Frustrations with wireless Sennheiser system - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 18th, 2021, 05:02 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Frustrations with wireless Sennheiser system

I've got a number of shotguns - short and long and I hate their sound indoors - last resort recording for me. My favourite for speech is the Beyer M201 which was the BBC local radio and 'round table' mic of choice for years. It's hyper and sitting on a desk stand gives a decent sound at a little more distance than the presenter's mic, but with a similar acoustic.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2021, 05:27 PM   #17
Major Player

Rick - I'm going to try out the frequencies that you suggested. Thank You! The actual microphone attached to the transmitter is new. I recently purchased it when this whole mess started. (Unfortunately, the problem persists.) I never thought to consider, or ensure, that the transmitter antenna be kept off bare skin, though. THAT's an easy fix! Again, Thank You!! As for the "shotgun" mic that I plan to use?!?? It's a Sennheiser MKE 600, described as a "super-cardioid/lobar". It's the only one that I own which is "super-cardioid". (Not sure what "lobar" means.) Please read further as I respond to Bruce Watson.

Bruce - Hi. Thank you for taking the time to share your insights and suggestions to my audio problem. Let me share a little bit about myself. From audio/video recording point of view, I am "a hack". In other words, I'm a "learn as I go" and a "trial & error" kind of guy. Also, I rely on the kindness and expertise of others to help guide me through the more challenging situations like what I'm currently experiencing. With that said, I've been "trialing and error-ing" for a long time. LOL! So, I do have some of the basic problem-solving stuff down. For example, I put fresh batteries in for each "gig" or audio/video recording session. Also, I DO use headphones (specifically, the AKG 240 MKII). LOL! Seriously, though. I may or may not be using the best equipment. I honestly do not know. But, I can't afford "the latest and the greatest". (My wife would KILL ME!! LOL!) We're just starting out with video-recording my wife's cooking segments for YouTube. We've been doing this on a semi-regular basis for a few months, now. (So far, my wife has 10 subscribers!!! LOL!) Although I've been doing some kind of videography since around 2006, I'm far from an expert. I do have a degree in composing music. . . specifically in "Film Composition" that I received back in 1982 (from the "famed" Berklee College of Music. . . when it costed $5,000/year for room, board and tuition.) I learned film composition using moviola film editing machines (both upright and flat-bed). So, with film-scoring and film-editing being what it is today, with today's computer-based technology, I'm also "a hack" with these skill-sets. (I learn as I go. . .) I deeply respect the experience and expertise that you, and pros like you, bring to forums such as this one. Again, thank you. And. . . I thank you for your patience with "hacks" like me.

However. . . I am an expert ICU/CCU Nurse. Been doing the nursing thing for 29+ years. (Next year will be 30!!!!) I'm very good at "keeping 'em alive 'till seven-o-five"!! LOL!

On to video-taping my wife. She'll be ready to start in about 10 minutes. Gotta turn on the lights, camera, and action! LOL!

Peace, folks. I say this sincerely. It's been a tough year for all of us. Please be safe. (This past year, I've "bagged and tagged" a couple of covid-19 patients. We're even seeing these poor souls in the teeny-tiny hospital where I work.)

P.S. Hi Paul. Everything is all set for me to go, unfortunately. This includes the Sennheiser MKE 600 microphone. It's obvious that I'm going to need to do more research on the better types of microphones to use in our situation. I will check into the Beyer M201 mic, for sure. Thank you. :)

Last edited by Ed Fiebke; February 19th, 2021 at 02:22 AM.
Ed Fiebke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2021, 05:15 PM   #18
Major Player

A follow-up on the other night's video-recording session with my wife. . .

I used both microphones, each assigned to their own track on the Zoom H6 audio recorder. In preparation for Sennheiser's wireless lavaliere system, I turned off our WiFi mesh (all 3 Eero devices), our two smartphones, set the transmitter/receiver to one of the frequencies as suggested by Rick Reineke (553.500), and ensured that the antenna to the transmitter didn't touch human skin. For the "overhead mic", I used the Sennheiser MKE 600. It was aimed about 6" above my wife's wife for the cleanest possible sound.

There seemed less bursts of static sounds from the wireless lavaliere system. But they were there. I remain stumped to the cause of these sounds.

As for the quality of sound using the "overhead mic", it was OK. My wife's voice was clearly heard. But it picked up some of the "room sound". Not much, though (at least to my modest ears).

As for the flourless Chocolate Torte, sweetened by a touch of maple syrup, that my wife baked for this particular video segment?!? Well, according to my loving wife, it tastes like "Ka-ka". LOL! (I don't think she plans on putting that particular video on her YouTube web-page.)

Please know that I am grateful for the insights and suggestions that you shared.

I hope all are well. . . and all keep well. Peace!

Ted
Old February 20th, 2021, 05:58 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Thx for the update. I wasn't convinced the mesh was the issue since most consumer devices including your phone operate on a different spectrum 2.4ghz as opposed to 500. UHS wireless devices would be more likely effected by tv/radio towers. Like I said before get digital recorder w/lav it's not that expensive, it takes the guess work out and guarantee to eliminate any interference.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2021, 08:13 AM   #20
Trustee

I think you said you have a pair of the Sennheiser systems. In normal use, do they both get noise bursts at the same time?

As a test, can you use just one transmitter, and tune both receivers to the same frequency? Do both receivers get noise bursts at the same time?

Consensus seems to be that your issue is not dropouts. If you were getting dropouts, I'd question signal strength. In theory of course all antennas should be the same "polarization" ... ideally all vertical. At really short range and bouncing around a kitchen, I think this is less likely to be the problem. So this is really a very long shot.

I have to agree: you won't have RF problems with portable recorders! There are a few variables, but you might even be able to use your Senny mics with your new recorders.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2021, 11:31 AM   #21
Inner Circle

I’m a little confused as to how you are testing. Do I understand correctly that you change some things, then record a show, then review it for quality?

Related, how many of the frequencies Rick R listed above have you tried?

If you’ve not yet done so, it’s time for some tedious channel flipping while listening with headphones. Test every single one of those freqs with any nearby phones *or LTE devices* (some Apple Watch, tablets) turned off or in airplane mode.

It does take a minute for every single change of frequency. If you find a clear channel write it down and keep going. If you hear static/interference/noise in your headphones during a show stop recording and change to a different clear frequency you’ve identified.

Also check any Squelch settings in the receiver’s menu. Try Medium or High settings if available. If Pilot Tone is turned off turn it on.
Old February 21st, 2021, 12:10 PM   #22
Major Player

Seth - I've tested some but not all of the channel frequencies that were recommended to me. (I allowed frustration to get the best of me, unfortunately.) You're right, though. Testing every single channel is the proper thing to do. As for the squelch settings?? I believe that it's set to medium. I believe that the Pilot Tone is on.

Greg - For the sake of clarifying things, I have a pair of receivers that are set to the same frequency of the one transmitter that's being used. The frequencies to the two receivers and one transmitter are changed to the same channel when changes are made.

Last evening, I purchased a lavaliere microphone that will be directly connected to the Zoom H6 audio recorder. Hopefully it'll be delivered by this coming weekend (when my wife and I are both off from work, and able to do more video-recording). The wireless transmitter/receiver idea is being put aside for now. I will still test things out, but at my own pace, without the anxiety of problem-solving this audio-related issue while attempting to churn out videos for my wife's new YouTube cooking channel.

You all are kind and generous in offering your collective input and suggestions! I am sincerely grateful!!

Peace! :)

Ted
Old February 21st, 2021, 12:18 PM   #23
Trustee

I had two sources of interference using Sennheiser wireless mikes, when I was doing video. One was from cellphones (which apparently check in with the network periodically) and the other was with another nearby Sennheiser wireless system, on a different frequency. Perhaps the IF stages conflicted, don't know. This has been a lengthy thread, sorry if I'm duplicating something others have said.
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2021, 12:19 PM   #24
Inner Circle

A cable will, if you can manage it properly, and it doesn't get tangled, provide a much, much safer system if you are in a dodgy area - can you borrow a radio scanner, and with your kit off, listen on the frequency and see if you hear any bursts of RF?
Old February 21st, 2021, 12:36 PM   #25
Major Player

Paul - I purchased the "Sony ECM-77B Miniature Omnidirectional Lavalier Mic", which has a 9 1/2 foot cable (with the standard 3-pin XLR - male connector). It can be powered either by phantom power or one AA battery. I purchased a regular XLR cable to add length, and to make connecting and disconnecting easier for my wife in-between takes. As for borrowing a radio scanner, I don't know anyone who owns one. I wouldn't even know how to use one, I'm embarrassed to admit.

Battle Vaughan - Thank you for your input. My wife and I live in the middle of the woods. I doubt that there's anyone near me, or even in my town, that would use the Sennheiser wireless system that I own. HOWEVER, there might be people who own ham radios, though.

I'm stumped. I've used these wireless systems in live performance situations in years gone by. These 3-player performances were often in large conference rooms in large hotels in large cities. I've had worn-cable issues, but not the type of issue that I'm currently experiencing.

Just for the kicks and giggles. . . Here's an OLD photo of one of our Too Live Nurse performances, taken . . . oh. . . 20+ years ago. I used an older Sennheiser wireless lavaliere system back then. Good times. . . good times! Just click on the link to view the photo. Enjoy! :)

http://www.toolivenurse.com/photos3/...Show10_jpg.jpg

Last edited by Ed Fiebke; February 21st, 2021 at 01:49 PM.
Ed Fiebke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2021, 02:11 PM   #26
Inner Circle

Love it! Ed - re the radio people suggestion - the hams are an odd lot, but get fun out of radio mysteries - so google your town and ham radio club. I bet there is one, and you could email them - I've actually done a bit of interference finding this week - had a knock on the office door and somebody asked if I could help track down some interference to their marine radios (my office is near a busy port area). Tracked it down quite simply to a microwave in a kitchen in their building - every time somebody used the oven, their boat radio didn't work!

Seriously - if there is a radio ham presence - they might be willing for a bit of investigation! Just ask.
Old February 21st, 2021, 02:26 PM   #27
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson View Post
Love it! Ed - re the radio people suggestion - the hams are an odd lot, but get fun out of radio mysteries - so google your town and ham radio club. I bet there is one, and you could email them - I've actually done a bit of interference finding this week - had a knock on the office door and somebody asked if I could help track down some interference to their marine radios (my office is near a busy port area). Tracked it down quite simply to a microwave in a kitchen in their building - every time somebody used the oven, their boat radio didn't work!

Seriously - if there is a radio ham presence - they might be willing for a bit of investigation! Just ask.
A microwave could be the culprit here too but the audio clip sounds like communication than a pulsating AC wave you get electric interference. I've always found it more useful to have a plan B when using wireless. Most jobs you have limited time to trouble shoot, you just move to plan B, whether that be wired or audio recorder.

Last edited by Pete Cofrancesco; February 21st, 2021 at 07:00 PM.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2021, 06:34 PM   #28
Trustee

Ed ...
Solving problems with trial-'n-error take time; been there, done that, for many years.

A lot of very good suggestions here and after reading over the posts there is one that Chris made back in #9 that might be worth taking another stab at:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post
Plan B:

Forget the house and take camera/ wireless system/ wife and self to "ElremoteLoc" at least 10 miles from anything resembling civilization as we know it Jim and even further than that from any cell tower, if such is possible.
CS
Only this time, taking the two systems outside and away from the house a few hundred yards to get away from as much electro-magnetic interference (EMI) as possible that might be emanating from the house. Do a test of the two setups to see if the noise still exists. Do the turning off of the cell phones and maybe getting away from the car, too.

Another few questions:
Is this interference at any kind of a regular interval? Or is it sporadic?
Any connection with the heating system fan? Refrigerator start-up? Electric motors have an in-rush current that peaks at startup.
With a heater, there is a time when it heats up then another when the fan starts blowing the air.
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2021, 06:49 PM   #29
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Fiebke View Post
Greg - For the sake of clarifying things, I have a pair of receivers that are set to the same frequency of the one transmitter that's being used. The frequencies to the two receivers and one transmitter are changed to the same channel when changes are made.
Ted, one important question you didn't answer ...

Do both receivers have the noise hits at the same instant, or at different times? If both are hit at the same instant, that would suggest some strong source of RF interference nearby.

Also: does your cookstove use combustion for heating (as opposed to an all-electric range)? If combustion, does it have an electronic igniter? Something that crude might tend to spew out interference over a wide range of frequencies.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2021, 06:56 PM   #30
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson View Post
re the radio people suggestion - the hams are an odd lot
Hey, I resemble that remark! K3GEM, originally licensed in 1978.

EDIT: By the way, hams would not legally be transmitting in the frequency range used by your mics, so they should not be causing the interference.

However, they can legally receive in that frequency range, so as someone suggested, they might be able to help you locate the source of interference.

Last edited by Greg Miller; February 21st, 2021 at 10:53 PM.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio