What causes these cut outs? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 3rd, 2021, 05:21 AM   #1
Major Player

What causes these cut outs?

Can anyone identify what caused these cut outs?
Attached Files
File Type: zip Problem.zip (307.4 KB, 12 views)
Kathy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2021, 07:48 AM   #2
Equal Opportunity Offender

Re: What causes these cut outs?

Gosh, that could be so many things. I was first thinking it might involve a cable but it's on a regular pattern.

Can you describe the setup for the audio/video recording? Also, we could do with a much longer sample.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2021, 08:46 AM   #3
Wrangler

+1^, Agree that it sounds most like a cable/connector issue, with the regular interval driven by a fairly uniform motion that induces the cable/connector motion; e.g., walking, or rocking chair.

Is it audio only or was there associated video that might provide additional insight into the situation in which it was recorded?
Old November 3rd, 2021, 08:52 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Sounds like a cable/connection issue..though RF interference is a possibility if a wireless mic is being used. Without more information, it's a wild guess..
As Andrew stated, "describe the setup for the audio/video recording?"
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2021, 09:56 AM   #5
Major Player

It was a wireless transmitter/receiver. Receiver was connected to MixPre-3. It was a Sony dual UHF system. I don't remember the model. The person was walking.
Old November 3rd, 2021, 10:09 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Is the squelch turned up too high - it's the RF dropping below the cut-off point.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2021, 10:41 AM   #7
Major Player

Here is a longer sample
Attached Files
File Type: zip Problem2.zip (1.75 MB, 7 views)
Old November 3rd, 2021, 10:45 AM   #8
Wrangler

The cut-out & cut-in wave forms strike me as being too varied and loud to be squelch driven. It looks very much like something driven by a loose or failing 3.5 mm phone jack/plug in the chain. Possibly on the transmitter as well as on the receiver side.

Is there any point where the problem stops or lessens, and does that correspond to a change in the walking pace? (In the longer sample the we see the problem for about 30 seconds, it clears for 40 then returns.)

Was the recording done on the PreMix-3, or was it used as a mixer to feed a camcorder or other recording device device?

Also I would not expect squelch issues if the transmitter and receiver are within a reasonable distance of each other; 30 feet no, but 300 feet yes, unless it is a unusual venue with lots of walls and extensive metal in close proximity to the transmitter and or receiver. (Or possible nearby transmitters on frequencies close to those used by the wireless system.)
Old November 3rd, 2021, 11:15 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Palomaki View Post
The cut-out & cut-in wave forms strike me as being too varied and loud to be squelch driven. It looks very much like something driven by a loose or failing 3.5 mm phone jack/plug in the chain. Possibly on the transmitter as well as on the receiver side.

Is there any point where the problem stops or lessens, and does that correspond to a change in the walking pace? (In the longer sample the we see the problem for about 30 seconds, it clears for 40 then returns.)

Was the recording done on the PreMix-3, or was it used as a mixer to feed a camcorder or other recording device device?

Also I would not expect squelch issues if the transmitter and receiver are within a reasonable distance of each other; 30 feet no, but 300 feet yes, unless it is a unusual venue with lots of walls and extensive metal in close proximity to the transmitter and or receiver. (Or possible nearby transmitters on frequencies close to those used by the wireless system.)
I can't pinpoint whether the problem lessens as the person stops walking, I'll be able to see that tomorrow, when I get the footage. The recording was done on the PreMix-3. I tested the recorder with a wired mic prior to this recording and there was no issue
Old November 3rd, 2021, 04:19 PM   #10

I think it's definitely a flaky cable or a loose connection, and it's not going to be fixable.

Don't bother waiting for the video files to arrive. Someone will have to record the interview again, and get a rap on the knuckles for not monitoring the audio while the interview was in progress the first time.

Andrew
Old November 3rd, 2021, 08:54 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Could also be handling noise when clothing rubs up against the mic. You should always be wearing headphones monitoring the audio so you can address the problem at the first sign of trouble. If lav mic placement isn't right or the subject knocks the mic off is common lav problem. Like other suggested a faulty cable or connection is another common problem. As equipment ages the risk of a bad connection/cable goes up. It's also not a bad idea to invest in an audio record with lav as a backup. Wireless can be unreliable especially if you're renting or borrowing someone else's equipment. One of the first lessons you learn with live event work you live and die with the equipment you use there are no second takes. If it's an important event and the audio is messed up you'll either need to refund the client and they might never hire you again. So own your own high quality equipment, have intimate knowledge and experience with it, and have backup or redundant audio source.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2021, 03:22 AM   #12
Major Player

Thank you everyone. This was just a test. We were monitoring the audio. We knew there was an issue. I'm just trying to identify what caused it.
Old November 4th, 2021, 07:03 AM   #13

Gosh Kathy, thought you had a real serious issue here.

Try wiggling the cable to cause the issue to happen 'on demand'.

Andrew
Old November 4th, 2021, 10:26 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Smith View Post
Gosh Kathy, thought you had a real serious issue here.

Try wiggling the cable to cause the issue to happen 'on demand'.

Andrew
I thought the same thing that this was from a paid live gig. I was getting nervous contemplating the conversation with the client.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2021, 03:22 PM   #15
Major Player

Sorry Andrew and Pete that I didn't say that. I like to do tests before I do the real thing.
Kathy Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio