DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   What causes these cut outs? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/538391-what-causes-these-cut-outs.html)

Kathy Smith November 3rd, 2021 05:21 AM

What causes these cut outs?

1 Attachment(s)
Can anyone identify what caused these cut outs?

Andrew Smith November 3rd, 2021 07:48 AM

Re: What causes these cut outs?

Gosh, that could be so many things. I was first thinking it might involve a cable but it's on a regular pattern.

Can you describe the setup for the audio/video recording? Also, we could do with a much longer sample.

Andrew

Don Palomaki November 3rd, 2021 08:46 AM

+1^, Agree that it sounds most like a cable/connector issue, with the regular interval driven by a fairly uniform motion that induces the cable/connector motion; e.g., walking, or rocking chair.

Is it audio only or was there associated video that might provide additional insight into the situation in which it was recorded?

Rick Reineke November 3rd, 2021 08:52 AM

Sounds like a cable/connection issue..though RF interference is a possibility if a wireless mic is being used. Without more information, it's a wild guess..
As Andrew stated, "describe the setup for the audio/video recording?"

Kathy Smith November 3rd, 2021 09:56 AM

It was a wireless transmitter/receiver. Receiver was connected to MixPre-3. It was a Sony dual UHF system. I don't remember the model. The person was walking.

Paul R Johnson November 3rd, 2021 10:09 AM

Is the squelch turned up too high - it's the RF dropping below the cut-off point.

Kathy Smith November 3rd, 2021 10:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a longer sample

Don Palomaki November 3rd, 2021 10:45 AM

The cut-out & cut-in wave forms strike me as being too varied and loud to be squelch driven. It looks very much like something driven by a loose or failing 3.5 mm phone jack/plug in the chain. Possibly on the transmitter as well as on the receiver side.

Is there any point where the problem stops or lessens, and does that correspond to a change in the walking pace? (In the longer sample the we see the problem for about 30 seconds, it clears for 40 then returns.)

Was the recording done on the PreMix-3, or was it used as a mixer to feed a camcorder or other recording device device?

Also I would not expect squelch issues if the transmitter and receiver are within a reasonable distance of each other; 30 feet no, but 300 feet yes, unless it is a unusual venue with lots of walls and extensive metal in close proximity to the transmitter and or receiver. (Or possible nearby transmitters on frequencies close to those used by the wireless system.)

Kathy Smith November 3rd, 2021 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Palomaki (Post 1966308)
The cut-out & cut-in wave forms strike me as being too varied and loud to be squelch driven. It looks very much like something driven by a loose or failing 3.5 mm phone jack/plug in the chain. Possibly on the transmitter as well as on the receiver side.

Is there any point where the problem stops or lessens, and does that correspond to a change in the walking pace? (In the longer sample the we see the problem for about 30 seconds, it clears for 40 then returns.)

Was the recording done on the PreMix-3, or was it used as a mixer to feed a camcorder or other recording device device?

Also I would not expect squelch issues if the transmitter and receiver are within a reasonable distance of each other; 30 feet no, but 300 feet yes, unless it is a unusual venue with lots of walls and extensive metal in close proximity to the transmitter and or receiver. (Or possible nearby transmitters on frequencies close to those used by the wireless system.)

I can't pinpoint whether the problem lessens as the person stops walking, I'll be able to see that tomorrow, when I get the footage. The recording was done on the PreMix-3. I tested the recorder with a wired mic prior to this recording and there was no issue

Andrew Smith November 3rd, 2021 04:19 PM

I think it's definitely a flaky cable or a loose connection, and it's not going to be fixable.

Don't bother waiting for the video files to arrive. Someone will have to record the interview again, and get a rap on the knuckles for not monitoring the audio while the interview was in progress the first time.

Andrew

Pete Cofrancesco November 3rd, 2021 08:54 PM

Could also be handling noise when clothing rubs up against the mic. You should always be wearing headphones monitoring the audio so you can address the problem at the first sign of trouble. If lav mic placement isn't right or the subject knocks the mic off is common lav problem. Like other suggested a faulty cable or connection is another common problem. As equipment ages the risk of a bad connection/cable goes up. It's also not a bad idea to invest in an audio record with lav as a backup. Wireless can be unreliable especially if you're renting or borrowing someone else's equipment. One of the first lessons you learn with live event work you live and die with the equipment you use there are no second takes. If it's an important event and the audio is messed up you'll either need to refund the client and they might never hire you again. So own your own high quality equipment, have intimate knowledge and experience with it, and have backup or redundant audio source.

Kathy Smith November 4th, 2021 03:22 AM

Thank you everyone. This was just a test. We were monitoring the audio. We knew there was an issue. I'm just trying to identify what caused it.

Andrew Smith November 4th, 2021 07:03 AM

Gosh Kathy, thought you had a real serious issue here.

Try wiggling the cable to cause the issue to happen 'on demand'.

Andrew

Pete Cofrancesco November 4th, 2021 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Smith (Post 1966315)
Gosh Kathy, thought you had a real serious issue here.

Try wiggling the cable to cause the issue to happen 'on demand'.

Andrew

I thought the same thing that this was from a paid live gig. I was getting nervous contemplating the conversation with the client.

Kathy Smith November 8th, 2021 03:22 PM

Sorry Andrew and Pete that I didn't say that. I like to do tests before I do the real thing.