Connect USB speaker to XLR input at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 18th, 2022, 03:28 PM   #1
Major Player

Connect USB speaker to XLR input

Is there a converter or cable which would allow me to connect USB speaker to XLR input on my recorder?
Kathy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2022, 04:25 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Connect USB speaker to XLR input

Do want the audio that is going to the USB speaker also routed to an analog input?
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2022, 04:53 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Funny you said this I had the same question. I do stream recordings through OBS I recently added usb speaker phone/ microphone device. It provides great mic and sound compared to the built in laptop mic and speaker but I would have appreciated it if I could pass through the sound to another device for backup recording.

There might be other devices such as a mixer or usb sound interfaces that allow you to send audio to multiple sources
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2022, 09:55 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy Smith View Post
Is there a converter or cable which would allow me to connect USB speaker to XLR input on my recorder?
Other than putting a microphone in front of the speaker, not really.

Maybe replace the speaker with a USB interface and proper powered speaker so you can access the audio in an analog form.
Patrick Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2022, 11:27 PM   #5
Vortex Media

Quote:
You don't say what you are you trying to do. Are you trying to take audio out of a computer via USB and capture it on a recorder or camera? If so, you don't need a speaker for that. A device like this will give you a 3.5mm audio output that can then be easily adapted for XLR. If you also need to hear the audio at the same time, then you can connect a small speaker (or a pair of headphones) to the headphone jack of the recorder.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1518575-REG/audio_technica_consumer_atr2x_usb_atr2x_3_5mm_to_usb.html/BI/2855/KBID/3801

or maybe even this
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1442282-REG/apple_mu7e2am_a_usb_c_to_3_5_mm.html/BI/2855/KBID/3801

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1537947-REG/kondor_blue_kb_xlr35_xlr_male_to_3_5mm.html/BI/2855/KBID/3801

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1585490-REG/blackfire_btsm1_portable_wireless_speaker.html/specs/BI/2855/KBID/3801
Old February 19th, 2022, 02:24 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Why would you connect a speaker to an xlr input? Usb or analogue, that makes no sense.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2022, 05:58 AM   #7
Vortex Media

I assume she's feeding a USB speaker from her computer (or phone, tablet) and she wants to HEAR the audio at the same time she is also RECORDING the audio on another device (camera or audio recorder).
The method she is trying to do is not the best way to accomplish it . . . if that is what she is doing. Not enough information is given to us about what she is trying to do for us to really be of much help.
Old February 19th, 2022, 12:49 PM   #8
Major Player

I’m sorry everyone. I don’t know where my head was when I wrote this post. I meant to write “microphone” where I wrote “speaker”.

So I want to connect a USB microphone to XLR input on my recorder. Is this doable with some cable or adapter?
Kathy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2022, 01:35 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
I’m sorry everyone. I don’t know where my head was when I wrote this post. I meant to write “microphone” where I wrote “speaker”.

So I want to connect a USB microphone to XLR input on my recorder. Is this doable with some cable or adapter?
Nope. A USB microphone needs to be connected to a computer. You might be able to connect it to a computer and then route it to the headphone output and adapt that to an XLR input, or get a USB audio interface and route the signal out of that.

You really just need a conventional microphone that has and XLR output.
Patrick Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2022, 12:12 AM   #10
Old Boot

Just to be completely clear on this, there are mics that do output both USB and XLR. Audio-Technica have options : https://www.audio-technica.com/en-us...-an-xlr-input/. Read the link and it will become clear. Cables and connections are just that, they only connect sources and pass them on to an input. We either have a Digital Output mic which outputs a Digital signal through USB, that’s yours, or an Analogue Output mic, which can output through XLR. A-T have recognised the need for outputs to be both, and have this mic which can do this. I don’t know of other mic manufacturers that can output both Digital and Analogue outputs, but there could be?

So, Signals are Signals (Digital or Analogue) and Cables/Connectors are just that, Cables/Connectors.
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2022, 11:08 AM   #11
Trustee

It would be helpful to know what particular mic you are asking about. Some USB mics have a headphone output so the talent can listen to the signal in real time (without any digital latency). Of course a headphone output is most likely not as clean as the USB output (or as clean as an equivalent analog mic).

There are devices available to convert between analog and USB. But they won't work for your situation. Such devices are USB "clients" and your mic is also a USB "client." Computers, OTOH, are USB "hosts." A client can connect with a host and pass data back and forth. But two clients cannot communicate with each other.

I can think of two possible solutions (but I'm assuming I know what you want to do, because you haven't given us any details).

1.) Plug the USB mic into a laptop; record the audio on the laptop. Simple.

2.) Plug the mic into a smartphone; record the audio on the phone. BUT there are several roadblocks. Most phones are "client" mode so won't communicate with your mic. A few phones also directly support "host" mode. Some phones need a special OTG cable, which allows the two "clients" (your mic and the phone) to communicate. But then there's the issue of correct drivers. And the issue of what recording software is on the phone, and how the phone processes the signal. There are many obscure details about Android, and different versions have different audio details. And the "i" side of the world is just ... different. So you're walking into a bee's nest if you want to go this route. It may or may not be possible; results may or may not be satisfactory.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio