DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Schoeps CMC 641 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/54005-schoeps-cmc-641-a.html)

Ty Ford August 3rd, 2006 11:24 AM

Yes 702T

Ty Ford

Martin Taidy August 3rd, 2006 11:33 AM

Wow, thanks for the fast reply, Steve and Ty. Ouch, all these is going to cost so much. I gotta brace myself for bankruptcy haha.

I have one last question guys. For the shockmount, I should get the universal PSC mount right?
Do I need to get the mount adapter as well? -> as in this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

Carlos E. Martinez August 3rd, 2006 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Taidy
5) Shockmount: PSC? (any better suggestions?)
6) Wind protection: Rycote
7) Headphone: Sony MDR 7506

5) You should look for a better shockmount. The PSC is recommended for slightly more rugged microphones. The Schoeps and other higher quality mikes are a bit handling sensitive, and I prefer thin-rubber types (like the Schoeps A-20 or adapting the Beyerdynamic EA37). The microphone should "float" in the suspension when you move the combo.

6) Get a Rycote combo (suspension + blimp) for external use and get a quality foam windshield for internal use. Schoeps has some plastic windshield balls with silk as screen that are light and quite good, though not cheap.

7) Try other headphones from Beyer, AKG and Sennheiser too. If possible with the mixer and mic.

Martin Taidy August 3rd, 2006 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlos E. Martinez
5) You should look for a better shockmount. The PSC is recommended for slightly more rugged microphones. The Schoeps and other higher quality mikes are a bit handling sensitive, and I prefer thin-rubber types (like the Schoeps A-20 or adapting the Beyerdynamic EA37). The microphone should "float" in the suspension when you move the combo.

6) Get a Rycote combo (suspension + blimp) for external use and get a quality foam windshield for internal use. Schoeps has some plastic windshield balls with silk as screen that are light and quite good, though not cheap.

7) Try other headphones from Beyer, AKG and Sennheiser too. If possible with the mixer and mic.

Carlos, I was under the impression that PSC is recommended for more sensitive mics. I guess if I'm getting Schoeps mics then the logical thing to do would be to get a Schoeps shockmount as well?

What do you mean by external and internal use for the Rycote? I thought if I get the combo, I can use it both for indoor and outdoor? Are there different requirements?

The Sony MDR 7506 seems good enough to me and most people in this forum seem to lean on that one as well.

Steve House August 3rd, 2006 03:45 PM

Quote:

...The Sony MDR 7506 seems good enough to me and most people in this forum seem to lean on that one as well.

The 7506's are an industry standard and you can't go wrong with them. Another option that provides somewhat better isolation are the Sennheiser MD25 if that's an important issue for you. Me, I have 7506s.

Carlos E. Martinez August 3rd, 2006 04:49 PM

Quote:

Carlos, I was under the impression that PSC is recommended for more sensitive mics. I guess if I'm getting Schoeps mics then the logical thing to do would be to get a Schoeps shockmount as well?

All those shockmounts that hold the mic with the rubber itself have some limitations. The rubbers have to be tight in order to secure the microphone. So the microphone can't float on the rubbers, which I think is what filters fishpole handling noises from getting to the mic.

Suspensions as the PSC are good for certain microphones with capsules that are already suspended or isolated inside the tube. That is not the case with most condenser mics.

Buying a shockmount from the same brand as your mics is a good idea, but you may look for others that are similar and might be cheaper and/or better made. If I am not wrong the Schoeps is plastic made, which I don't think is a good thing.

But look for that design type elsewhere. AKG, Beyer, or some Eastern Europe made mics. Look for metal types that will hold the Schoeps.

Quote:

What do you mean by external and internal use for the Rycote? I thought if I get the combo, I can use it both for indoor and outdoor? Are there different requirements?
Yes, the requirements are different. The ideal thing would be you could use the internal setup (Schoeps shockmount, foam/silk windscreen) outside too, but wind can be a problem. So you need a different way to solve the wind noise. Rycote type blimps are usually large too, so it's difficult to use them inside, due to big shadows and low ceilings.

But Rycote now makes an X type shockmount, resembling the Schoeps, except the rubbers are a bit tight. You can tune those rubbers for the Schoeps so they isolate vibration better. In that case you might get away with the same suspension for indoors and outdoors. Indoors you just pull the blimp out and use the foams. Look for that info in Rycote's and Schoeps site.

Quote:

The Sony MDR 7506 seems good enough to me and most people in this forum seem to lean on that one as well.
I use them too. But they may be a bit bass-light. You should listen to some others and see what you prefer. Headphones are very much a personal thing.

Martin Taidy August 5th, 2006 09:54 AM

Well, thanks for the input everyone. I really appreciate it. Now I'm off to get lighting equipment. I guess I'll post our finished work in the Show Your Work section, which should be in a couple months!