Sennheiser ew 100 G2 annoying cracking sound. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 5th, 2020, 08:42 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Sennheiser ew 100 G2 annoying cracking sound.

Anthony, I am using bank U and just tuning to the freq I want to use as I have set on mine at the moment is 865.000 or 865.500 from memory as I do not have the packs beside me. I do have the same ones as you also have plugin TX and hand held mic as well.

From memory if you use banks ie as in bank 1 or even 2 there is some freq you can not go to that why I am using bank U (as in user tune able)

Paul, Know what you are saying but when there is a load of phones near by as they have about .6w to 3w of tx power can be enough. I also have a rf spectrum analyser as in usb one for my pc/laptop also have a lab one that I got via very good friend.
Tony McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2020, 11:13 AM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony McGuire View Post
Anthony, I am using bank U and just tuning to the freq I want to use as I have set on mine at the moment is 865.000 or 865.500 from memory as I do not have the packs beside me. I do have the same ones as you also have plugin TX and hand held mic as well.

From memory if you use banks ie as in bank 1 or even 2 there is some freq you can not go to that why I am using bank U (as in user tune able)

Paul, Know what you are saying but when there is a load of phones near by as they have about .6w to 3w of tx power can be enough. I also have a rf spectrum analyser as in usb one for my pc/laptop also have a lab one that I got via very good friend.
OK Thank you Tony,

And thank you too Paul.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2020, 03:02 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Strictly speaking, we should be in channel 70 in the UK now, so 863-865MHz which should be free of the digital dividend channels which finish at 862MHz. I see very little cellular spurious output in this band, and while it can leak directly into audio systems, I don't find it a major issue. Putting the phone near the RF Explorer does show some low level hash in 70, but from more than a metre away - it's gone. Even when you're a way away from a cell tower and the phones are polling on full power to wake another up, there's little issue really.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2020, 06:02 PM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
..... I would try 864.000 to 865.000 and see if it still happens
Tony, I had a wedding on Saturday past and I did change the freq to 864.000 and it seemed to help a lot.
Its a lot better than it was, little or no cracking at all this time :)

I'm getting the loan of a mic from a friend, just to try that out too and see if the mic was to blame :)

I have a cable like the one below but it didn't come with the mini-jack fitted.

https://www.proav.co.uk/sennheiser-c...ew-series-kits

I've a new 3.5 locking mini-jack plug and I now need to solder the 3 wires (red, white and the ground) to the plug but don't know the soldering connection.

Could someone advise please.

Thanks again for your help.
Old March 11th, 2020, 03:32 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Anthony,

I will pin mine out when I get a chance at some point to day and let you know
Old March 11th, 2020, 03:35 AM   #21
Inner Circle

A good rule of thumb is to stay away from frequencies that end in .000 Switch mode power supplies put out all sorts of crud, and much of it is mathematically linked to frequencies we use. For example - I still do two way radio hires and because of my studios here with zillions of switch mode power supplies, I can not test radios on the coastguard private channel 156.000MHz, because there is so much interference here. 156.025MHz is totally free of issues. Up in the UHF band its not quite so bad, but using an analyser shows the band is far from free of sproggies - and they concentrate on the maths friendly frequencies. As a result, consider using spots frequencies, NOT the ones in the band slots - which are determined as intermod free channels so you can put many channels into the space with minimal interference. If, for example a set of pre-programmed channels has 864.000 then 864.700, there is no reason not to explore anywhere between them. Turn the squelch off, switch off pilot tone and see if they are quiet. If they are, try them.

I hate the scan function - it often gives a false sense of security, because just because the scan function indicated a clear channel - it could be one affected by harmonics and sproggies from phones when one comes close. People assume that a frequency found by scanning is safe - they are NOT!
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2020, 04:22 AM   #22
Trustee

Quote:
Anthony,

I will pin mine out when I get a chance at some point to day and let you know

Thank you Tony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson View Post
A.., for example a set of pre-programmed channels has 864.000 then 864.700, there is no reason not to explore anywhere between them. Turn the squelch off, switch off pilot tone and see if they are quiet. If they are, try them.

I hate the scan function - it often gives a false sense of security, because just because the scan function indicated a clear channel - it could be one affected by harmonics and sproggies from phones when one comes close. People assume that a frequency found by scanning is safe - they are NOT!
OK Thank you Paul for the advice, I'll try that, thanks.
Old March 11th, 2020, 07:39 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Hi Anthony

On my lead which is home made. I have red going to tip of the 3.5mm jack and nothing connected to the ring blue and sheld is are connected together and connected to the sleave of the 3.5mm jack.

If you have a multimeter you could do continuity test from pin 2 on the XLR to see if it is the red on your lead.

Pin 1 on the XLR will be the sheld of the cable and 3 maybe the blue on yours.

http://mcgcs.net/xlrto35mm.png

Hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails
Sennheiser ew 100 G2 annoying cracking sound.-xlrto35mm.png  
Old March 11th, 2020, 08:05 AM   #24
Trustee

Thank you Tony, yes, that does help, i'll check that out :)
Old March 11th, 2020, 10:29 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony McErlean View Post
I have a cable like the one below but it didn't come with the mini-jack fitted.
https://www.proav.co.uk/sennheiser-c...ew-series-kits

I've a new 3.5 locking mini-jack plug and I now need to solder the 3 wires (red, white and the ground) to the plug but don't know the soldering connection.
The CL 100 XLR cable is for the portable receiver, to a balanced XLR input.

If your are putting a 3.5mm TRS plug on a lavaliere mic to plug for a SK100 Tx. The mic cable shield is connected to the Sleeve and Ring terminals, The other two wires go to the Tip.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2020, 12:06 PM   #26
Trustee

Hi Rick, I’m putting the 3.5 mini-jack plug on to the end of the lead thats in the link above. I’ve one like that in the link but it hasn’t the mini-plug fitted. Thanks
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio