DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Premiere Pro won't play back my audio for some reason. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/536972-premiere-pro-wont-play-back-my-audio-some-reason.html)

Ryan Elder August 25th, 2019 06:58 PM

Premiere Pro won't play back my audio for some reason.

I recorded audio and video for a project. Premiere Pro accepts the video fine, but will not play back the audio tracks once they are imported into the program.

If I play the audio tracks outside of Premiere, using VLC media player, they play fine without any issues. It's just once they are imported into Premiere, they will not play back, not in the project panel, or on the timeline.

I recorded using the same device I always do in wav files, 24 bit/48khz. Does anyone know what the problem could be?

Andrew Smith August 25th, 2019 10:56 PM

Re: Premiere Pro won't play back my audio for some reason.

Sometimes Premiere (depending on your computer) can need a little extra time to perform some behind-the-scenes processing tasks before the audio is playable. Are these particularly large clips you have placed on the timeline? Give it a few minutes or so and then try again.

Andrew

Paul R Johnson August 26th, 2019 12:32 AM

Just a thought but a friend is finding AVCHD files encoded in the camera with Dolby won't play as he says the Dolby codec is no longer present? I don't use this file type so can't confirm? The only other thing is to check the project audio format, is it the same as the clips? Sample rate the same?

Rick Reineke August 26th, 2019 08:31 AM

I suspect an audio codec issue. VLC supports playback of many A/V codecs. PP likely does no have the one you need. I recommend downloading MediaInfo to ID the specific audio codec. MediaInfo will show detailed properties of your source media's video and audio. Otherwise, if it opens in other apps, your could just re-render the audio to a PCM file (WAVE or AIFF) which are pretty much universal..

You could try the K-Lite Codec Pack, However, it has been reported in some render formats, it can compromise render quality with Vegas Pro. I have not read of issues with other NLEs nor have I personally experienced issues with the K-lite codecs.

Pete Cofrancesco August 26th, 2019 08:53 AM

Obviously a codec issue. You might need to rip the audio in another program and imported separately as a wav.

Ryan Elder August 26th, 2019 07:19 PM

Okay thanks, I gave it some time, but still have the issue. When the audio is on the screen in waveform, it shows up faded, indicating that there is something wrong with it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson (Post 1952693)
Just a thought but a friend is finding AVCHD files encoded in the camera with Dolby won't play as he says the Dolby codec is no longer present? I don't use this file type so can't confirm? The only other thing is to check the project audio format, is it the same as the clips? Sample rate the same?

Oh well, this is the first project I shot in 2.97 fps, as everything I shot before, was 23.976. Could this be the reason, as maybe something is not matching up with the video clips?

Brian Drysdale August 27th, 2019 06:53 AM

Because media plays in a player like VLC doesn't mean it'll play in a NLE, which works in entirely different way. Follow the advice about using Mediainfo mentioned earlier, because no one here knows anything about your media and that analysis will give the technical information required.

Pete Cofrancesco August 27th, 2019 08:06 AM

(self edited)

Chris Hurd August 27th, 2019 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco (Post 1952746)
Why do I even try?

Try this, Pete: https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/profile.php?do=ignorelist

Might make things easier... I sure don't want to lose ya.

Brian Drysdale August 27th, 2019 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Elder (Post 1952721)
Oh well, this is the first project I shot in 2.97 fps, as everything I shot before, was 23.976.

I assume this is a typo and you mean 29.97 fps, rather than 2.97 fps.

Have you set up your project in Premiere for this frame rate?

If you source media has been shot at 2.97 fps, you may have to convert it to a standard frame rate before importing it into your NLE.

Brian P. Reynolds September 2nd, 2019 04:00 AM

Check your computer hardware settings.... I use a different video program but the same thing happened to me after adding an additional monitor screen and the PC did an auto update.

In my case there was NO audio o/p when doing anything......

Seth Bloombaum September 2nd, 2019 10:56 AM

Mac or PC?

Onboard (motherboard) sound, aftermarket internal sound card, or aftermarket external sound card?

Does Premiere still properly play other clips?

Ryan Elder September 8th, 2019 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale (Post 1952751)
I assume this is a typo and you mean 29.97 fps, rather than 2.97 fps.

Have you set up your project in Premiere for this frame rate?

If you source media has been shot at 2.97 fps, you may have to convert it to a standard frame rate before importing it into your NLE.

Oh okay, what would be a standard frame rate, you mean 23.976 instead? Since it's a nature and wildlife video though, it was suggested

Brian Drysdale September 8th, 2019 02:37 PM

For someone who went to film school you seem to be unaware of any standards other than those used to shoot at 23.976 fps. For video in North America 29.97 fps a standard frame rate.

https://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/beg...o-frame-rates/

Ryan Elder September 8th, 2019 03:05 PM

Oh okay, others just say to shoot in 23.976 cause it looks more like the theatrical cinematic look, and that's what I've been doing cause 29.97 looks like home video to me, like a camcorder, and this is my first time shooting in that format. I knew it was a standard for broadcast TV, but didn't to use it, since non of my projects were for broadcast TV.

Brian Drysdale September 8th, 2019 03:25 PM

This was discussed in another thread, so there's no point in going over old ground.

Ryan Elder September 8th, 2019 03:51 PM

Yep that's true.

Well the Premiere Pro project is 29.97, same as the footage I am importing in. Cannot understand why I cannot hear the sound though. But I re-imported everything into an entire new project to see if that would make a difference. The new project has the same settings, but now I can hear all the audio, so I guess that worked.