Shotguns indoors at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 17th, 2022, 04:12 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Shotguns indoors

I started making some youtube videos and people I know keep emailing with suggestions and I got one saying that it was OK to make videos in the studio where the acoustics were good - and the differences between mics were subtle at best, so how about spaces not so good, so I took some shotguns into the office and got some quite unexpected results. I discovered the on-camera mic, that has always recorded audio that I've even occasionally used, is actually horrible sounding, and the Sennheiser 416 that usually works well must have been in one of those unfortunate positions where reflections (or something) made it sound a bit boxy. Another mic performed better, unexpectedly. This video then got me a suggestion to take the same mics into the studio and do the comparison again. What actually jumped out at me was that the mic I've been using for a comparison - a dynamic Shure SM7B actually sounded better, tonally, than some of the shotguns and I'm thinking maybe it would be quite a nice boom mic, when you actually don't want the constant battle with aiming the microphone.

Anyway - here are links to the first video and the follow up.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2022, 11:33 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Shotguns indoors

One would need a preamo with lots of clean gain with a Shure SM7 mic,which is typically used in close mic'd situations..
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2022, 03:18 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Re: Shotguns indoors

Yep - but most people plug in the cloudlifter and just leave it connected - I do, but with the cloudlifter, it performs pretty decently and is far less upset by 'aiming' errors. I think it did pretty well in the office, when some of the others were less successful there - but OK in the studio. I really wasn't that impressed by it at first, but so far it's doing everything far better than I expected.

I'd like to find out if broadcasters in the US still use Fischer Booms? I suspect some might still use them (we do in the UK in sit coms still) and wonder what the preferred American studio boom mic is?
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio