Question re. protecting base of wireless transmitter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 12th, 2019, 04:08 AM   #1
New Boot

Question re. protecting base of wireless transmitter

Hi all

I have an idea to use Sugru (mouldable plastic which sets hard/flexible) around the base of some wireless transmitters (Sennheiser G5). I've always felt these areas were prone to damage. See attached image.

Any reason not to? Would this impact the signal in any way?

Thanks
Ben
Attached Thumbnails
Question re. protecting base of wireless transmitter-screen-shot-2019-01-12-10.02.08.jpg  
Ben Johnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2019, 01:02 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Question re. protecting base of wireless transmitter

As I stated elsewhere... I do not think it would compromise the RF any if used on the antenna base but I would not goop up an otherwise nice Tx case.
But I've never had any issues with antennas where they enter the case. The flexible part of antenna's usually get kinked up after a while, and if they actually break, they are cheap & easy to replace if your can DIY. (replacement antenna,Torx screwdriver, small soldering iron and about 10 minutes if you've done it before)
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2019, 02:18 PM   #3
Wrangler

Might void any remaining warranty.
Old January 12th, 2019, 10:43 PM   #4
Trustee

It is very doubtful that any kind of plastic or rubber material (like Sugru or equivalent) would have any significant effect on the RF performance of the antenna.

OTOH, those things are easy enough to disassemble. I have replaced broken wires by simply unsoldering them ad replacing with a new piece of wire. The type of wire is not significant. You could replace it with something stiffer and/or stronger.

However the LENGTH of the wire is CRITICAL to proper performance. So measure exactly from the body to the end of the wire and if you replace it, use a longer wire and then cut it back to the exact length after re-assembling the case.

As Mr. Palomaki suggested, it will void whatever warranty you might have. So you will ultimately have to make the tradeoff decision between patch / DIY replacement / or send it in for official $$$ repair.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio