Excellent low cost shotgun microphone? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 9th, 2005, 11:55 PM   #1
Major Player

Excellent low cost shotgun microphone?

Ok, after you throw away the microphone that comes with the HD 100 (and you will want to do this), you might be wondering what a good substitute would be for it?

I have just got the Rode NTG-1 and I have to say it is an excellent short shot gun for the very low cost. Very surprised. The low cost does not mean low quality. It is solidly built and the sound quality is excellent and not too far off, for example, a Sennheiser 416. In my view much better than say the ME 66 which has an awful off axis response (but good on axis response outside).

I was pleasantly surprised because I am not a particular fan of the NTG4/5.

Rob
Robert Castiglione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2005, 12:13 AM   #2
Trustee

Hi,

What's the noise floor with that mic on camera and then off camera remotely?
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2005, 03:14 AM   #3
Major Player

One of the microphone's definite strong points is that there is no audible self noise. (I am listening right now through a Metric Halo ULN - 2). You can find the actual specs on the Rode site. It is a very quite microphone. No complaints there. Easily comparable in this regard to the top of the range short shot gun microphones.

On axis it has quite a warm sound.

I have just been testing it as against a Schoeps MK41 and a Senn. MKH40. OK those mics have the edge and of course you pay for that. In particular off axis response of the Schoeps is great, easily better than the Rode.

But I think that the point I am trying to make is that it is untenable to keep the mic that comes with the camera and if you are the sort of person that cares about your audio and you want to put a decent substitute microphone on your camera for a surprisingly low price this is certainly a good choice.

I would not be embarrassed to use this mic. on a boompole either.

Rob
Old November 10th, 2005, 04:43 AM   #4
Major Player

how much?

how much is low price?
Jemore Santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2005, 05:40 AM   #5
Major Player

I bought it here in Australia for $300.

Rob
Old March 1st, 2006, 11:51 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Know anywhere to get a nice, short mic cable to use with it that will still fit in the cable retainer on the body of the camera?
Robert Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2006, 12:42 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Jackson
Know anywhere to get a nice, short mic cable to use with it that will still fit in the cable retainer on the body of the camera?
It's just a basic XLR, anyone who can solder will be able to modify or make the cable for you. I modified the existing cable by replacing the straight XLR connector with a right angle to keep the overall profile of the camera narrow. I just found the stock cable sticking out a bit too much. I will do the same with another short cable for my Sennheiser ME66. The right angle XLR connector is around $5-6.
Old March 2nd, 2006, 01:01 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Bakala
It's just a basic XLR, anyone who can solder will be able to modify or make the cable for you. I modified the existing cable by replacing the straight XLR connector with a right angle to keep the overall profile of the camera narrow. I just found the stock cable sticking out a bit too much. I will do the same with another short cable for my Sennheiser ME66. The right angle XLR connector is around $5-6.
My soldering skills suck. Heh...

You know, I'd really love a short cable with one of those Neutrik right-angle plugs, now that you mention it. If I could get it with cable that had a black braided cover I'd feel like James Bond. ;-)
Robert Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2006, 08:56 AM   #9
Major Player

I hear ya Robert...

Can you find a pro audio supplier around you? They should be able to make you a smoking custom James Bond cable with right angle XLR for some $30.00 - and hey, they might even have a rainbow cable...:-)
Old March 2nd, 2006, 09:09 AM   #10
Wrangler

Is anyone opposed to me moving this thread into the "Now Hear This" forum so the audiophiles can join in?
The HD100 is inconsequential since a good shotgun will benefit any camera.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio