Parabolic Microphone Suspension - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 10th, 2020, 08:51 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Parabolic Microphone Suspension

Good Suggestion. Now I'll have to figure out the hardware.
Conrad Obregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2020, 07:33 PM   #17
Trustee

This might be overly simplistic, but I can picture a piece of aluminum U channel (for the sake of stiffness) mounted from the tripod screw forward (below the camera), then the mic mounted upside down from the front end of the channel. Worst case it might involve a little bit of TIG welding. A rig like that would put the mic slightly below the tripod mounting plate. You'd just need to figure out a shock mount that kept the mic up high enough so it wasn't at risk of running into the tripod legs.

If I had a detailed assembly drawing of the dish and mounting details, I could probably be more specific. As it is I'm just working from imagination.

Last edited by Greg Miller; April 10th, 2020 at 08:38 PM. Reason: typo
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2020, 09:41 PM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad Obregon View Post
I'm surprised that no one else seems to have experience with a parabolic mic. The sound field is much deeper than with shotgun.
Theory says that the frequency response of a parabolic mic is not flat. Gain decreases as frequency decreases, and there's a low cutoff frequency related to the size of the dish. (The same is true of RF behavior of parabolic antennas, which is why today's 12GHz satellite dishes are smaller than the 4GHz dishes 30 yrs ago.) To get frequency response low enough to pick up natural sounding male voice, you'd need much bigger than a 9" dish. If you want to film someone 500 ft. away, you hang a lav, either wireless or with a pocket recorder.

BTW there has been some past discussion about parabolic mics, including some very interesting links to huge WWI listening devices. Search the forum and you'll find some of that info, if you're interested.

Last edited by Greg Miller; April 11th, 2020 at 11:54 AM.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio