DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   The fader on my field recorder does not have numbers, does anyone know? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/537509-fader-my-field-recorder-does-not-have-numbers-does-anyone-know.html)

Pete Cofrancesco July 29th, 2020 01:50 PM

Re: The fader on my field recorder does not have numbers, does anyone know?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Reineke (Post 1960403)
My Marshall guitar amp goes to 11..

Why not make 10 the top number and make that a little louder?

Greg Miller July 29th, 2020 01:54 PM

If you got a Dymo label maker and changed the top number to 12, would that increase the SPL coming out of the amp? ;-) What if you changed the labels to Roman numerals? Would the amp translate the mic input into Italian?

I truly worry about Ryan. With his seeming incomprehension of anything vaguely technical (e.g. numbers on a gain control knob) and inability to assimilate any information we give him, how can he perform any job that's even slightly technical. I can't imagine what it's like.

Pete Cofrancesco July 29th, 2020 02:00 PM

One of the funniest scenes I can think of

Paul R Johnson July 30th, 2020 12:19 AM

I am coming to the conclusion that Ryan wants to be involved in producing video products really badly, but is ill prepared for any of the production or performance roles. He is only concerned in planning tasks to ridiculous detail but unable to convert any of the planning to anything other than point and shoot with his camera and inappropriate lens that he had years ago and won't ever change.

Most people on this and our forums are sadly equipment sponges. I know I am. If I get a bit of money to spend, I blow it quickly on something I fancy, and now I'm old I've got a warehouse full! Some is clearly junk, some is nostalgic, a small quantity is genuinely useful. I don't think Ryan has ever, in thousands of posts, talked about his new kit purchases. Tripods, heads, editing computers, monitors, lights, mics, booms, accessories. He talks about things I suspect he is given, or borrows which probably explains why he struggles using them. They're not his to practice with.

Brian Drysdale July 30th, 2020 12:30 AM

It was probably easier to use borrowed kit that you haven't used before in the days when you could set gain etc on a pot on the side or bottom of the kit using a screw driver, rather than using software,

Paul R Johnson July 30th, 2020 03:19 AM

Was hoping we could have a coffee over Christmas Brian - but I suspect the likelihood of a production this year is getting less and less. Perhaps we should try Saskatoon instead?

Brian Drysdale July 30th, 2020 03:33 AM

Yes, I heard on the radio news that early August was midnight for the panto season, and the horses will be turning back to mice again..

Paul R Johnson July 30th, 2020 05:57 AM

The trouble is the Opera House have been dark since last panto and have sold a million and a half pounds worth of advance sales - so cancelling will be a very tough business decision. I hope the NI Government do something different. Normal opening capacities won't be decided until November which is far, far too late. Finger firmly crossed.

Brian Drysdale July 30th, 2020 06:54 AM

The Incidence of Covid 19 has been relatively low in NI and they tend to follow the Republic of Ireland to a certain extent. If I was running a panto in Belfast I would be looking at the SSE Arena to allow social spacing. Of course, that doesn't help the Grand Opera House.

Paul R Johnson July 30th, 2020 09:44 AM

In the early 1900's the capacity of the opera house was double what it is today at just over a thousand - that must have been horrible, especially as everyone smoked and many were on pipes!

The Arena pantomimes are pretty well agreed in the industry to be simply hopeless. Many tried video IMAG, so the little looks and asides were visible but they're just not panto. I suspect our American chums have no idea what we're talking about. Sorry folks!

Brian Drysdale July 30th, 2020 10:06 AM

The Belfast SSE Arena is used in a variety of sizes, full, half or theatre.They did a panto there a couple of years ago in theatre mode, it sort of worked, but it was up against the established GOH show. I suspect it needed more investment for it to really work.

Pete Cofrancesco July 30th, 2020 11:32 AM

What is this! Ryan hasn't asked yet what mixer has pots that go to 11?

Greg Miller August 2nd, 2020 08:49 PM

Speaking of Spinal Tap, Harry Shearer (who was one of the writers, and played "Derek Smalls" in the cast) is still going strong. He voices several characters of The Simpsons, and produces his own weekly radio show "Le Show" https://harryshearer.com/le-show/

Josh Bass August 2nd, 2020 09:01 PM

Also speaking of Spinal Tap, I heard Christopher Guest was a jerk.

Pete Cofrancesco August 3rd, 2020 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Bass (Post 1960449)
Also speaking of Spinal Tap, I heard Christopher Guest was a jerk.

I heard that Ellen Degeneres is a bigger jerk.