Impressions of Rode NT5? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 24th, 2005, 04:31 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Impressions of Rode NT5?

Wondering what the general user feedback might be on the Rode NT5 small diaphram condensor mics for general purpose dialog and vocal, location music, and ambience recording. How might they compare to mics such as the A-T 3031? Anyone have alternate favourites in the same general price point.
Old November 28th, 2005, 08:59 AM   #2
Trustee

Some of my posts have made reference to this. The differences are small, but I prefer the AT3031. It has lower self-noise, higher sensitivity, a little wider frequency response, as well as bass roll-off and pad switches.
I know this is minor, but I also prefer the clips with the AT's.
The Rode windscreens are thicker if you're working in a drafty area or you need to boom indoors with a cardioid.
While the Rode case for the NT5 pair is nice, it's just plain big for packing in with other gear for the field.
I don't know how closely Rode matches the stereo pairs. That might be an advantage for music, but AT mics are very consistent and you could buy them one at a time if budget made that necessary.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio