Good Field Mixer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 17th, 2005, 12:13 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Good Field Mixer

Hey guys,
I've got a shoot coming up next month and I'm needing some advice as how to set up my audio. Here is what I'll be looking at...

I've got two Azdens, I'll be using as a ambient mics.

Two wireless handhelds,

Two AKG lavs. I'll be running a minimum of three cameras, more than likely 4. 3 xl1-s, 1 GL-2. I'll only ne running audio to 1 with a MA-200 oon the back. Iyt is going to be in an opera house with 700-1000 in attendance,

Now, the azdens, I'm going tyo run mono into a stero channel to basically get a little L/R presence for applause an so on. I was looking at getting the EURORACK MXB1002 from Behringer, because of the battery powered option.

Are there any other portable mixers that can run more than 4 XLR mics?

Oh BTW, I know I can run a feed from the main board, but I'll probably do a direct out feed to a seperate board (EURORACK MXB1002?) make sure I get a good mix.

Also, what in line adapters do I need from board to camera?

Thamks!!

Bryon <><
Bryon Akerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2005, 12:43 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I have the Behringer mixer and have used it for similar shoots - for the koney, it's excellent, but the sound quality doesn't compare to my Sound Devices 302 which has only 3 XLR inputs...
Go with the 1002!
Graham Risdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2005, 12:56 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Since you're in a fixed venue you might forego battery operation and go with something like one of the Mackie compact mixers. 12, 14, or 16 channels are available in their VLZ pro line.
Old December 19th, 2005, 08:41 AM   #4
Trustee

Some additional questions:
Which Azden mics are you using for ambient sound? If you're going to run them together in mono, then I'd just use one mic. Or if you need more coverage I'd keep the two mics in a coincident pair.
Which wireless handhelds are you using? Do they have base-station type receivers or portable receivers? If base-station, they can usually go into the mixer at line-level and free up some of your mic inputs.
Are the AKG lavs wired or wireless?
How far apart will your cameras be from each other?
Are you going to battery power all the cameras and any video monitors you're using?
What is your plan for splitting or mixing the channels out to the cameras?
If you must go battery powered on the mixer, then the MXB-1002 is really the only low-cost option with this many inputs. Like Steve said though, a Mackie 1402-VLZ Pro would be my first choice for this kind of activity.
If you handle the board feed separately, what do you plan to record it with?
There are a variety of ways to send the signals to the cameras, but that would really depend on how you want to split or combine the mics.
Lastly, will you have a dedicated person to run the mixer during the live recording?
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 10:23 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Good points - I use a 1402 when there's any mains power about!! Pre-amps are much better than the Behringer...
Graham Risdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 10:55 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Risdon
Good points - I use a 1402 when there's any mains power about!! Pre-amps are much better than the Behringer...
Got my eye on a VLZ 1642 after the dust in the wallet settles post-holidaze

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio