Should the pitch in the voice be changed with slow motion dialogue? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 3rd, 2020, 11:22 PM   #1
also known as Ryan Wray

Should the pitch in the voice be changed with slow motion dialogue?

If you want to do a shot in slow motion but a person is speaking, should the pitch of their voice be changed as well? This of course can sound cheesy. But if you don't change the pitch is it weird to have a normal dialog pitch if the video is in slow motion?

One movie I can think of that has slow motion is Parasite, in this clip at 2:25 into the clip:

But how do they do that without it coming of as strange that the pitch hasnt' changed?
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2020, 12:51 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Should the pitch in the voice be changed with slow motion dialogue?

You don't need to use the original sound, just get the actor to say the dialogue slowly in post and replace the original audio. Film making is about cheating.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2020, 07:15 AM   #3
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh sure I can do that. I was just wondering how it should sound to the audience, pitch wise, in terms of what would come off as natural.
Old September 4th, 2020, 07:17 AM   #4
Inner Circle

If it sounds and looks right to you, the audience should follow. unless you're totally lacking in judgment.
Old September 4th, 2020, 12:15 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I've never seen that movie and my God, is it really that bad all the way through? Seriously - Brian is correct as usual - you create what you need to make it work. I doubt much of that scene has recorded audio from the recording - it sounds fake, and quite averagely done too. If you halve the speed, that's not exactly very slow motion, but the impact on audio is severe, so it's a re-record. Remember Alvin and the Chipmunks - that was a doubling when using the real performers and a bit less with female performers as in the later stuff. half is pretty average slo-mo isn't it!
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2020, 04:03 PM   #6
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay, then thanks, I can do it that way. Thanks.

How slow is that slow motion then in terms of fps?

As for if the movie is that bad all the way through, it depends on how you define bad, I guess.
Old September 4th, 2020, 05:51 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I find that audiences prefer when I adjust the pitch back to normal in slow motion shots - especially if recognizable voices are involved.

However, the pitch adjustment tools in most NLEs aren't that great. The sound often takes on a harsh, metallic quality. In particular, I find the pitch correction in Premiere to be just barely OK for technical/instructional/ENG types of footage, but it would be completely unacceptable for a feature film. (Most of my slomo is at 1/2 to 1/4 real speed.) You may have to experiment with a few audio editors to find one that doesn't have unpleasant and unrealistic artifacts.

Or, as has been suggested, treat it as ADR and record later.
Greg Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2020, 10:29 PM   #8
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay thanks. Yes, I have played with the pitchshifter in Premiere Pro as well and also find it has a metallic quality too it. It's just whenever I have done ADR in the past, it could never match so I am reluctant, unless it's a last resort, or at least need to figure out how match it better.
Old September 4th, 2020, 11:44 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Ha! I never even knew premiere could pitch shift! I always use cubase for this, as for the past few versions it's pitch shift ability has been really good.
Old September 5th, 2020, 01:37 AM   #10
Inner Circle

The example you've given would be pretty simple to match up.

A number of feature films have a lot of ADR and get away with it. I've done it manually editing on 16mm film and it works to a satisfactory level. .

It depends on what you mean by match. I know some people obsess about precisely matching waveforms when syncing up sound and picture when using the camera audio as a sync reference with an external recorder. When, in practice, all you need is the waveforms to be within the same frame for things to be in sync. Also, you don't use the camera audio, since it's poor quality.
Old September 5th, 2020, 01:46 AM   #11
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay, it's just in the past, I have had trouble trying to match with ADR. For example in this clip, I have had directing the actors to match it, or maybe I just need to develop my directing skills with that? It happens at 9:28 into the video:

Old September 5th, 2020, 02:07 AM   #12
Inner Circle

When I did it the old fashioned way, I was replacing the original actor's voice and a couple of words. I played back the original audio to the person re-voicing through headphones.and repeated this until it was close enough. This was called looping in the past for a good reason.

It was fine tuned during the edit by removing the odd frame.
Old September 5th, 2020, 09:47 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Cubase, my favourite for music has the ability to take a clip - and then take different versions of the same part and then adjust it to fit. Musically, lets say you have 5 BVs and they should all be singing exactly the same, but you discover they all have slight differences - maybe in the gaps, or the phrasing. You designate one as master, and then the others get stretched and shrunk to fit. You can take the compromised audio shot on location, designate it as master, and then the replacement dialogue you recorded at the replacement session gets wrangled to fit. As an ADR tool, it's great. It needs a clearly defined audio file, but doesn't seem to worry too much about background noises as long as the peaks in the voice are distinct.
Old September 5th, 2020, 02:08 PM   #14
also known as Ryan Wray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale View Post
When I did it the old fashioned way, I was replacing the original actor's voice and a couple of words. I played back the original audio to the person re-voicing through headphones.and repeated this until it was close enough. This was called looping in the past for a good reason.

It was fine tuned during the edit by removing the odd frame.
When you say you fine tune it by removing the odd frame, wouldn't the removed frame be visible in the editing because you would see that there is a missing frame?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson View Post
Cubase, my favourite for music has the ability to take a clip - and then take different versions of the same part and then adjust it to fit. Musically, lets say you have 5 BVs and they should all be singing exactly the same, but you discover they all have slight differences - maybe in the gaps, or the phrasing. You designate one as master, and then the others get stretched and shrunk to fit. You can take the compromised audio shot on location, designate it as master, and then the replacement dialogue you recorded at the replacement session gets wrangled to fit. As an ADR tool, it's great. It needs a clearly defined audio file, but doesn't seem to worry too much about background noises as long as the peaks in the voice are distinct.
When you say different versions of the same part, do you mean different 'takes'?
Old September 5th, 2020, 03:05 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Don't you think before you reply? The odd frame in the audio.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio