Audio heartbeat not audible on youtube / mobile? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 18th, 2019, 10:05 PM   #1
Major Player

Audio heartbeat not audible on youtube / mobile?

I have a video that uses a heartbeat sound which sounds great and powerful on my workstation (which has a subwoofer) but when played on a mobile device or even my wimpy laptop the heartbeat sound is almost entirely non-existant. Is there a way I can adjust this so it can be heard? I assume it's because the sound is mostly in the sub / low range / whatever you call it....
David Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2019, 10:50 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Audio heartbeat not audible on youtube / mobile?

With bass instruments it's generally necessary to be sure there's some definition via a higher frequency. It might be 800Hz or it might be 2kHz. With bass guitars I sometimes have to cut the lows somewhat and find a definition frequency to boost a bit. But then I generally have the other instruments as a reference.

Perhaps you should us a low shelf eq to cut the frequencies covered by your subwoofer, boost the level until it's audible, then bring the low shelf back up to fill in the lows.
Patrick Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2019, 01:37 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Re: Audio heartbeat not audible on youtube / mobile?

You need to convince yourself first. Generate some tones. Most daws can do this, if not download from YouTube. Do a loud medium and quiet level in your editor at a range of frequencies and play the results on phones, tablets and as many computers as you can. Then you can decide on your own lowest frequency that you can be pretty sure will be heard. Subwoofers are put on people's systems because the existing system has a higher than desired cutoff at the bottom. Common sense says that as you cannot guarantee everyone has them, then anything that comes through them should be treated as optional, not essential audio. I find it quite funny when I play audio tracks on my MacBook and don't realise that a song in the key of B may have been a poor choice when the bass player has a 5 string bass and the temptation to use that bottom string was too much! The octave B is feeble on my MacBook, and th bottom B is simply missing!

Subwoofer content is enhancement or special effect use only. You editor audio should reflect the typical listening environment of the consumer.

I now edit in my audio studio and I have the editor audio output set to gently remove below 100Hz in th feed to the studio monitors for exactly this reason. I also run a spectrum scope so I can keep an eye on what is in the mix.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio