DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   All Things Audio -- topics from 2002 thru 2004 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/5703-all-things-audio-topics-2002-thru-2004-a.html)

Aaron Rosen May 21st, 2003 02:53 PM

Quality

Is this mic similar in quality to the ME66/K6 combo?

Bryant Sentosa May 22nd, 2003 02:27 PM

What mixer for video deposition?

I'm interested in getting into video deposition.

Can anyone tell me some recommended make and model for mixer, mics, and PZM for that type of occupation.

I'll be starting out so price is a factor, but not the only one.
Since it is for a business, I'm willing to spend a little more than
the Radio Shack version.

Please see my post in "Taking of Business" - Article: Notice: Deposition Videographer

I have several questions, if anyone can help me.

Thanks
Bryant

Josh Bass May 23rd, 2003 03:23 AM

Booming tips

So that next time I don't have to do so much tweaking in post, can someone give me tips on using a shotgun mic, specifically the Sennheiser ME66, for recording dialogue?

I've heard about two feet from the person(s), and aimed at the collarbone area, not the mouth. Is this right? Should you hold the mic point down at them from above, or up at them from below? Does it matter?

I'll be using the XL1s. I've been using the MIC ATT 20 setting for Audio 1, where the ME66 plugs in, because without the attenuation I hear a background noise no matter where I am. . .just a basic nasty hiss. I also have the bass rolloff switch off--meaning the more . . .um bassy frequencies are allowed to be picked up.

The show I'm doing the audio for has to master louder than it should. I go for around -6db, instead 0f -12 (which is the standard, right?). Should I let it peak at -12, and raise it in post? Is this better than raising it so that it peaks at -6 while recording?

Apparently I have no idea what the hell I'm doing. Please help!

Christopher Go May 23rd, 2003 05:02 AM

Hey Josh, might want to check out Jay Rose's book Great Sound for Digital Video over at Amazon or your nearest bookstore. Some good info on booming in Chapter 8.

Then there's a collection of great articles at Equipment Emporium.

You should aim for the mouth getting as close as possible without dipping into the shot (some people place white tape at the end of the microphone so directors know when it enters the shot accidentally). One suggestion is to practice with a small flashlight in place of the microphone and keep the light on the actor's mouth. Should also get familiar with the dialogue so you can boom appropriately. Lots more in the resources referenced above, I recommend checking them out. I'm learning too.

K. Forman May 23rd, 2003 05:15 AM

I'll second Jay Rose's book ( I didn't even know he had one out!), that man knows his stuff. As far as which direction to mic from and does it make a difference? If you mic from above, sounds have a way of bouncing off of surfaces... like the ground. This isn't necesarily a bad thing, it just means you will have a bit more bass I believe. If the talent is wearing hard soled shoes on a basketball court, you will have to adjust for major reverb and echos.

Also... I believe that -3db is where you should aim for.

Stu Minnis May 25th, 2003 02:20 PM

field mixer

Well, I know nothing about PZMs, but I can definitely recommend a mixer. The Shure FP24 is a great 2-channel field mixer in the middle price range (about $800). It has dual XLR in/out, a stereo mini out (great connection to mini-in camcorders), phantom power, VUs, tape return, phantom power, high-pass (at either 80 or 160), full channel assignment, even a slate mic and a 1k tone generator. Good stuff...

Jeff Donald May 25th, 2003 03:59 PM

If you are always going to have access to AC I would use one of the small Mackie mixers. The 1202 is well under $400 at most places.

David Crompton May 26th, 2003 10:41 AM

EcoCharge

has anyone used the Battery products made by EcoCharge? It's an external power source (battery.) I am thinking of buying one but haven't spoken to anyone that has used one...I'm going to use it for a Tascam DAP1...

Yonathan Gal May 26th, 2003 01:28 PM

SONY ECMHS1 MIC - Opinions?

Hi there people,

After filming people and talkign with them in a busy room, the sound quality was quite poor because of so mcuh backgroudn noise. So someone got me this as a present, being told that it improved quality and cut out abckground noise.

Does anyone know how effective this is, and how much of an imporvemeent it is over the built in mic on a SONY DCR-TRV950E ?

Is it good enough for making a short ow budget movie outdoors, or should I perhaps consider a better microphone? Thanks very much :)

Glen Elliott May 26th, 2003 01:47 PM

Audio Levels w/ DVX100 & Sennheisser ME66

I've noticed in loud environtments (particularly ones that are fairly quite that peak quickly to loud...like an applauding crowd) I get distortion. I set my levels in such a way in my DVX100 so that it's mostly in the white and that it NEVER spikes yet I still get minor distortion when a crowd is screaming. Is that because the decibles of the crowd are actually exceeding the limit of my mic? I'm asking because according to my levels I shouldn't of had any distortion?!

Ben Lynn May 26th, 2003 02:05 PM

It's been my experience that ANYTHING is better than a on camera mic.

Yes it will improve your audio and clean up the sound but shotgun mikes are mostly used for B-roll, not main audio tracks when making productions so it won't do you well if your making a short or a video and want to record some dialogue.

Get yourself a wireless mike systems or a boom mike and you'll be much more suited for dialogue production. And your shotgun mike will complement them for b-roll audio.

Ben Lynn

Matt Stahley May 26th, 2003 09:11 PM

That sony mic is ok for general sound . i had bought it for my PC-110 and works better than the on board mic but forget about it when its windy etc. the foam cover doesnt help.also you will want to just use it in shotgun mode and not zoom mode. zoom mode the sound gets real "tinny". It cant even compete with a pro mic but for $75 its not too bad but i would not use it for any serious dialog etc.

Alturo Nguyen May 27th, 2003 05:26 PM

what outboard audio equipment are we using here? DAT/analog nagra?

just a lil' survey on the most popular makes/models of outboard audio equipment here when using xlr/boom poles/etc.
thanks

ie: i'm using nagra 4.2 with 7" reels

Marcello Mongardi May 29th, 2003 12:29 PM

wired interviewee....

Besides the obvious limitations involving movement, are there limitations with having an interviewee wearing a lapel mike that plugs directly into my vx2000? Does the longer lead then lead to disturbance? It seems that it might be the way to go if one is low budget. Am i right.....or just ignorant?

Marcello

Alan Christensen May 30th, 2003 12:39 PM

Plugging into a sound board

I have yet to plug into a sound board to pick up audio. However, I have begun looking at them at the schools where I film performances. Usually the only output on the sound board is a 1/4" headphone output. I'd like to plug into this and connect my Sennheiser wireless transmitter to it. However, I'm not sure if the headphone jack is mono or stereo. I don't want to plug a mono plug into the headphone jack if it is stereo as this would short out one of the stereo outputs. So my questions are:
1. Are these headphone outputs always mono?
2. If stereo, how would I combine the two signals so that I can transmit the mixed signal using a single mono wireless transmitter?
3. What line attenuator would you recommend for cutting the headphone output down to an amplitude compatible with my Sennheiser transmitter? (its expecting a microphone level signal)

Nori Wentworth May 31st, 2003 10:34 AM

Alan,

(1)Headphone outputs are always stereo.
(2)You could try using a stereo-mono cable, (presuming the
wireless input is a 1/4" jack).
(3)This is something you are going to have to test, but I would
imagine either buying a line transformer would work, or maybe
even a small "headphone box/amplifier". There are some
small passive headphone distribution amplifiers that actually
only limit the signal, rather than boosting the signal. You
could probably find one at your local music store or even Radio
Shack.

Does your wireless have an input volume control on it? If so, you might get lucky and actually be able to plug directly into the wireless with no problems.

Hope this helps,

-Nori

Lydia Chicoine June 1st, 2003 11:26 AM

Shure UT wireless

I have a sony pd150 and for a birthday gift I got a shure UT4 wireless. Is this the best thing for using in a documantary type situation? I have a couple lavaliers but the wires have been problems. I'm new at all this and find sound to be difficult at times to say the least. I notice on the booklet with it there is a lot about guitarist use or vocal artist. Should I switch it for something else? Any comment or suggestions would be appreciated.

Alan Christensen June 2nd, 2003 02:16 AM

What recorder do you recommend?

I'm thinking of investing in a separate recorder to capture audio at weddings and other events. The recording device would enable me to capture more audio channels than I can capture with my VX-2000 by itself. Ideally the recorder would record two channels of audio for an hour or more. The recorder would be connected to XLR microphones or a sound board output. Once captured, I would load the recorded audio into my editing system for incorporation into my video production. A direct digital connection would be ideal, but re-recording the analog output from the recorder is also an option. Ideally each recorder channel level could be set manually or to some automatic mode (AGC). I recognize that this sounds a lot like the sound section of a PD150, but I'm hoping that there is something out there that is less expensive and that meets my needs. An inexpensive DV camcorder might be able to fit the bill with a Beachtek or similar XLR adaptor. However most of these don't have the ability to set sound levels manually.
What would you recommend for this application? An MD recorder? If so, what features or model would you recommend? Are there other viable options? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Marco Leavitt June 2nd, 2003 09:58 AM

I've been using a Sony NZ10 minidisc, and have gotten really good results. I bought it over the N707 because you can set the mic sensitivity to low, but in retrospect I don't know if this feature is worth the extra $100. The thing is damn small, that's for sure, and sounds great to my ears. I've since found that most people prefer Sharp minidiscs, which supposedly have better preamps. The controls are also bigger, and easier to manage on the Sharps. The buttons on my minidisc are a little too small for my liking. Keep in mind that the biggest drawback to minidisc is the copyright protection that prevents you from digitally transferring your recordings off the disc. There are ways to defeat this, but it requires investing in expensive equipment and is really a hassle.

Valentine Sinemani June 2nd, 2003 03:03 PM

Wireless Lapel Microphone for VX2000E

I have just started using the VX2000E (PAL) and I am excited about telling my own stories in troubled Africa . I would appreciate some suggestions on what brand model I should use as a wireless lapel mic for my vx 2000 and also a good shotgun mic. I would want to record presenters at workshops and also cover some traditional dancers what type of microphones should I buy. I am intending to produce a talk show where people would be discussing shortcomings of our dictator ( A very old man called Robert Mugabe who has brought a lof of suffering to the people of zimbabwe)

Thank you

Mike Rehmus June 2nd, 2003 03:06 PM

recommend you do a search on the term 'Africa', to see the large number of posts on this specific topic.

Good luck.

Brendan Getchel June 2nd, 2003 03:28 PM

Nady UHF 10 -- $199

I was away (just returned) in Oregon and Washington states for a couple of weeks. I stopped into Fry's Electronics just to check out the "famed" store and see what was up. All-in-all I was rather UNimpressed. They carry absolutely NOTHING in the way of pro video/audio gear, and their prices aren't so hot on the items they do carry (I'm near NYC, so perhaps I'm spoiled).

I bought a good set of Sony headphones and a Nady UHF 10 wireless lav setup because it was only $199 (no sales tax in OR, schweet). The construction of the bodypack transmitter is fairly cheesy, but I baby my gear and construction is secondary to me. It's a "true" UHF "Diversity" mic system and is available in both lav and handheld for the same price. The receiver is AC powered only with both 1/4" and balanced XLR outputs!

Well, I am impressed with the audio quality of this cheap unit. This is the new version with the detachable lav mic (the last version was hardwired to the bodypack), so you can use a better mic if you wish.

For $199 it's a big-time no brainer. I wouldn't use it in bad weather or under physically demanding conditions as it's built in accord with its price, but for most circumstances I believe that just about everyone will be impressed.

Nathan Gifford June 3rd, 2003 11:06 AM

Geeze the Fry's I checked out in Pheonix had a VX2000. Good deal on the UHF.

Nathan Gifford June 3rd, 2003 11:09 AM

Get whatever is approved in that region and does not attract much attention.

BTW, they just threw out one reporter in Zimbabwe after trying to scare the begeezus out of him.

Marco Leavitt June 3rd, 2003 11:28 AM

XLR adapter question

Does anyone know what the line/mic switch on a Studio 1 Pro XLR adapter does exactly? I assume it attenuates the signal from line level to mic level, but how much does it attenuate? The Sign Video Web site (I guess they’re making it now) says “Line Level Attenuation: Varies with camera input - approx 54db”. How can that be? Also, anyone know how I could mount one of these units on a belt? It would be cool if someone made a belt clip that screws into the bottom.

Brendan Getchel June 3rd, 2003 11:30 AM

They had the VX2000, but no real pro gear or pro accessories. I don't really consider the VX2000 a pro camera, but rather for the higher-end or more discriminating consumer.

I believe Sony does not consider it a pro camera either.

Matt Stahley June 3rd, 2003 01:23 PM

The Sign Video box comes with a belt clip that screws on to the bottom. Also comes with the mini jack extension cable.

Marco Leavitt June 3rd, 2003 01:42 PM

Cool. Thanks. I hope they sell it seperately.

Marcello Mongardi June 4th, 2003 11:00 AM

SGM-2X as boom mike

I have decided, after much research (mostly through y'all!) to buy the SGM-2X for my vx 2000. My question is, if I were to interview someone, could I improvise a boom situation? I will be working alone, but am anticipating situations in which i would be able to rig the mike to a pole. How rugged can one get with this? How long a cable can I get away with, and what would I need besides what the SGM-2X comes with (besides the XLR to miniplug adapter)?
If i can get the mike nearer to my subject i would prefer it to the camera mounted option.

Thanks,

Marcello

Jay Enterkin June 4th, 2003 03:14 PM

Re: SGM-2X as boom mike

I have a mic boom stand that I use for static shots, ie. where the subject is not moving. It works great for interviews where the subject is seated or standing in one position.

If the subject will be moving, you'd need a boom operator to hold the mic or you'd have to camera-mount it.

<<<-- Originally posted by Marcello Mongardi : I have decided, after much research (mostly through y'all!) to buy the SGM-2X for my vx 2000. My question is, if I were to interview someone, could I improvise a boom situation? I will be working alone, but am anticipating situations in which i would be able to rig the mike to a pole. How rugged can one get with this? How long a cable can I get away with, and what would I need besides what the SGM-2X comes with (besides the XLR to miniplug adapter)?
If i can get the mike nearer to my subject i would prefer it to the camera mounted option.

Thanks,

Marcello -->>>

Marcello Mongardi June 4th, 2003 06:52 PM

Thanks for the info. Are there any technical specifications to look out for (how i mount it, etc.), or can i cowboy it? What about the cable? What kind of cable should I buy, and does more length make the quality inferior?

Thanks again.

Marcello

Bill Cory June 9th, 2003 01:03 PM

About Professional Sound Service in NY

I got a tip in this forum regarding Eric Perez at Professional Sound Services, in New York. They custom make and provide short (1 foot, for example) XLR M-F cords with right-angle connectors. Perfect for my VX2000, Beachtek and Azden SGM-2X. I called and ordered a 1-foot cord with right angles at both ends, cost totalled $34.00.

That was on May 5. I was told by Eric Perez it would be shipped that week. As of today, June 9, I have talked to Eric Perez three times in the last three weeks, and his receptionist "Mona," three times, and both of them -- each time -- have stated that they wold send the cord out by Next-day shipping "because they had taken so much time with it." Mona *promised* she would send it out Next-Day UPS, back on Wednesday, June 4. Today, June 9, I called her and asked where it might be? She gave me a tracking number ... it was shipped via UPS GROUND and should be delivered here June 11. Just a ˇˇCAUTION!! to people dealing with this company; you practically have to FORCE them to send your goods. Six weeks for a 1-foot cord? Inexcusable. Maybe in New York they think they're immune from customer relations.

Alex Knappenberger June 10th, 2003 06:41 PM

Playing audio and recording at the same time...on different tracks.

Hey, I've tried everything to play back a loop through fruityloops and record with a microphone in a few different programs (vegas, cool edit pro, and some small program)....it doesnt work. I need a playback through my headphones to "sing" to the music (i'm making stupid songs, for fun) and it records the playback from fruityloops along with the input from the mic everytime. I know a simple way would be to make a cd of the loop and play it back from like a cdplayer, but it should be easier then that.

In my sound properties, disabling the wave in the record, would fix it, but that also disables it in the playback properties...

Do you have to have a special sound card or what?

Matt Stahley June 10th, 2003 08:40 PM

Alex look into Pro tools i believe they have a free 8 track version but im not positive.this should allow you to monitor the playback track while cutting the vocals to a second track.

Dany Nativel June 10th, 2003 10:13 PM

Good deal on MM-1 mic pre-amp

I just wanted to share a good deal I've had with AudiMidi regarding the Sounddevices MM-1 pre-amp.

You may have heard about this (very) rugged device that gives you total control over your sound recording. I like it's versatility and performance over the regular XLR adaptor boxes :

- active mic amplifier (up to 66dB) …. So you can the cam's gain all the way down to avoid it's crappy pre-amp stage.
- Great headphone monitoring (you won't never come back to the cam to monitor the sound)
- Active limiter so when shooting single man you wont clip the audio
- Phantom power (12 or 48V) out of 2xAA batteries.
- Can be used with a camera (belt mounting or on a shoulder mount) but also as a single unit for a boom operator recording on DAT or Minidisc for example.

It's a mono unit (see the mixpre and others but more expensive).

Bottom line is you can usually find this unit at $475 from the manufacturer's website. I paid $305, including free ground shipping from Audiomidi.com (it's not on their website but they get it for you).
Zotz was also pretty close to that price too so check with DVinfo sponsors.

Again I couldn't believe how rugged and well built this unit is. You can drive you SUV over the MM-1 .. It wont break.

So I hope others will enjoy this incredible accessory (who said gadget?)…

Dany

PS: I'll be back with some other deals

Jeff Price June 11th, 2003 08:22 AM

Foam windscreen for ME-66

Any recommendations for or against different foam windscreens for the ME-66? I know Sennheiser makes two varieties (one with velour and one without). The Markertek catalog has some foam ones that are even cheaper.

How good/bad are the Markertek foam windscreens? I know Lightwave makes one, I'm sure it's very good (I have one of their equalizers) but I'm looking in the <$50 range right now. If there is too much wind I'm not going to be using the shotgun anyway so the onboard mic with its equalizer will work fine. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like Mikemuff makes one for this model yet.

Michael McConnell June 12th, 2003 08:56 PM

audio pimp documentary question

*****newbie alert*****

I'M USING A sony XV-2000 XLR (BEACHTEK ADAPTER)..AZDEN MOUNTED SHOTGUN MIC...WIDE ANLGE LENS...Light pretty good...OK THOSE ARE THE SPECS.

I'm doing a short documentary piece on a street pimp (i'm serious) and i would like to read your suggestions on the audio set up you would use if you were me. I'll be on the streets of bronx,ny after hours. I have an idea already but, i wanted to ask you guys what you think.

Matt Stahley June 13th, 2003 04:11 PM

i use a similar setup with my VX2k only its a sign video XLR box and a ME66. I get good audio run and gun style like talking to people on the streets etc. with the mic mounted on cam. i would suggest a windscrenn like one made by Lightwave or Rycote.This will make all the difference.

Michael McConnell June 13th, 2003 08:57 PM

cool, i was worried i would need a boom operator for this, which i could not pull off due to weird circumstances i'm under--I actually tested my set up out last night and the audio was suprisingly good when i watched it on t.v.

Jeff Price June 15th, 2003 03:12 PM

Cheap foam windsock?

I rapidly decided that I needed a windsock for my new Sennheiser ME-66. More out of necessity than cheapness I've been trying to find something locally to use until I get something better. A trip to the local Radio Shack turned up a short shotgun foam windsock for $4 (claims to be audiofoam). By using two of them, and cutting the top off of one, I have a foam windscreen that coast $8. It was a snug fit and took some care to get it on but hard to beat the price. I doubt it will last very long but should do the trick until I get something better.