Camera Settings W/ Field Mixer? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 18th, 2005, 09:36 AM   #1
Major Player

Camera Settings W/ Field Mixer?

I'm looking to get a little field mixer like the BeachTek DXA-4S for use with my XL2 and boomed shotgun. God knows that there's enough to do at the camera end without having to fiddle with the sound controls as well.

When using such a setup (mic>mixer>camera), where do you set the volume controls at the camera? Seems like you should set them at Max, then dial it down at the mixer, but my "logic" has been faulty in the past, so I thought I'd ask.
Jack Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2005, 10:41 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I understand setting the camera level controls somewhere between 60 and 75 percent of full-up is optimum for most cameras. Then adjust the Beach's controls to give you an average recording level of -12dbfs on the camera's meters.

IMHO, the Beach will be redundent with an XL2. The Beach DXA-4s are really more of an XLR to phono or miniplug adapter than they are a mixer. But you already have XLR inputs on the XL2 so you don't need an adapter. Besides, it's going to be as awkward to adjust its controls while you're rolling as it is to adjust the camera's. Better to get something such as the Sound Device's MixPre for the boom op to clip to his belt and use to monitor and adjust levels during the shot from his end. Send the MixPre output via XLR cables and a line-to-mic level pad direct to the camera's XLR inputs. Calibrate everything with tone so a 0db indication on the MixPre's meters results in a -12dbfs recording level in the camera.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio