DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Sennheiser EW100 G2 Power Issue - Protection? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/536597-sennheiser-ew100-g2-power-issue-protection.html)

Dan Eggleston February 18th, 2019 03:24 PM

Sennheiser EW100 G2 Power Issue - Protection?

Hello. It's been a while since I posted here...glad my login credentials are still valid!

This weekend I experienced an issue with one of our Sennheiser ew wireless receivers. We have some older ew100 G2 units that I was using to record a lecture. We setup on Friday and everything was working throughout the afternoon during setup and testing. We came back two days later and one of the receiver units would not stay powered on. It would power up and 5 seconds later it would power off, even with new batteries. Does anyone know if these units have a protection mechanism that won't them them stay powered on if they have humidity moisture in them? I am in Florida and the room we were working in did not have air conditioning until the day of the shoot. I imagine it was humid in the room until they started pumping A/C.

Can anyone think of another reason the unit kept powering down? Of course it's not doing it on the bench today!

Thanks,
Dan

Rick Reineke February 18th, 2019 04:36 PM

Re: Sennheiser EW100 G2 Power Issue - Protection?

I have not read of or experienced humidity issues with the 100 series G2,3,4. You are positive the 'new' batteries are good, i.e. voltage test? Did you notice the low battery warning prior to shutdown?
Otherwise, inspect the battery compartment contacts for oxidation and clean with a Q-tip and alcohol, electrical contact cleaner or WD40. Assure the spring terminals have sufficient tension. If all appears ok and the problem persists, dissemble and check the pertinent wires and solder joints.. They come apart very easily with a proper size Torx screwdriver. As I recall the G2 needs a TorxT5. The G3 screws are larger, T7 or T8 I think. I've replaced antennas a few times.

Dan Eggleston February 19th, 2019 09:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Rick. The batteries were definitely new. They are still in the unit and now that it is staying powered on they show full strength.

There does look to be some crud in the battery compartment and one of the 'positive tabs' looks like it is flattened too far and should be bent outwards a little? But the unit hasn't really been touched since we left the room where the shoot was. I just left it in my office at work overnight and now it powers on.

I'll clean up the battery compartment and put it back in service but it is working as is now, just not on Sunday. Ugh!

Rick Reineke February 19th, 2019 11:02 AM

What kind of input was the Rx (receiver) plugged into. If XLR, make sure Phantom Pwr is off, as the 100 series portable Rx is unbalanced.. though I don't think it would cause shut-down. I once had Phantom Pwr engaged on a G2 input, but it just drained the batteries in the mixer I was using quickly.