Audio Setup at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 30th, 2005, 07:21 AM   #1
Major Player

Audio Setup

I'm considering a low cost upgrade (under $500) to my editing computer for audio...what I'm considering is:
M-Audio 192 card
M-Audio LX-4 monitors
...and Mopads :-)
Thoughts...
Mark A. Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2005, 07:56 AM   #2
Major Player

I started out with the m-audio usb b/o box for i/o ... poor results.

Since then, I have added the M-audio pci based card with the b/o box with 1/4" rts jacks. I suppose it's now legacy gear but this delta unit has been quite nice. Superb! Low noise and nice pro inputs.
Jimmy McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2005, 10:39 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I too am biased towards pro interface, meaning balanced in and out and +4 line levels. I guess the question for you is do you have or do you plan to purchase any more pro audio gear? If so, you'll be happier if it all works together on standard ins and outs.

The least expensive way to get this when I was equipping a new PC almost a couple years ago was the Echo Audio Mia. TRS in and out, plus s/pdif, plus the current model has MIDI as well. It's been great.

I've recently added an M-Audio Delta 1010 to that system and it is also very good indeed.

Can't comment on the M-Audio monitors, but yes, if you've not been using reference level monitoring this will be a very good move!

One thing you've not mentioned is a mixer. VERY handy in getting sound in and out of your computer. If everything comes in on digital video tape or CD and goes out on DVD or something I suppose it's not as important, but I use mine all the time. Say, to lay down scratch narration, dub to VHS, or put my laptop audio over the good speakers, or dub to/from minidisc, or listen to my MP3 player or whatever. I use a Mackie 1202 VLZ Pro, it's great. So are any number of small mixers, such as the Soundcraft Spirit Folio Notepad and ???. Even a Behringer, I suppose. If you go this way, look for a mixer that has separate monitor and line outputs, and at least one mic preamp is handy.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2005, 12:57 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Depending on your audio recording source, you might want to consider the M-audio 1818. If has optical inputs that lets you capture multiple tracks simultaneously. I use an 8 track ADAT digital recorder for audio so it's a nice feature to be able to use light pipe to capture audio.

Barry Oppenheim
Barry Oppenheim is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio