FCPX 10.3.2 or later - OMF Export? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 5th, 2018, 11:47 AM   #1
Major Player

FCPX 10.3.2 or later - OMF Export?

Hi folks. Have been searching for this on the threads but haven't found it anywhere. I've just finished my first feature length documentary (that I worked on for way way too long :) and I'm entering the realm of areas I don't know much about it when it comes to final touches. One of them, is that Sound Mix Studio we're using needs .OMF files out of FCPX and I can't figure out how to make that happen.

I looked around on the forums and the only specific thread I saw was last answered in 2010. Am I missing something, or can it be true that a major editor like FCPX is missing something so basic?

Thanks for the help in advance!
Josh Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2018, 02:09 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: FCPX 10.3.2 or later - OMF Export?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Hayes View Post
Hi folks. Have been searching for this on the threads but haven't found it anywhere. I've just finished my first feature length documentary (that I worked on for way way too long :) and I'm entering the realm of areas I don't know much about it when it comes to final touches. One of them, is that Sound Mix Studio we're using needs .OMF files out of FCPX and I can't figure out how to make that happen.

I looked around on the forums and the only specific thread I saw was last answered in 2010. Am I missing something, or can it be true that a major editor like FCPX is missing something so basic?

Thanks for the help in advance!
Here is a discussion about this on the Gear Slutz forum:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/post...l#post12357290
Don't know about an OMF, maybe only an AAF. Who makes Sound Mix Studio? Never heard of that software.
Bernie Beaudry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2018, 02:54 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I had a similar question. For my theater work I mix a board feed recorded to a digital recorder and shotgun mic recorded to the camera for general ambient and applause.

I find mixing audio especially when doing a multclip camera madening. When editing the audio inside the multi clip the levels are different than the timeline. I recently declipped the audio track using RX. Despite exporting/editing/importing the same format. It was out of sync. I also tried replacing the existing audio file and despite the length of the audio file remaining the same fcpx wouldn’t accept the file being changed.

I now understand the benefits of being able to send audio directly from the video editor to a dedicated audio editor rather than trying to export and replace the audio. But I’m unaware how to do this and what dedicated audio editors will work this way with FCPX.

Last edited by Pete Cofrancesco; April 5th, 2018 at 04:12 PM.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2018, 03:47 PM   #4
Inner Circle

FCP 7 was the last version that could export an OMF'.
I've received projects from FCP-X video editors who rendered the individual audio tracks, all starting from the head (00:00:00;00) along with a reference video w/ a rough mix. Certainly not as easy as an OMF and does not automatically embed clips to the timeline. FCPx cannot export AAF files either, but that format rarely worked for me a in any cross application, even using AA Translator

I'm not familiar with "Sound Mix Studio" either. I prefer and use Vegas Pro and SloTools when I have to side-chain tracks.. which Vegas sadly does not do.
A lot of folks like Reaper, which is similar to Vegas' intuitive UI. FWIW, Reaper was designed by Justin Frankel of WinAmp fame .

Anyway, this is how the FCP-X audio export workflow was explained to me ...
"Assign 'Role' to all of the audio clips on the timeline. Then when you export the audio, in the export 'Settings' under "Roles as", you want to select Roles as Separate Files and FCPx will create an audio file for the duration of the project with a submix of the audio from each role >>. These will become the Tracks, when imported to a DAW. In other words, if you expect 5 tracks of audio, create 5 roles in FCP X, assign the appropriate audio clips to the 5 roles and export to 5 files using "Roles as Separate Files". You will get one file for each track."
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2018, 05:53 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Reineke View Post
FCP 7 was the last version that could export an OMF'.
I've received projects from FCP-X video editors who rendered the individual audio tracks, all starting from the head (00:00:00;00) along with a reference video w/ a rough mix. Certainly not as easy as an OMF and does not automatically embed clips to the timeline. FCPx cannot export AAF files either, but that format rarely worked for me a in any cross application, even using AA Translator

I'm not familiar with "Sound Mix Studio" either. I prefer and use Vegas Pro and SloTools when I have to side-chain tracks.. which Vegas sadly does not do.
A lot of folks like Reaper, which is similar to Vegas' intuitive UI. FWIW, Reaper was designed by Justin Frankel of WinAmp fame .

Anyway, this is how the FCP-X audio export workflow was explained to me ...
"Assign 'Role' to all of the audio clips on the timeline. Then when you export the audio, in the export 'Settings' under "Roles as", you want to select Roles as Separate Files and FCPx will create an audio file for the duration of the project with a submix of the audio from each role >>. These will become the Tracks, when imported to a DAW. In other words, if you expect 5 tracks of audio, create 5 roles in FCP X, assign the appropriate audio clips to the 5 roles and export to 5 files using "Roles as Separate Files". You will get one file for each track."
Rick, is this using a third party software or a direct export? If direct you would't get handles like you would with an OMF or AFF would you?
Old April 6th, 2018, 08:51 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Not a third-party app ,.. It's more like batch rendering. No handles or EDL support (which sucks). Basically the video editor just renders the individual tracks and/or stems.. and I just put them on my timeline like any other sound file, stating at the head. So for instance, if there's one S/FX at the end or the program, the precedingcontent of that file would just be silence. It sucks.and limits the functionality. I had no issues with OMFs from good old FCP-7, except for the file size, but there were easy work arounds.

Watch your back at football games Bernie
Old April 6th, 2018, 04:33 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Reineke View Post
Not a third-party app ,.. It's more like batch rendering. No handles or EDL support (which sucks). Basically the video editor just renders the individual tracks and/or stems.. and I just put them on my timeline like any other sound file, stating at the head. So for instance, if there's one S/FX at the end or the program, the precedingcontent of that file would just be silence. It sucks.and limits the functionality. I had no issues with OMFs from good old FCP-7, except for the file size, but there were easy work arounds.

Watch your back at football games Bernie
Ha! Will do!
I have a FCX project coming up and this is what I'm recommending the producer/editor use to get me a more flexible export. Its X2Pro. I think its $99 now. Spits out an AAF that can be used in Pro Tools.
Old April 7th, 2018, 08:33 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Have not heard of X2 Pro, but I don't do a lot of post work. Let us know how it works out. I've had trouble importing AAF in the past.
Old April 7th, 2018, 11:45 AM   #9
Trustee

Several years ago I took the decision not to buy yet another copy of pro tools and FCP so have stayed on Snow Leopard with my Mac Pro and FCP 7 with PT V8 and the DV toolkit.

It does all my P2 AVC Intra 100 HD editing and dubbing just fine so I can't see why people would need much more to produce content.

Or maybe I am just a bit of an old fashioned guy?

I do have Logic X on my latest macbook pro but that is just for my music and then export for mixing in PT 8.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio