44.1 mhz conform to 48 mhz (or vice versa) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 7th, 2022, 04:14 PM   #1
Regular Crew

44.1 mhz conform to 48 mhz (or vice versa)

Hi, I've bought Lensgo lwm-328c wifi mic set with two mics (transmitters). The transmitters record a signal to an internal micro sd card, so you don't miss anything. They also obviously send a signal to the on camera receiver. This is recorded at 48mhz. However, the internal signal records to the microsd at 44.1 mhz.

over time, the two go out of sync. Can I conform one to another so this does not happen? If so, how? I use Vegas 17 software btw. Or do I need to render one file type to another and if so which to which is best?

thanks for any insight.

Ian
Ian Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2022, 04:34 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: 44.1 mhz conform to 48 mhz (or vice versa)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Chapman View Post
Hi, I've bought Lensgo lwm-328c wifi mic set with two mics (transmitters). The transmitters record a signal to an internal micro sd card, so you don't miss anything. They also obviously send a signal to the on camera receiver. This is recorded at 48mhz. However, the internal signal records to the microsd at 44.1 mhz.

over time, the two go out of sync. Can I conform one to another so this does not happen? If so, how? I use Vegas 17 software btw. Or do I need to render one file type to another and if so which to which is best?

thanks for any insight.

Ian
I think that you mean 44.1kHz and 48kHz sampling rates.
Steve Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2022, 07:22 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Since most if not all cameras record video with audio only at 48khz it's easier to set the audio recorder with the same sample rate so you don't get drift. If your recorder doesn't allow for 48khz then you'll either need to use the wireless signal that was received by the camera and only use the recording as backup. In order to use the backup recording you can stretch the audio to match the video in your editor but since this is very difficult I would only recommend doing so in an emergency.

Last edited by Pete Cofrancesco; April 8th, 2022 at 12:05 AM.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2022, 11:13 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Vegas Pro is pretty flexible with different sample rates. It will resample on the fly, so that's not a problem. If the clocks are accurate, it should stay lined up. One second is one second regardless of how many samples are being recorded in that time. If the recordings are drifting, at least one of the clocks is a bit off.

It's actually pretty easy to stretch audio in Vegas. What I do is find two reference points (ideally some really obvious loud sound), one near the beginning and one near the end. Then I trim back the audio that I'm going to stretch to those two points and line the up the one near the beginning. Then I go to the end where the second reference point doesn't line up and Ctrl-drag that edge left or right as needed to line it up. Once it's stretched or squeezed to match, I drag out the edges. The stretching/squeezing will propagate to the dragged out areas.
Patrick Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2022, 01:18 AM   #5
Inner Circle

It’s really a pain having to do this, and don’t forget it’s not just time but pitch that gets mangled if you don’t fix it. Virtually all audio DAWs and things like sound forge, audition and free audacity will resample properly. The pain is eased, for me at least by me adding the sampling rate to the file name, so I just add 44 or 48 to the name at an early point to remind me so I don’t grab a file from the bin and mess things up later in the edit.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2022, 02:06 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Just to be clear, you can drop a 44.1 kHz file into a 48 kHz Vegas Pro project and it will seamlessly resample on the fly and play at the right speed. The only issue is if a recording device clock was off. Then you need to stretch or squeeze the clip to match.
Patrick Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2022, 04:08 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I wish Premiere did that!
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2022, 06:09 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Game View Post
I think that you mean 44.1kHz and 48kHz sampling rates.

yes, my mistake KHZ
Old April 8th, 2022, 06:12 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Tracy View Post
Just to be clear, you can drop a 44.1 kHz file into a 48 kHz Vegas Pro project and it will seamlessly resample on the fly and play at the right speed. The only issue is if a recording device clock was off. Then you need to stretch or squeeze the clip to match.
ill investigate that...thanks
Old April 8th, 2022, 08:57 AM   #10
Inner Circle

In Vegas Pro, you can even have different audio sample rates and bit depth clips (aka, Events) on the same track, Vegas is primarily a video editor but has a very substantial DAW built in..A few things it lacks is naive side-chaining and currently does not support VST-3 FX plug-ins. IMO it is much more intuitive than ProTools .or SloTools as I call it,
FWIW, when Vegas was initially released by Sonic Foundry in 1999, it was a (audio only) DAW. .Rudimentary video editing was added soon after. The current version is Vegas Pro 19 and is currently published by Magix who acquired Vegas, Sound Forge and Acid from Sony in 2016. btw, I have been a Magix forum moderator since 2017 and a Sound Forge beta tester since 2011.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio