DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   New live performance upcoming! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/537642-new-live-performance-upcoming.html)

John Murphy October 23rd, 2020 03:41 PM

New live performance upcoming!

I'm the recording engineer for another live symphony concert this weekend. Shostakovich and Beethoven. The second movement of the Shostakovich Second Piano Concerto is gorgeous. Well worth a listen.

I'm not really using the ORTF method this weekend. The orchestra is just to spread out. I'll be using mics for each main group. 1st. violin, 2nd violin etc.
ORTF mics will be used for a little more body to the sound and for the piano performance.

If your locked in the house this Saturday night, check it out! 7:30 MDT, 10/24/20

JM

https://www.helenasymphony.org/maste...-shostakovich/

This link or look up Helena Symphony Orchestra on Youtube.

I'm not part of the video crew.

Allan Black October 23rd, 2020 04:50 PM

Re: New live performance upcoming!

Way to go John. Good to get in business with this dreadful virus still around. Look for it on uTube.

Dig the Helena Orchestra’s address, 21 N Last Chance Gulch Suite, Helena. Can’t top that, but by sheer co-incidence I’m just about to put up a John Williams Star Wars concert link.

Cheers.

John Murphy October 25th, 2020 10:42 PM

Thanks Allan, it is so nice to be involved in such beauty as a symphony concert.

For anyone who is looking for about 5 minutes of pure joy, take a listen at about 24:40. Wonderful.

j

Andrew Smith October 26th, 2020 05:55 AM

Audio was nice and clear.

Andrew

Paul R Johnson October 26th, 2020 10:54 AM

Was the stereo technique problem the 'spread apartness' or the myriad of covid screens? I wonder how much they messed with the usual stereo field. The multi-mic approach worked really well, I thought. Nice recording.

Allan Black October 26th, 2020 04:09 PM

Hi John, thanks very much for posting your concert. I appreciate all the work you put in, many hours trying, testing and balancing to get such a fine result. I always thought if you get the bottom end sounding right then you’re well on the way to getting it all correct.

The white shell over the orchestra is interesting, same problem we had at the Sydney Opera House, to help the members hear themselves. Yes what did they think of the Covid screens, did they hear any difference?

I started checking out your set up, then lapsed into it and watched/listened to all of it. I used my trusty Audio Technica ATH-M50X headphones that Ty Ford recommended here. Love the Beethoven works.

Yeah happy birthday Ludwig.

Cheers.

Andrew Smith October 26th, 2020 06:11 PM

My favorite part was at
when he unceremoniously stomps off with the flowers under his arm. Guess they must have enjoyed hamming it up since the audience wasn't there.

Andrew

John Murphy October 26th, 2020 11:46 PM

Thanks everyone. I truly appreciate you all spending the time to listen.

Paul, the biggest issue for me was the distance between everyone. A major falloff from middle to side. Brass and tympany of course had plenty of power.

Allan, thank you. People outside of such a performance don't know how much goes into the music. I'm not sure how much the screens affected the sound because I could not move them. Certainly had an impact.

Andrew, your right. I don't know what happened at the end. I am going to discuss with Maestro what I think should happen at the finish of the show. I genuinely think he was affected by the lack of audience.

Thank you all again. John

Bob Hart November 4th, 2020 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Murphy (Post 1961832)
Thanks Allan, it is so nice to be involved in such beauty as a symphony concert.

For anyone who is looking for about 5 minutes of pure joy, take a listen at about 24:40. Wonderful.

MASTERWORKS CONCERT II: Beethoven & Shostakovich - YouTube

j

I have to agree with you on that, a pure delight.