DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   The fader on my field recorder does not have numbers, does anyone know? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/537509-fader-my-field-recorder-does-not-have-numbers-does-anyone-know.html)

Josh Bass August 3rd, 2020 11:41 AM

Re: The fader on my field recorder does not have numbers, does anyone know?

Yes Ive been reading that too. I wont lie...she had me totally fooled.

Pete Cofrancesco August 3rd, 2020 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Bass (Post 1960452)
Yes Ive been reading that too. I wont lie...she had me totally fooled.

They're actors after all. It's easy to get fooled if they're doing their job well... I'm always suspicious of anyone who's unnaturally nice.

Josh Bass August 3rd, 2020 02:29 PM

Not only that but I was on a shoot with two of the Houston Texans who used to be kind of celebs (way before JJ), were in a few commercials etc, they mentioned during setup how they were guests on her show and how she was “just as nice as she seems.” Thinking about it though, DUH, they were GUESTS and celebs. A lot easier to be mean to people who depend on you for a livelihood.

Paul R Johnson August 3rd, 2020 03:49 PM

Most are nice, some are just shy and private. Others are absolute tossers. One of the nicest people who I didn't expect to be nice (and I'm not sure why) was Jimmy Osmond. We were doing a show and his brothers arrived. I met them at Stage Door, and was on my way up to Jimmy's dressing room when jimmy arrived - saw me carrying one of their cases, and took it off me - saying "you don't need to do that". A genuinely nice fella. He's been ill for a while now, I hope he gets better soon. Some of them would be nice if it wasn't;t for the totally over the top attitude of their management.

An few years back we were doing a show with Hank Marvin, and when nobody was about I was demonstrating to the young crew the footwork the Shadows always did, and frankly, I was messing it badly up when a voice behind me said "would you like me to show them how to do it properly". Oops.

Josh Bass August 3rd, 2020 06:18 PM

I think I read something about Casper Van Dien, during the filming of Starship troopers, helping the grips move C stands etc. during setups when he wasn't working.

Pete Cofrancesco August 3rd, 2020 08:52 PM

I think the biggest contributing factor is if the person has an inordinate amount of power, money, and fame, any defect in their personality gets magnified because nobody says no to them.

Josh Bass August 3rd, 2020 10:53 PM

It can go the other way where they're barely known but THINK they're A-listers, with the same result.

Brian Drysdale August 4th, 2020 12:38 AM

I've heard the leading man on a feature film discussing with the sparks on how to prevent a first time producer interfering during the production because he didn't know what he was doing.

Paul R Johnson August 4th, 2020 03:13 PM

Sometimes my job is to be 'nice' to the leading lady, to keep her out of everyone's hair. One TV well known face would hear my voice and shout at the top of her voice "Tea, two sugars, now!" One Sunday she phoned me and said she was feeling lonely, so needed taking out for lunch. I asked where she fancied - "somewhere with no riff riff". As we walked into the posh restaurant she looked at me and said "You did bring money, didn't you?". We also did a TV OB, and I was coat carrier. The floor manager shouted - we're off, coming back to us in 4:30. She'd snap her fingers and say "coat" - I'd put it around her shoulders. The floor manager would say 30 seconds everyone, she snap her fingers and yell coat again, and I'd take it off.

Ryan Elder August 5th, 2020 12:22 PM

Hey there, everyone, thanks for the advice! I tried applying it as best as I could. I couldn't rent any dynamic mics, because of covid and all, and places were closed, but I used my condenser mics, and tried different distances. Of course I had to keep the gain turned down incredibly low to record the shots, so hopefully they are good. Thanks again!

Greg Miller August 6th, 2020 06:58 PM

An experiment never hurts, as long as nothing gets broken and you're not under any deadline. Did the waveform look clipped when you viewed it on your audio editing software?

Ryan Elder August 7th, 2020 02:49 PM

No there is no clipping at all accept for the first couple since I had to get the levels right. But not for the rest of them. I am just not sure if there is distortion in other ways, since gunshots sound kind of distorted to begin with.

Greg Miller August 8th, 2020 12:28 AM

Yes, you're absolutely right. The mic preamp (before some of the controls) or even the mic itself could produce distortion, but that would not necessarily show up as clipping. Although it might produce a clipped-looking waveform at a level that's lower than 100%.

If you have heard some movies (or TV shows) that have gunshots that sound good to you, I guess you could compare your recordings to those. I believe this thread had some earlier links that talked about gunshot recordings, hopefully those are useful to you. I have no experience with gunshots so I'm afraid I can't provide any personal opinion.

Paul R Johnson August 8th, 2020 12:35 AM

The great thing about gunshots is that they're always so obvious meaning in the edit you can just replace them.

Ryan Elder October 23rd, 2020 10:56 PM

Well I am going out to record them soon. I couldn't before because the event was cancelled but I am soon.

However, it worries me what was said before that the mic could be damaged from the loud sound of the gun. Is this true, even if you have the gain turned down super low?