I'm feeling a bit smug at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 8th, 2020, 02:13 PM   #1
Inner Circle

I'm feeling a bit smug

Most of the music I compose and record I have been sticking on the streaming and downloading platforms. My own stuff and covers and sometimes re-arrangements of well known songs. Most instrumentals or even backing tracks. Every few months I get a settlement from PRS, our UK rights agency - I think the last one was £6.86. The stuff on iTunes, Google Play, Spotify and the others is paid in Dollars and low enough I don't bother to take the money out.

I got a bit more on this distribution, and instead of a few hundred streams, it was 2000. As they paid $00.003 per stream, that's not really worth getting excited over, but I noticed the first few items were for the same track - ELO - Mr Blue Sky. A backing track I did a few years back for a stage show. It led me to TikTok - something I have avoided. up to 1.30 secs of silly videos of people doing daft things. I went to TikTok to see my music - about 20 odd tracks on 900 videos! Clicking further my jaw dropped. Mr Blue Sky is sitting at just over 3 MILLION streams. Quite a few videos have 700K, 500K, 400K likes. Each one uses the same 90 seconds or less, and they are individually listed on my settlement - but the one I have is for just a few days of it. Next one is 2-3 months. If it has not 2000, but 2,000,000 my Covid pay situation is going to be more healthy!

I'm not remotely expecting big money - because I'm sure there will be caps and hurdles, but I'm just amazed that my music has gone from hundreds of listeners to millions. At the very least, I'm going to add something to my website mentioning this. I don't care the videos are often very strange, it says my name on each one!

I bought a new sampler package with ethnic instruments so produced a demo with them - including a Duduk (Ryan's favourite) and now I have some Indian guy singing to my music - it's just weird!

I suppose I can now say I'm an internationally known musician, he he!
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio