DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Advice about an extension cable for microphone of my camera (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/537883-advice-about-extension-cable-microphone-my-camera.html)

Adriano Moroni April 4th, 2021 04:43 AM

Advice about an extension cable for microphone of my camera

Hello,
I would like to use the microphone from my camera and put an extension cable on it to be able to do interviews, or even other things like singing.
I had seen this cable: https://www.amazon.it/SUCESO-Prolunga-Maschio-Intrecciato-Compatibile/dp/B07K46MDW5/ref=sr_1_3?__mk_it_IT=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%[/url] 95% C3% 91 & dchild = 1 & keywords = suceso% 2Bcavo% 2Bextension% 2Baudio & qid = 1617519304 & s = electronics & sr = 1-3 & th = 1

I am also attaching a photo of the microphone cable jack.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z440dfipor...audio.jpg?dl=0

Can you tell me if the microphone will work without problems?

I would also like to know if I can connect the extension jack on my Asus Zenbook, laptop, to be able to record voice.

THANK YOU for your kind info.

Paul R Johnson April 4th, 2021 07:32 AM

Re: Advice about an extension cable for microphone of my camera

Yes - that cable will do fine - the only snag with doing long cables using 3.5mm connectors is they fall out quite easily - so you need to take the weight off the connectors and use a bit of tape to stop pulls or moves pulling them out.

As for the computer? I'd plug it in and see what happens - usually, there are two possible scenarios - it will work, or it won't. Who knows? Why haven't you tried it?

Adriano Moroni April 4th, 2021 07:59 AM

Thanks a lot for your interesting info.
Out of curiosity: it is constructed with Braided Nylon. Don't you think it's too stiff to put a microphone in?

My mic doesn't work with my Zenbook, maybe the reason is because it has only one connection for headphones and mic (both with same connection).
Thank you again.

Paul R Johnson April 4th, 2021 08:16 AM

The stiffness is a different issue - conventional mic cable is larger and softer. 3.5mm cables are usually used fort headphone extensions, to be honest.

There is a warning that my very poor Italian makes me think about? It says it is NOT suitable for microphones. However this does say it is OK to connect up to speakers and other audio equipment - so I am GUESSING the cable is screened. If it is just three onscreen conductors then it will probably hum like the devil. However, for the price it is worth trying as it probably is screened. Not sure why they give the warning. Mic cable is fine for headphones, but unscreened headphones not for microphones - so it's a bit of a gamble to be honest -- BUT -- I think worth the risk. The wording suggests they don't really know much about it!

Rick Reineke April 4th, 2021 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adriano Moroni (Post 1964383)
My mic doesn't work with my Zenbook, maybe the reason is because it has only one connection for headphones and mic (both with same connection).

It likely needs a TRRS (tip-ring-ring-sleeve) 3.5mm plug. A standard headphone plug is TRS (tip-ring-sleeve). On many laptops, and some smart phones, standard HPs are compatible, There are adapters available on Amazon, eBay and elsewhere.. OR.. there may be a setting somewhere.

Adriano Moroni April 4th, 2021 09:20 AM

I don't understand well.
Maybe do you mean ir? http://www.amazon.it/dp/B07K47JRJ9/?...kCode=ogi&th=1
Thanks

John Nantz April 4th, 2021 10:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The braided sheath 3.5 mm cable option has one advantage and that is flexibility. I got a couple of them for use with a sport cam (Sony X3000) and an external recorder, while the cam was mounted on a gimbal. The cable had to be light-weight and very flexible so it wouldn’t impact movement of the cam on the gimbal.

To achieve a high degree of flexibility, you know that the internal conductors have to be really fine wires, so, given that, the qustion is, how robust is the cable? The concern “will work without problems?”, then just addressing the cable itself and not the end terminals, the answer would be “Yes”, but conditioned based on the quality of the audio and now long it would last.

If high flexibility and low weight is not a priority, or must-have, if it were me, I would spring for a more robust 3.5 mm cable that would likely last longer and provide a cleaner signal. I think the cable itself is delicate, and that is just a personal opinion. For the use I'm putting it to it works very well.

Patrick Tracy April 4th, 2021 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adriano Moroni (Post 1964383)
Thank you again.

Something like this might do it.

https://www.alzodigital.com/products...no-mic-adapter

Pete Cofrancesco April 5th, 2021 12:22 AM

The mic might not work because it could require power or need more amplification than a laptop can provide. This is why most people use usb mics or an external mic pre amp when connecting it to a computer.

Adriano Moroni April 5th, 2021 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco (Post 1964395)
The mic might not work because it could require power or need more amplification than a laptop can provide. This is why most people use usb mics or an external mic pre amp when connecting it to a computer.

Do you mean if I buy a USB adapter, then my mic will work fine wirh laptop?

Adriano Moroni April 5th, 2021 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick Tracy (Post 1964393)

One last piece of advice since you are more experienced than me. But is there any software that you can install in the laptop that can split the headset from microphone, instead of buying that splitter cable? If there wasn't this possibility, I'll buy it tomorrow, but I'm curious to know if it can be done without it.
Thanks again.

Paul R Johnson April 5th, 2021 08:59 AM

No - if your mic has a 3 circuit jack, and the camera is expecting a 3 circuit jack, then apart from the screening which we don't know - electrically it will work. Some computers are designed to use the 4 circuit connectors - so headphone L, headphone R, mic and shared ground. These will either work or not when you plug your mic into a computer socket - probably 50/50 depending on make and age.

A USB mic device usually has the expectation of a XLR balanced microphone being plugged in. This, you do NOT have.

It's the price of a happy meal - so order the cable and try it. All we can do is guess!

Rick Reineke April 5th, 2021 09:45 AM

I recently bought a China made Y-adapter on Ebay for a two dollars. It has a single 3.5mm TRRS plug on one end, and two 3.5mm female jacks on the other, one for a mic, the other for headphones. It worked as it should, If you will using it a lot, better quality adapters can purchased from the usual smartphone suspects.

Adriano Moroni April 5th, 2021 11:31 AM

Now I understand better.
Do you have a pic of that cable please?
Thank you

Rick Reineke April 7th, 2021 02:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
<i>Do you have a pic of that cable please?</i>