Working from home at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 22nd, 2020, 11:56 AM   #1
Trustee

Working from home

This relates to video as well as audio. (feel free to move it if appropriate) IMHO it's pretty damned impressive.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JohnBrown...62997957271553
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2020, 05:24 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Working from home

To say the least. I saw a FB post where some broadcast engineers were criticizing him for a few "blue outs"
Give the guy a break!
Jase Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2020, 10:39 PM   #3
Trustee

I'd love to read an in-depth description of the setup some day. I'm amazed that he could even get enough bandwidth in and out of his house to pull it off. (Or was he just logged into a remote switcher, with compressed video on his monitors?) I also read that he had a generator running in the back yard because his part of Calif. was having intermittent power grid problems. What were the backup plans, etc. etc.?
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2020, 03:19 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Most Sat Trucks nowadays are small production trucks. So few have just sat gear in, and in these days of IP cameras and control (think blackmagic designs, for example) control is now location irrelevant. Many of the sat trucks in the UK go out with a few cameras and switch in the truck, but controlled from the TV centre - or of more appropriate controlled from the truck under the remote directors audio calls. With a stable system the only issue is up/down delay, and many trucks now are using parallel cellphone feeds to increase bandwidth, with satellite with the greater delay the backup.

I've installed a NAS at my home where the audio studio is and do my video editing about a mile away. My grandson who is 9 uses my sound studio which is 24/7 on when he goes to my house - he likes creating weird stuff and is reliable enough, however - he fiddles. I have tried to replicate what he did, but my ATEM switcher in the video studio suddenly started switching on it's own. Somehow, he was pressing buttons there and managed to switch my switcher remotely. Something to do with static UPs both ends no doubt and something I've been fiddling with that had greater implications. He's already mastered the ability unaided to make music suddenly blare out of one computer to annoy me. Modern software looks for online active kit - so if he sees in a device list in Spotify, for example, that I'm playing music, he can change it.

This idea of running broadcast from any location is simply stunning in opportunities. The technology is really just a tool and isn't in charge any longer. Just think how much this is a benefit to things like the olympics when getting cameras to centre is a full time job for the routing engineers with dedicated circuits. Now it's just IP addresses, and they're up and running.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio