4 x body pack receivers - how do you manage them? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 13th, 2019, 12:24 PM   #1
Inner Circle

4 x body pack receivers - how do you manage them?

I am about to shoot a series of interviews where the interviewees are not going to be close enough to easily capture dialogue using a boom (without seeing the boom). There will be up to four interviewees talking at the same time. I have 4 x Sennheiser EW100 wireless transmitters and receivers (body pack format) with lav mics and I believe this is the best way for me to go (recording into either a Tascam DR70 or a Zoom H6). All the interviews will be exteriors.

My question is how are people managing multiple receivers? Specifically I mean how are you carrying them? In a belt/pouch? A fishing vest? I have little pouches for the transmitters but this is the first time I have used more than one at the same time and I'm looking for a sensible way to move around with all those receivers! Is there a purpose built solution? This is an amateur production, by the way.

Any guidance gratefully received.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2019, 01:55 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: 4 x body pack receivers - how do you manage them?

Are you also shooting, or, will you be able to dedicate your attention to sound?
Old May 13th, 2019, 02:23 PM   #3
Trustee

Many/most mobile production sound recordists use some kind of shoulder strap bag which holds the recorder and wireless receivers.

Or you could use a second belt (or bandolier) with all the receivers on it so it can be put on and off as a unit, perhaps even with some 3ft/1m cables for each receiver secured to the belt ready to be plugged into your recorder/mixer.
Attached Thumbnails
4 x body pack receivers - how do you manage them?-orca_or_34_audio_mixer_1411056341000_1082112.jpg   4 x body pack receivers - how do you manage them?-20150701_120329.jpg  

Attached Images

Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2019, 02:38 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Thanks both.

Seth - there will be someone else (an amateur) operating sound - I am behind the camera.

Richard - this is what I was thinking (having a bag), although the receivers would be loose inside.

What I am also thinking is to use a spare camera rail system to secure the recorder, then mounting a cheeseplate or cheese rod with some ballheads to hold the receivers. It doesn't need to look pretty!
Old May 13th, 2019, 02:39 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Richard, I didn't see the photos first time round! That last pic might just work :-)
Old May 13th, 2019, 07:29 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Stark View Post
I am about to shoot a series of interviews where the interviewees are not going to be close enough to easily capture dialogue using a boom (without seeing the boom).
One boom per person. Easy.

Quote:
There will be up to four interviewees talking at the same time. I have 4 x Sennheiser EW100 wireless transmitters and receivers (body pack format) with lav mics and I believe this is the best way for me to go (recording into either a Tascam DR70 or a Zoom H6).
I highly highly recommend upgrading to a Zoom F4/F8n, the F4 only costs a little more yet has many more features and sounds much better.

Quote:
My question is how are people managing multiple receivers? Specifically I mean how are you carrying them? In a belt/pouch? A fishing vest? I have little pouches for the transmitters but this is the first time I have used more than one at the same time and I'm looking for a sensible way to move around with all those receivers! Is there a purpose built solution?
Is normal to have a mixing bag that your sound op will wear on a harness (if not using a dedicated sound cart).

Old May 13th, 2019, 09:51 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I myself started out being pretty lazy, now I’m getting feeble.

If it could work for your shooting style on this project, a cart is real nice for visibility of the controls, connections, meters, and the record button, especially on a one-time thing. The ergonomics of shoulder bags *do* work, but... take a little, maybe a shoot or two, to dial in to how you like to work, and to get used to the bits you can’t quite see too easily. Bear in mind that the Senn EW100s do NOT have displays on top that show in a bag. If you can’t easily see the RF meter and the overmodulation LED you’re flying a little blind.

It’ll be real tempting to take the gear out of the bag and put it on the nearest table. If your table had wheels, just push it along to the next shoot. Like a cart! ;-)

Lazy —> Feeble; wheels get more important! Then you put a hook on the cart for your folding chair... a clamp-on sun/drizzle umbrella is nice too. Maybe a cooler with some cokes? Better get a cupholder.
Old May 15th, 2019, 05:25 AM   #8
Inner Circle

All very helpful. Thanks everybody.

I took a look at carts and audio bags but the decent ones are a bit out of the budget range for this little production, as is upgrading the recorder/mixer. However, I have cobbled together a temporary solution using a heavy duty tripod, an old camera rail system, part of a music stand and about 40 metres of velcro :-). The whole thing can be lifted and carried relatively easily (I stress relatively!) without everything falling off. I'll try and get a photo when we're actually using it.

For this particular shoot there are three locations over the weekend and they are all open ground areas, so the cart idea might prove troublesome. I did see some heavy duty carts that could probably handle it but they were understandably very expensive.

Much as I would like to upgrade the recorder, I don't really have a need to. Professionally, I'm usually behind the camera, and when I need good sound I hire in a good sound person with their own kit. I just have the Tascam for ad hoc, last minute or low budget projects like this. That said, I am quite happy with the quality and it's so easy to use.
Old May 15th, 2019, 05:26 AM   #9
Inner Circle

As for lazy/feeble, Seth - have we met?!
Ian Stark is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio