to plan his final tour. Wound up watching a video that probably was from the final tour (he looked older), and dang, he did pretty darn good. Guess all that exuberant piano playing was good for his health. His piano was black with yellow, orange, and red flames on the sides like a street rod! Really Cool! He’s definitely a good showman!

Quote:
More information, a place to start at least, is with the Sound on Sound articles.
Well …. that actually was one of the places, among a few others, I visited before starting this post. But every situation is a little bit different; hence, the request for feedback. Fortunately, there are some really good audio people on this board!

Currently I’m off working on a busy commercial remodeling project for a new client and have a ton of stuff to research and come up with some contracts so editing this shoot; unfortunately, is getting pushed to the back of the priority list. But rest assured, for video editing, its the highest!
John Nantz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio