I laughed 'til I cried at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 18th, 2020, 12:32 AM   #1
Trustee

I laughed 'til I cried

I was just contacted by someone locally -- not even an amateur, let alone a professional -- with a strange project. He thought it would be a good idea to make a video of the this year's fireworks display. So he recruited seven friends, each with their individual video camera, to shoot footage. In his favor, I will say that they all shot continuously (except for one camera that allegedly went into error mode and shut itself off because it thought the audio track was too loud). But, you guessed it ... no time code, no definite head or tail slate. So, e.g., one camera was "about 200 or 300 feet" from loudspeakers playing the music track for the display. "Can't we use that?"

I am not soliciting advice here ("run away, fast" might be appropriate). I have given it some thought, I have found some solutions. But ... talk about doing things the wrong way! I did suggest that he think about the details *beforehand* if he wants to try this again.

Just thought you folks might enjoy this little diversion, since the forum has been quiet lately. Maybe we need a "can you top this one?" thread.

Peace, out.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2020, 05:18 AM   #2
Equal Opportunity Offender

Re: I laughed 'til I cried

I've kinda said this in various places before ...

The role of the amateur is to make the professional look good. I used to say this in graphic design circles (because there would always be someone after school using their computer to compete with). Applies here just as well. I just let amateurs learn the hard way and do my best to remain humble and thankful.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2020, 06:46 AM   #3
Major Player

At least with fireworks you have the slate equivalent of a bursting shell, the visual part. Only one audio source is likely to be usable due to the difference in distances. Amateurs have the luxury of time to deal with the issues. Too bad about the music. I need to dust off some footage I shot in downtown Atlanta a few years ago, incredible concussive effects from the tall buildings.
Jim Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2020, 09:06 AM   #4
Inner Circle

sounds like fun. ;-)

If there was a camera far enough away that didn't have the music in the background you could use that for the sound of the fireworks explosions and then add your own music. It would then be a matter of visually syncing up the cameras.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2020, 09:09 AM   #5
Trustee

Unfortunately it wasn't even that simple. There were simultaneous (although not synchronous) displays at several different locations, with a few cameras at each location. At any given location, not all the cameras were aimed in a way to get all the bursts (you'd need a very wide lens for that, but then the individual bursts would look small and thus less impressive). So, unfortunately, no 100% visual slate, either.

At least one camera had a balanced XLR input. That volunteer chose to record audio from his portable radio ... but with the wrong adapter, so that he ended up with a mono L-R track. (oh, right, he was the one "professional" out of all the camera people).

Etc. etc.
Old July 18th, 2020, 09:14 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco View Post
If there was a camera far enough away that didn't have the music in the background you could use that for the sound of the fireworks explosions and then add your own music. It would then be a matter of visually syncing up the cameras.
The thing that has always bothered me about these "synchronized" displays is that they aren't. If the flash is synchronized with the music element (which is the intent), then the boom is too late. So they always look stupid to me when I see them in person (which I therefore try to avoid). It's like watching an entire movie with the sound loop too big.

Because different shells burst at different altitudes, an audio "boom recorder" would have to be at a significant horizontal distance if you wanted to sync the booms to the music track.
Old July 18th, 2020, 09:18 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Yeah reminds me how simple these projects always sound at the out set. Film fireworks with multiple cameras put them together... Maybe it be better to produce the highlights that aren't synced.

No offense but who really wants to watch a video of the fireworks. The whole point is to experience it first hand and even professional videos are still a poor facsimile. All those people who film concerts on their phone does anyone every watch them? The whole point of a live event is being there in person.
Old July 18th, 2020, 10:00 AM   #8
Trustee

Agreed. As I said, I don't even enjoy them in person. (And what about all the toxic lead and sulphur compounds wafting in the breeze?) Apparently a lot of amateur helpers are involved, stringing wires (and whatever else they do). Maybe they want to watch the video afterward to give themselves a pat on the back.

Fireworks are what they do in hell, when the bagpipers take a break.
Old July 18th, 2020, 12:30 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Yeah I'd be more interested in watching a behind the scenes movie of what goes into pulling off the show with some b roll of the actually fireworks, funny stories, interesting characters... There's probably already a reality show on that idea or in the works.

Good luck brother LOL
Old July 18th, 2020, 02:25 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I would get a good quality copy of the original audio and cut the footage to that as I saw fit. It's not the kind of thing that needs to be a literal document of the event.
Patrick Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2020, 04:43 PM   #11
Trustee

Pete, now that you mention it, a video of the setup (or teardown) would be interesting. I have no idea how they do something of this magnitude. I'd prefer to see the technology, rather than watch the display.

Patrick, I have the master audio, which I used only to figure out some of the sync points. I am not touching the video (not even watching it), thank God. What the volunteer person/people seems to want is a literal document. It's in their hands now. I wish them luck. Fortunately, my part is done.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio